Have Your Spending Habits Changed?

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
A couple of years ago I wouldn't think twice about spending money. Now, I clip coupons, limit my purchases, and save more money.

Has anything changed for you in these tough economic times?

i've always been a coupon ***** and that's saved me tons of money over the years. I tend to watch my spending a little more now. Most of the money I spend goes towards golf now and I rarely go out for drinks, dinner, etc. A lot more carpet picnics at home and going to friends/neighbors' homes

i've always been a coupon ***** and that's saved me tons of money over the years. I tend to watch my spending a little more now. Most of the money I spend goes towards golf now and I rarely go out for drinks, dinner, etc. A lot more carpet picnics at home and going to friends/neighbors' homes

Going out to dinner is enjoyable. But it's also the quickest way to rack up credit card charges if you go often. We've also cut back a little there as well.

I have recently started to watch my purchasing. We are trying to eat at home more often and I definetely will not be buying any new clubs for a while. The economic downturn finally started to hit my bonus checks and they have virtually disappeared. Until things pick up, our lives will be set on frugal.

Nope, nothing's changed.

I was broke and poor before it started. I've been laughing at all the folks who have been forced to make 'lifestyle adjustments'.

I'm not spending any less personally (I get an "allowance"), but what I do spend has shifted into golf and away from other hobbies. But I do take advantage of any deals I see for golfing, like two-fer green fees, discount cards, etc.

As far as a family goes, we've shifted spending there as well, now that we have a college student :bulgy-eyes: on the payroll, but we're definitely not spending any less than before. The joke is that we should be going out more because with my daughter away at college, it costs less every time we go out as a family.

I made a few minor changes. I shop my closet more frequently now and will look for a sale when buying clothes.

See the problem with our economy is just that, people are afraid to spend money. I didn't get much out of a B.S. in Economics but I did learn this. Supply and Demand require people to spend money. The less we spend the fewer the jobs and the more the media scares the crap out of people. So no I spend as much as I ever did and if I lose my job so be it. That is the way the cookie crumbles, I'm marketable enough that I will always find work and if not I'm not ashamed to mow lawns to feed my family.

Nothing really has changed. We are fortunate that both my wife and I have good, secure jobs with good income. I guess the only change has been that we are not saving as much but that is due to having two kids in college now. We used to live pretty much on one of our incomes and save the other and use a little of it for vacations. Now a chunk of it goes to the university.

My spending habits have changed from me spending most of my "mad" money to my Grand Kids spending some of it for me. Typical example; Two young Grand Daughters just joined up for "Bobby Sox Softball". Two gloves $60. Two pairs of cleats $75. Shin guards $48. Sliding pants $18. Sports socks $15. Mouth guards $10. Two helmets $59. Two bat bags $42. Two bats $45. All this, plus any team sales events I will be required to make purchases from. The joy of being able to watch all this equipment being used is no less than priceless. :clapp:

Work has still be pretty steady for me, so this economy hasnt really effected me much. My spending habits have changed, but I think for me it was more a case of me growing up as a person and realizing that having all kinds of toys (snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles, etc) and a shiny, new car to drive isnt the key to happiness.
I used to be all about that kind of stuff but now as long as Ive got a car to drive that doesnt break down on me all the time and Im able to play golf at least once a week, Im happy.

My spending habits have changed from me spending most of my "mad" money to my Grand Kids spending some of it for me. Typical example; Two young Grand Daughters just joined up for "Bobby Sox Softball". Two gloves $60. Two pairs of cleats $75. Shin guards $48. Sliding pants $18. Sports socks $15. Mouth guards $10. Two helmets $59. Two bat bags $42. Two bats $45. All this, plus any team sales events I will be required to make purchases from. The joy of being able to watch all this equipment being used is no less than priceless. :clapp:

That is one of the reasons I was glad my kids all wanted to play soccer. Cheap uniforms and cleats, one ball. You could outfit an entire team for under $1000.

Business has definitely slowed down so I have kept an eye more on my spending. The Amex bill is way less then it used to be and I think larger purchases through more now.

Nothing has changed for me.

Not changing so much as reprioritizing. I realized just how much I was spending on diet coke out of vending machines at work, now I drink tea. That allows me to spend a little more on hobbies, but I'm still spending.

Not really noticed a down turn in my field, but sadly it is one that has been around far longer than any of us and will only abate after Christ comes. Though I do look forward to times when some of my skill sets are not needed again.

Though the ecnomy has changed my spending habits in some ways cause now friends do not want to go out for lunch/dinner as much and less people want to go to movies etc, preferring home based activities. Yet I appreciate this a little more since those memories are far warmer to dwell on in difficult places. IMO quality and quantity away from distractions in a more personal setting give me motivation to stay the course whether that be on a training ground, away from home or out on patrol.

Our spending habits haven't changed much. I didn't get a raise this year, and my bonus was about $5k less it was last year, but my wife was promoted so it all balanced out.

Back