dannyka

Reaction score
Handicap
11.0 GHIN
As the temps start to fall along with the leaves, I wonder if any of you switch from a summer ball to a winter ball. From what I've heard and read, when the temps are colder, the ball is harder, so you want a softer ball to hit.

Also, I found out last year that as the leaves fall, it's easier to lose a ball under all that, so I wouldn't mind switching to a less expensive one either. Of course, if I just kept it in the fairways, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but I digress.

So the questions here are 1) do you switch to a Winter Ball and 2) is there a softer ball (assuming that's correct for lower temps) that's fairly inexpensive and still spins decently off the wedges? (Yeah, I know, I'm not asking for a lot...) I'm looking at maybe the Top Flite Gamer and the Noodle+. Others?

Thanks!

Look for quality 3 piece balls or 2 piece balls with a urethane cover. The entire E series from Bridgestone come to mind. As does the Wilson Staff Zip.

I use the same ball no matter if the temps are 40* or 80*.

I use the same ball no matter if the temps are 40* or 80*.

Yup... me too. I don't really see any difference. I don't play if the temp is much below 45° anyway.

I don't plan on changing what I play with - but then again it just doesn't get that cold down here except maybe a couple mornings in Jan/Feb it might get down to 40 overnight as a low. I miss the autumn up north with the beautiful color changes and actually having more than two seasons (hot and hurricane).

I will be switching to the Wilson Staff 50, or Zip ball because they are readily available. If I had my choice, and was not so lazy to drive across town I would go with the Volvik line of soft, 70 compression balls.

I will be switching to the Wilson Staff 50, or Zip ball because they are readily available. If I had my choice, and was not so lazy to drive across town I would go with the Volvik line of soft, 70 compression balls.

If you like the lower compression balls prov, try the new lady iq plus. They work quite well.

I don't switch balls, but I do put hand warmers in my pockets to keep the ball warm. Before you say anything - handicap season is closed and I'm not posting any scores when I do this. Winter rules.

I do put hand warmers in my pockets to keep the ball warm.

Always a good idea to keep your balls warm. :clapp:

Always a good idea to keep your balls warm. :clapp:

yeah... I never play as well when my balls are cold... it's just plain distracting.

OP - I use the same balls all winter... but right now I'm looking for a new ball, so who knows. Maybe I'll try some D2 feels and keep it cheap for winter, then go back to some bridgestones or something.

last winter I used the Precept Laddie and the Wilson Zip. I think this off-season I will be sticking more with the Zip.

last winter I used the Precept Laddie and the Wilson Zip. I think this off-season I will be sticking more with the Zip.

I have used the Laddie quite a bit in the past seeing as how they are dirt cheap at Walmart. But I wouldn't call them a low compression winter ball. They feel pretty hard & clicky to me.

I have read that if you keep your golf balls in the house it doesn't matter what you play because you would have finished your round before the temperature could affect the golf ball's playability.

Thanks, I might try them out if I ever see them. The name does not ring any bells off hand.
If you like the lower compression balls prov, try the new lady iq plus. They work quite well.

Precept/Bridgestone makes them.

Thanks, I might try them out if I ever see them. The name does not ring any bells off hand.

They're the ball that GG sent to Claire, Soxy and me to test. We all wrote reviews. You should definitely try them.

I will be playing Pro V1X for the rest 2009. Our "winter" season means firmer greens...:alien2:

Check you local TJ Maxx if you like the Wilson 50.They had a bunch here on sale yesterday for $7.00 per dozen. I bought some just to try out and I liked them.

When I lived where it actually got cold in the winter, we would collect any "Pink Lady" balls we found during the summer. They were very low compression and didn't feel like you were hitting rocks.

Maybe I'll give those Lady iQ Plus a try.

Those of you who've tried it, is it good for a 90-mph swing? (I don't know what "slower swing speed" means exactly.) How's the performance around the greens?

I played the Laddie for a bit last year and I found them a little "clicky" for my taste. Great ball for the price though! Just not for me.

I'll be out playing until the courses don't let me play. Usually, once the sun is up and the frost has melted away, they will let us play. I'll play into the low-40's and maybe even lower if I'm allowed. (I figure if I can ski at 0*, then I can golf in the 30's.)

The 90 mph swing speed will not give it any hassle. You might even see some extra distance. The performance around the greens is better than I expected. Did it stop on a hop and spin back? Of course not, but it was better than the Laddie for me.

I played the Treosofts last year when it got cooler/cold here in the NE. Didn't overly like them but I may try the e7's now when the weather officially switches over.

I play the Srixon AD 333's or Soft Feels which is a good two piece low compression ball or sometimes the bridgestones. There are several inexpensive balls that are low compression and dont break your wallet if the leaves eat your balls.

I played the Treosofts last year when it got cooler/cold here in the NE. Didn't overly like them but I may try the e7's now when the weather officially switches over.

If you're moving from the e6+ to the e7+, don't expect it to feel softer. The e7+ is actually a higher compression core than the B330 RX.

If you're moving from the e6+ to the e7+, don't expect it to feel softer. The e7+ is actually a higher compression core than the B330 RX.

Thanks for the info Osahar!

This weekend the temps were in the 40's and low 50's. I noticed the Vapor wasn't carrying as far as normal. I switched to a Taylormade Burner that I had in the bag and it was much better. I think the Precept Ladies IQ is going to be my ball for any day the temps are in the 50's or lower. I have already begun making the switch because it has been an abnormally cold October thus far.

Back