Is Golf Exercise?

Be honest JB. Three-hour rounds are no fun for you! :clapp:

Most of the nicer courses and almost all of the private clubs around here require carts as well. It is about pace of play.

Now that is a discussion for another thread and I can tell you there will be lots of strong feelings about that statement. Just my personal experience has 4 walkers outpacing 4 cart riders in 2 carts at least half the time. Many times I have had to wait on cart riders while I was walking.

Now that is a discussion for another thread and I can tell you there will be lots of strong feelings about that statement. Just my personal experience has 4 walkers outpacing 4 cart riders in 2 carts at least half the time. Many times I have had to wait on cart riders while I was walking.

You are right about it being a thread. However your theory would NEVER happen at my course or most of the courses around here. In theory, yes 4 walkers all walking to their balls could go in some cases faster due to carts having to go to two balls. However that only works with courses where there is not a long walk to the next hole or in cases where cart players play cart golf.

You are right about it being a thread. However your theory would NEVER happen at my course or most of the courses around here. In theory, yes 4 walkers all walking to their balls could go in some cases faster due to carts having to go to two balls. However that only works with courses where there is not a long walk to the next hole or in cases where cart players play cart golf.

I have played lots of courses in lots of places and walked. Now I will tell you there are courses here that won't let you walk and courses that are designed to almost eliminate walking. If I had my way, no one would play them and the designers would have to go out of business. Golf is a walking game unless you simply cannot do it. I am not opposed to carts, just opposed to being forced into one. That is simply poor design.

Golf is a walking game unless you simply cannot do it. I am not opposed to carts, just opposed to being forced into one. That is simply poor design.

That is a contradictory statement.

That is a contradictory statement.

I didn't think it was hard. If you have an infirmity where you cannot walk, then ok, ride a cart so you can still play. If you are able bodied, it is a walking game. I don't see the contradiction in that.

So because someone can walk, they should have to? How is that any different than saying because you can drive you should have to?

You are asking for courses to go out of business for not allowing walking, yet you dont want to allow riding unless you have a disability.

If you want to walk, walk. Who cares if others want to ride? As far as golf being a walking game, that has not been the case for quite some time. Very few newer Cheeseland developments, and we have many in the last 15-20 years, were designed to be easily walked. While it is easy to say golf is a walking game, those building the golf courses would disagree.

And they have the money.

Kevin

I prefer to walk and carry for the following reasons:

It's good exercise (definitely burn off a lot more calories, which I need)
I play better
I'm cheap:loser:

There are courses where it's not possible, or highly discouraged, to walk. I do prefer courses that are walkable. But some of the very nicest courses are designed like this to maximize aesthetics or because terrain forces it and I certainly enjoy myself when I'm playing those courses riding a cart!

IMO, golf can only be considered exercise if you are walking. I could play all day long if Im riding in a cart, but Im done after about 9 holes if Im walking.

Most of the newer courses around here dont let you walk.

So because someone can walk, they should have to? How is that any different than saying because you can drive you should have to?

You are asking for courses to go out of business for not allowing walking, yet you dont want to allow riding unless you have a disability.

The reason we have these courses that don't allow walkers is because we accept it. I want you to ride a cart if you prefer, I just don't want to be forced into one because it has become acceptable to exclude walkers just to enhance the course's revenue stream. Courses will continue to be built to exclude walkers and I know I am a dying breed. It doesn't make what is happening right, just expedient and profitable.

The reason we have these courses that don't allow walkers is because we accept it. I want you to ride a cart if you prefer, I just don't want to be forced into one because it has become acceptable to exclude walkers just to enhance the course's revenue stream. Courses will continue to be built to exclude walkers and I know I am a dying breed. It doesn't make what is happening right, just expedient and profitable.

That's the market speaking. Many of the championship style courses built in the last 20 years wouldn't exist if it wasn't for cart golf. They were designed to be cart only facilities because that's what it takes to make them profitable. And the consumer is willing.

Come to Cheeseland. You can play Whistling Straits and Erin Hills. You have to walk the former, and you can walk the latter. Two of the best newer courses in the world, and both within one hour of Milwaukee. They charge a hefty fee, though. They have to because they are expensive to run and maintain. They can because there are golfers willing to pay it.

Kevin

Well as someone who has cerebral palsy and is a golfer with a disability I'll be the first to tell you that you can ride a cart and get excercise when you play 18 holes, I've been doing it for the last four years, and during the golf season I probably drop at least 20 pounds the challenge this winter will be keeping it off which I plan to do so I'm not starting from a disadvantage next year.

There were some statistics recently on how many calories are burned playing a round of golf and it is a fairly big number - but only if you walk.

Most of the newer courses around here dont let you walk.

In the past most golf courses had deals with the head pro, the green fee goes to the course and the cart fees to the pro. Otherwise they could not afford to pay them.

This really is interesting to me as I've never played with a cart and have always walked.
Also weird (where I'm from) that some courses discourage walking although with the series of explanations already in this thread I can understand why.

Walking for me is part of the charm of the game.
Nothing like having a walk and talk with mates on a nice day chasing a little white thing around.

In the past most golf courses had deals with the head pro, the green fee goes to the course and the cart fees to the pro. Otherwise they could not afford to pay them.

Really? I have worked at many a golf course and done business with hundreds of others and I have not met one head pro that got a single cart fee.

Ridiculous comment if you really believe it.

Kevin

Ridiculous to think that someone would take that seriously. :confused2:

(I have GOT to send you guys some comedy stuff for Christmas)

-JP

When I was a kid - there was a guy at the club who would play around the clubhouse every night with a cocktail and his dog. He would put his cocktail on the tee marker and the dog would take a sip. He was the only drunk I've ever seen walking on the course, but he only played 3 holes. I have seen several drunk golfers in carts though. Has anyone ever seen a drunk golfer walking?

If the idea of just burning calories constitutes some form of exercise, then sleeping, and breathing are exercise. Walking of course is great exercise. Problem is too many people don't figure this out till it's too late for their bodies. It's an after thought, usually relayed to the individual by their M.D., or D.O. You still get upper torso exercise if you ride a cart. Swinging anything 50+ times in a 4 hour period is exercise for the waist on up. I always wonder why some of these pro golfers who walk 16+ miles a week allow themselves to develop larger bellies.

Take care of your legs folks. :clapp:

Not walking drunk, but I have seen quite few walking (and riding) while smoking mother nature's herbs. I don't have problem with it. It smells better than some of those cigars some folks smoke. :clapp:
When I was a kid - there was a guy at the club who would play around the clubhouse every night with a cocktail and his dog. He would put his cocktail on the tee marker and the dog would take a sip. He was the only drunk I've ever seen walking on the course, but he only played 3 holes. I have seen several drunk golfers in carts though. Has anyone ever seen a drunk golfer walking?

Not walking drunk, but I have seen quite few walking (and riding) while smoking mother nature's herbs. I don't have problem with it. It smells better than some of those cigars some folks smoke. :clapp:

I haven't seen or smelled that on the course since I was a teenager.

That and you know they're not going to leave the butt lying on a green somewhere.

-JP

Back