Cobra AMP Cell Pro Irons

I'm still confused on to which ones I will choose. I think I've decided to hit all 3 cobra sets again. Maybe have the guy tape them up as to try and hide which one it is and try to hit them "blind to model". Not that it will work. I know I'm over thinking this. In the end I want to help my team win. That's what matters. I really shouldn't be sweating it like this, we don't even know which ones the sponsor wants us to rep. Maybe I should try to forget about it till that email...

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

New to thp. I've been following this thread for a long time. I've been playing the s3 pro irons for 2 years. I loved the short irons in the s3 pro but once you get to the 6 iron, the cavity backs just felt clunky. I always thought they should make a set where the cavity came into the set gradually. Once I saw the cell pro irons, I thought they looked like the answer. I've been waiting to hit these for months. Yesterday I went into TGW showroom in wichita and asked to hit the 4 iron. I figure if you can hit the longest club in a set, the other irons are usually a breeze. The 4 iron hit perfectly for me, so I pulled the trigger on the flow set. I went out to the course last evening and spent an hour getting the feel of the new pros. My 1st impressions were very good. Just as long as my s3 pros. The long irons are WAY easier to hit than the old s3 pro cavities. Head size looks about the same if not a little bigger at address. I hit a couple of fat shots and shanked the pw a couple of times but overall I'm impressed. These are goinf in the bag for good today. I did notice that the ball flight was a bit higher with no loss of distance. I use to have no confidence with my longer irons.now they feel really good. I'll post again after I get a few rounds under my belt.

New to thp. I've been following this thread for a long time. I've been playing the s3 pro irons for 2 years. I loved the short irons in the s3 pro but once you get to the 6 iron, the cavity backs just felt clunky. I always thought they should make a set where the cavity came into the set gradually. Once I saw the cell pro irons, I thought they looked like the answer. I've been waiting to hit these for months. Yesterday I went into TGW showroom in wichita and asked to hit the 4 iron. I figure if you can hit the longest club in a set, the other irons are usually a breeze. The 4 iron hit perfectly for me, so I pulled the trigger on the flow set. I went out to the course last evening and spent an hour getting the feel of the new pros. My 1st impressions were very good. Just as long as my s3 pros. The long irons are WAY easier to hit than the old s3 pro cavities. Head size looks about the same if not a little bigger at address. I hit a couple of fat shots and shanked the pw a couple of times but overall I'm impressed. These are goinf in the bag for good today. I did notice that the ball flight was a bit higher with no loss of distance. I use to have no confidence with my longer irons.now they feel really good. I'll post again after I get a few rounds under my belt.

Great to hear such good things!

What shaft did you get them with?

Thanks for the thoughts and feedback! I hope you love them as much the next time out!

Welcome and congrats on the new sticks mycamel.

Great to hear such good things!

What shaft did you get them with?

Stock s300 shafts. Everything stock. Played today and hit lots of practice balls. Ball flight is very good, maybe a bit higher than normal for me. 4 iron is the bomb. I would almost rather hit the 4 than the 5 on an approach because it feels so good. So far i give them a 8.5 out of 10. btw, im 50 years old. I hit my 7 irons about 140 and my driver about 240. These irons may be better suited to the young guns, but I like the feel and distance control of a better iron. Sure I could go with a cast set of irons with stonger lofts but I've been there and done that. There s just no sweeter sound and feel than a pured forged iron.

Played a quick 9 holes on a funky executive course here in Atlanta (where it was VERY windy today). Like mycamel stated, these feel great but so far, I have a different experience with the clubs being longer or as long as my previous gamers (S-56). It could be the shaft (KBS Tour Stiff in ACP vs. Nippon 950 Stiff in S-56) but I noticed that these clubs are a true club shorter for me. I normally hit my 8 iron right at 150 but on a 150 yard par 3 today (where I normally hit 8 iron), my ball fell a full to half club short. Again, to the defense of the club, it was gusting at 15-20 mph at one point but it didn't seem it was blowing THAT hard when I was on that hole. For the record, the clubs are as accurate as the indian using them. As I've said in a previous post, even topped shots still get good distance. Unless you've played the S3 irons, as mycamel used to, then there is an adjustment period that will just make me learn to be patient.

Stock s300 shafts. Everything stock. Played today and hit lots of practice balls. Ball flight is very good, maybe a bit higher than normal for me. 4 iron is the bomb. I would almost rather hit the 4 than the 5 on an approach because it feels so good. So far i give them a 8.5 out of 10. btw, im 50 years old. I hit my 7 irons about 140 and my driver about 240. These irons may be better suited to the young guns, but I like the feel and distance control of a better iron. Sure I could go with a cast set of irons with stonger lofts but I've been there and done that. There s just no sweeter sound and feel than a pured forged iron.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to that 4 iron, I love hitting a 4 iron. One of my favorite clubs in my current set.

I have a set with S300's and a set with KBS Tour, and I think the latter suits me better, I get a smoother swing / impact and the trajectory is a bit higher, which I do like.

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to that 4 iron, I love hitting a 4 iron. One of my favorite clubs in my current set.

I have a set with S300's and a set with KBS Tour, and I think the latter suits me better, I get a smoother swing / impact and the trajectory is a bit higher, which I do like.

And we all know it is all about the traj hahaha

despite very cold temperatures and lots of wind, the Cobra demo day went very, very well for me.

i was able to hit the Pro 4, 6, 8, and PW.

the guy handed me the 8 to warm up with (which was a bad idea) the guy probably thought i was in way over my head, as he said..."well we have the AMP Forged too"... lol
but after that, i moved onto hybrids, and then back to the Pros, striking the ball much, much better.

the 6 iron is luscious. absolute sweet wholesome buttery goodness....
the PW is easy to hit, took maybe 2 or 3 cuts with it and said, "yep...that's all i needed to know" - i did notice that it got the ball UP in a hurry tho...
the 8 iron was equally as nice, normal shots with this.

and now the 4 iron...it has now jumped into the running and is looking like a good possibility. i hit a handful of balls with it, and i hit them all very well, with a super nice piercing trajectory. and it's not like i hit it farther than normal or anything, but i hit it well and i miss it being in my bag.
i want a 4 iron back for:
1. long par 3's
2. layups where a hybrid is just too much
3. workability
4. punch outs, escaping jail, fancy shots, and gopher beater

for anyone on the fence about the 4 iron, put it in your bag. hit it first, but then put it in your bag.

despite very cold temperatures and lots of wind, the Cobra demo day went very, very well for me.

i was able to hit the Pro 4, 6, 8, and PW.

the guy handed me the 8 to warm up with (which was a bad idea) the guy probably thought i was in way over my head, as he said..."well we have the AMP Forged too"... lol
but after that, i moved onto hybrids, and then back to the Pros, striking the ball much, much better.

the 6 iron is luscious. absolute sweet wholesome buttery goodness....
the PW is easy to hit, took maybe 2 or 3 cuts with it and said, "yep...that's all i needed to know" - i did notice that it got the ball UP in a hurry tho...
the 8 iron was equally as nice, normal shots with this.

and now the 4 iron...it has now jumped into the running and is looking like a good possibility. i hit a handful of balls with it, and i hit them all very well, with a super nice piercing trajectory. and it's not like i hit it farther than normal or anything, but i hit it well and i miss it being in my bag.
i want a 4 iron back for:
1. long par 3's
2. layups where a hybrid is just too much
3. workability
4. punch outs, escaping jail, fancy shots, and gopher beater

for anyone on the fence about the 4 iron, put it in your bag. hit it first, but then put it in your bag.

I like to hear that Tyno! I won't be gaming a 4 iron. Still pondering these. But only time will tell.

I'm sure you fellas are sick of the new guy and his updates but I thought I'd give you one more...played another 9 holes today on another executive course (doing this on purpose because the par 3s and little par 4s cause for nothing but irons and wedges). This time I decided to play a sleeve of the ball I've decided to game for any competitions/tournaments this year, the 2013 20Xi-x. I picked up a trial sleeve back when they first came out and was thoroughly impressed but had not really pulled any out to play since my trial because (a) I haven't played any tourneys yet, and (b) I haven't practiced as much as I'd like (well before I got the ACPs).

Okay, different day, same amount of wind we've been having, VERY different results. For the record, I played an e5 yesterday and whatever I could find in my bag when I played 12 holes last week (NXT Tours, e6, and a 2012 20Xi-s I found). I will take into account I have been regularly visiting the range since acquiring these sticks but today I felt much better about the distance I was getting with these. Of course, the feel is still hot buttery but the distance felt more comparable to the S-56 irons I gamed. I nutted a couple of 4 irons into the wind about 210 (I usually hit my 4 iron right at 210 with no wind). I've also gotten used to controlling the flight of these sticks. I hit a knock down PW from 110 to about 2 feet and then hit a full PW from 128 (I usually hit it 125) to 5 feet. I hit a high 6 iron around a bend 160 yards and then hit another more piercing 6 iron 175 yards.

My final $.02, these are real gamer clubs. I'm not a low handicapper in the least bit but I have worked hard to become a good ball striker with my irons (my short game and tee game can never seem to get on the same page). I think a couple more practice rounds for me with these and I'll be dialed in. For those like mycamel that already played the S3, go for these. For those that are used to the feel and flight of the KBS Tours, go for it. For those, like me, that aren't used to a setup like this, don't hit them one time and say "never mind" because I can tell you from experience that these clubs are worth the wait.

I'm sure you fellas are sick of the new guy and his updates but I thought I'd give you one more...played another 9 holes today on another executive course (doing this on purpose because the par 3s and little par 4s cause for nothing but irons and wedges). This time I decided to play a sleeve of the ball I've decided to game for any competitions/tournaments this year, the 2013 20Xi-x. I picked up a trial sleeve back when they first came out and was thoroughly impressed but had not really pulled any out to play since my trial because (a) I haven't played any tourneys yet, and (b) I haven't practiced as much as I'd like (well before I got the ACPs).

Okay, different day, same amount of wind we've been having, VERY different results. For the record, I played an e5 yesterday and whatever I could find in my bag when I played 12 holes last week (NXT Tours, e6, and a 2012 20Xi-s I found). I will take into account I have been regularly visiting the range since acquiring these sticks but today I felt much better about the distance I was getting with these. Of course, the feel is still hot buttery but the distance felt more comparable to the S-56 irons I gamed. I nutted a couple of 4 irons into the wind about 210 (I usually hit my 4 iron right at 210 with no wind). I've also gotten used to controlling the flight of these sticks. I hit a knock down PW from 110 to about 2 feet and then hit a full PW from 128 (I usually hit it 125) to 5 feet. I hit a high 6 iron around a bend 160 yards and then hit another more piercing 6 iron 175 yards.

My final $.02, these are real gamer clubs. I'm not a low handicapper in the least bit but I have worked hard to become a good ball striker with my irons (my short game and tee game can never seem to get on the same page). I think a couple more practice rounds for me with these and I'll be dialed in. For those like mycamel that already played the S3, go for these. For those that are used to the feel and flight of the KBS Tours, go for it. For those, like me, that aren't used to a setup like this, don't hit them one time and say "never mind" because I can tell you from experience that these clubs are worth the wait.

Never get tired of great updates like this. Keep us updated on your progress.

Yes...keep the info coming! Love to read stuff about these beauties!

See updates like this makes me want to say yes to pro... I'm going to hit them again. I have to!

Awesome thoughts dude. So so excited to read this.

Yes do it you must.

I will hit them again first. But man they sesssy. With right shaft I think I'm ok.

I will hit them again first. But man they sesssy. With right shaft I think I'm ok.

Bullfrog, I'd say to you that you should date these irons before committing to a long term relationship. Definitely give them a chance though. Take these chicks to a few movies, maybe a club, get a few drinks, and THEN make your decision. LOL!

That TBD in your sig will soon change!!!

I hit all 3 lines outside over the weekend. My thoughts have been confirmed, these are just not for me. I can't wait for tyno to get them though because I will hit them at media day and show off how good I am. I'd say that I would try WCBM's irons that day but these with telephone pole would be a good set up for me.

I hit all 3 lines outside over the weekend. My thoughts have been confirmed, these are just not for me. I can't wait for tyno to get them though because I will hit them at media day and show off how good I am. I'd say that I would try WCBM's irons that day but these with telephone pole would be a good set up for me.

Hahaha - poles they will be. From the heels FTW!

For me it's also depends on how much alone time I can get with them pre MC. If we get plenty enough time I will take the chance. I'm thinking anyways... :banghead:

For me it's also depends on how much alone time I can get with them pre MC. If we get plenty enough time I will take the chance. I'm thinking anyways... :banghead:

It's not a bad way of looking at it. I don't anticipate the same amount of practice time for me this year because of certain things. I will say that during a stretch where my game was last year I think I could have gamed these without a problem. I'm just not back at that level and I don't know if I'll get there any time soon.

i've seen you hit other people's irons. they look good on you...

Back