The Grammar & Usage Thread

All grammar and usage mavens should be in mourning at William Safire's passing. He kept us on our toes, and it was even more fun finding his occasional mistake.:sad:

Is that Safir or Safire?

I could not help it. I read some place where Mr. Safire changed the original spelling of his name many years ago. I don't know if it's true, but they said it was for grammatical reasons, which cracked me up.

I could not help it. I read some place where Mr. Safire changed the original spelling of his name many years ago. I don't know if it's true, but they said it was for grammatical reasons, which cracked me up.

Missed that. Safir sounds Middle Eastern, and maybe he didn't want people to think that was his heritage?

Heck, unless your family has been in this country more than 300 years or less than 50, your last name probably got mangled along the way anyway.

LOL, I don't really want to know where "Lynch" came from. However, I'm always interested in the view point's of a Safire fan. Like him or not, he always had something to say.

All grammar and usage mavens should be in mourning at William Safire's passing. He kept us on our toes, and it was even more fun finding his occasional mistake.:sad:

Mr. Safire will be missed. :sad:

Am I the only one who finds it funny when the stupid Mayor of LA spells words wrong on his twitter.

villaraigosa Follow Friday tranportation ed!

Am I the only one who finds it funny when the stupid Mayor of LA spells words wrong on his twitter.

Just looked at his page...he also apparently has the most boring Tweets in Twitter history.

How did the human race ever come to this? Birds tweet and a twitter sounds like something you really shouldn't parade out in public... :D

More quality "blog" posting from golfdigest.com:
"No rhyme or reason.": Local Knowledge: Golf Digest Magazine

"No rhyme or reason."

10.09.09 | 9:27 PM

SAN FRANCISCO -- That was Fred Couples when explaining his decision to sit down Anthony Kim and Lucas Glover in Saturday's foursomes.

Gee, might the reason be both guys aren't playing well?

As for Greg Norman's decision to sit Geoff Ogilvy and Lucas Glover, the International captain said the hard work was done for him: the Ogilvy decision was made after consulting with the player, while Cabrera had actually asked for the morning off in hopes of being fresh for Sunday.

That would be the quite the feat for Greg Norman (Int'l team) to make Lucas Glover (U.S. Team) sit.

Harry - Should we expect an announcement that you've either decided to start your own religion or plan to move to a monastery? I'd believe the former before the latter though.

Who said anything about a ladder? hehe

Harry - Should we expect an announcement that you've either decided to start your own religion or plan to move to a monastery? I'd believe the former before the latter though.

Secular humanism isn't already a religion?

Well, I haven't been haven't been touched by His Noodly Appendage yet. But I hope to some day.

Thats Meatsophis, the Italian god of spaghetti and meatballs.

Well, I haven't been haven't been touched by His Noodly Appendage yet. But I hope to some day.

:confused2: Is this some pop culture thing? You know I'm hopeless.

Spoiler
And how this ties into some Texas lawyer's blog is beyond me.

I thought that thing was Cthulhu.

Kevin

Back