Cypress Run golf and country club

MWard

I do not play well with others
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I had the privilege to play Cypress Run Golf and Country Club, a private course located about 30 minutes from Tampa International Airport. Called "The pride of Pinellas", this course has hosted numerous USGA events. Upon arrival, you're greeted with a clubhouse that honestly does nothing to impress. There's unfortunately nothing fancy about its members locker room (3 showers, a shoe shine service, and moderate locker room) or clubhouse layout (screams of something built in the late 70's or early 80's) that just doesn't give its guest or member a warm or welcoming feeling.

img0838rf.jpg

Its driving range consists of multiple targets though and offers the opportunity to hit from artificial grass or real turf, depending on turf conditions and the decision of the clubhouse. It's a fairly good size range, but I felt like it would have difficulty holding more than 30 people at a time. The turf is very typical for Florida, with a very heavy sand base. If you're someone who isn't used to seeing a bit of sand blasting to the bottom of ones clubs after a warmup or range session, I suggest you look further before you play this club.

img0839rx.jpg

The course does though offer a tricky layout, especially with the wind blowing. The placing of your tee shot is key in both approach angle, as well as to avoid overhanging tree limbs in some very intimidating tee shots. The approach shots aren't so bad as the design makes you think there's not much room on either side, but only after you've hit the shot and you turn around back towards the tee do you realize you had a little more room than imagined. It's similar to a Pete Dye layout if one has had the chance to play a Pete Dye course. That being said, it also reminds me of a Pete Dye layout in that not every hole is memorable. Many holes after a while blend in and feel the same, and also feel mentally taxing after having to factor in both wind, fairway slope, and hole layout.

img0844xr.jpg

img0843du.jpg

img0842rq.jpg

img0840sb.jpg

img0841fc.jpg

img0846bf.jpg

The greens have some undulation that isn't so bad when the green speeds are moderate, around 9 on the stimpmeter, but can be incredibly challenging when they approach the 11-12 on the stimpmeter speeds. Having now played with both moderate and very fast green speeds, it's amazing the difference in score when one isn't having to be timid due to green speed and undulation. I felt I could be significantly more aggressive on the slower greens when I wasn't having to play almost 7 feet of break on some putts due to speed. Overall, it's a course I would play again but likely would not be the first choice for the price. As one can see, there really aren't very many pictures included in this review. That's because the course really just felt the same hole after hole and when looking back in the photos I did take, the only one that stands out is the last one on the tee shot on 18, mostly because I was glad it was over and it was the last time I had to really focus on "threading the needle" on a tee shot.

Never have had the chance to play there in all my trips down there since 1988. (Dad lives in New Port Richey) One of the few "private" courses in the area that hasn't allowed outside play due to the economy lately. Wentworth and Crescent Oaks have gone that route. It always LOOKS good driving by as I'm on my way to Lansbrook to play, though. thanks for the peek from the inside.

Looks awesome Mikey! Have always wanted to play there.

Course looks tight!

I played there a couple years ago. I thought it was a fun course, but nothing really stood out about it. The main thing I remember is that when we made the turn, they had an ice chest full of cold towels that were scented. They were amazing in the middle of July.

Trees! Well trees that ain't palm trees to be exact. I miss that. Good work dude!

Nothing wrong with fast greens, tight fairways and a mature course. Nice job Mikey!

Nothing wrong with fast greens, tight fairways and a mature course. Nice job Mikey!

Except that he said it was boring and lackluster for the money, and was glad the round was near over after his teeshot on 18. Skim?

Except that he said it was boring and lackluster for the money, and was glad the round was near over after his teeshot on 18. Skim?

No not a skim and is there a reason your starting this again. I commented on the photos.

Back