Anyone have any secrets for staying hydrated? I played a 1 man scramble today and drank water the entire round but still struggled the last few holes with dehydration. It was approx 98 degrees but humidity was really high. I always try to bring a banana or some other light snack and drink water constantly but lately I've still gotten weak, shakes, and light headed during last few holes. Just wanting to know how others handle the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you tried anything for electrolyte replenishment? I am a big fan of the Nuun tablets and the Fizz tablets (by Hammer). Both work to keep you hydrated rather quickly, and are quite popular among runners and cyclists as they work quickly to keep you hydrated as well as prevent cramping. I use them both, and always keep some of each in my golf bag. They arent meant to be the tastiest thing you have ever had to drink, but they do work.

THP did a forum testing on the Nuun tablets, can check the thoughts of the THPers out here; http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?29906-Nuun-Drink-Tablets-Forum-Review

you might look into the NUUN tablets...there was a testing on them a few months back you can read more about them here

NUUN Tablets

They are supposed to replace your electrolytes, alot of guys really liked them. Me, I do better alternating between Gatoraide or Poweraide and Water...I start by having several glasses of water before I go out...then at the first tee I start with a Poweraide...then as it empties I fill the bottle with water, then another poweraide on the 10th tee and repeat the process.

EDIT: several us posted about the NUUN tablets all at once...LOL

Water... Every day all day. What is the one thing in this world you can have AS MUCH AS YOU WANT OF!?!? Water, the 64oz a day is a recommendation for those that eat a 2000 calorie diet and sit at a work desk all day. For younger active people who workout, golf, run, spend a lot of time out doors in the heat, make it 128oz. Also make sure you don't consume alcohol the night before or the day of at any point as beer might be refreshing but it will ring you out like a wet kitchen towel. Same for Sodas, Gatorades, or any sugary drink. Water, water, water, water, more water, and maybe a power bar.

Will check into those tablets. The heat didn't use to bother me as much as I was in pretty good shape but now that I am a few pounds heavier it seems to have a pretty large effect on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merged with a pretty big thread on hydration.

As you'll see in this thread, a lot can play into dehydration. It could have been any number of things, alcohol consumption the night before, not being well-rested, what you ate, etc. Sometimes, you just can't do enough to stay hydrated.

I've just always been a big proponent of water. I usually take a swig after every shot as a habit. If you aren't peeing, you aren't drinking enough is always something I live by. And there are days, where no matter how much I drink, it's still not enough. It's a constant struggle to stay hydrated.

I've read differing results in opinions on dehydration and performance, it's kind of a mystery. Most lean towards it hurting performance, but one article (and of course I can't find it now), said a little dehydration wouldn't hurt.

It's always been something that has scared me since my diving days as dehydration could play into how diving physiology affected your body, sometimes with deadly consequences.

I haven't tried them yet, but the glowing recommendations of these Nuun Tablets and reading through that thread some, have me wanting to purchase some to try for myself. Thanks again for the redirect and heads up on them.

i only drink water when i play. usually i drink very little on the course and sometimes not at all. its not hot (or even warm right now) where i live so i dont sweat much.

So the MIO is good Danilo? Been tempted to grab some but no one I know has tried it.

I agree with good ole water, 'tis best for you!

I absolutely tear through MIO. Orange/Tangerine is my favorite, with a couple others close behind. The Mio Energy "Black Cherry" is pretty good, too.

I have an Under Armor "thermos" style water bottle with a locking spring loaded lid. that bottle can keep ice inside for 12 hours. No kidding. Sure, for 'just' a water bottle it's a little pricey at $25 - but it is one awesome bottle. So I fill it with ice before I head out and just keep topping off with water through the day.

A bottle of MIO is tiny and can stash anywhere.

At our course they have water containers on all par 3s, I try and fill up all my water bottles and drink at least one full glass while I'm on the tee. It usually seems to keep my hydrated enough through the whole round.

the hammer nutrition endurolytes are a better solution than the NUUN in my experience

the taste is less mediciney, and they're a little cheaper
http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-HEF13.html

I generally just use water when on course, but if it's going to be really hot... these are better than NUUN

Cold water as often as possible. Try to drink at least a liter and hour in hot weather.

Another vote for just cold water being the best. I normally mix in a little Gatorade but that is just because I love the taste when the sweat is rolling.

I'll add my support for Nuun. Since THP testing, I have drank and purchased nothing other than Nuun, simply put, because it works and I don't get the sugary crash that I got from other sports drinks. I start drinking water (or Nuun) the night before my round, if I know it's going to be hot. I try to drink 2 to 3 - 19 oz bottles before I even get to the first tee box and usually mix up a Nuun before I start the round. By hole number 8, I am usually ready for another. In a typical round, on a day with temps above 100+ degrees, I have found that I am drinking 5 to 6 - 19oz bottles of Nuun or water and as I said, I am not hitting the 14th hole wall that I hit, when I was drinking Gatorade or sugary sports drinks. I have also found that eating the right things on the course, in addition to hydration, plays just as vital of a role as the water does. I have switched from the candy bars and hotdogs, to Clif Bars, trail mix and fresh fruit. I add cranberries, blueberries, and dried bananas to my trail mix and this year has been probably the best year for me, in regards to feeling fresh on the course, and it's been one of the hottest years I have ever played golf in.

Runners Warehouse and Lucky Vitamin have create your own mixtures of Nuun, if you want to try a flavor, without committing to four tubes of it, as you would at the Nuun website. Or, if you want to try only one tube, before committing to the product. I just ordered from Lucky Vitamin and I usually order 4 to 5 tubes a pop. I think through there, they were about $4 a tube, with 12 tabs per tube. Do the math. You are getting 12 - 19oz drinks, for $4. You can't buy 3 Gatorades for that price.

Flavor recommendations for the Nuun

Fruit Punch (The Best, IMO)
Grape
Tri-Berry
Citrus Fruit
Tropical
Banana

Heat exhaustion

Heat exhaustion

With hot weather around the corner (it's hot here already in Vegas), I thought it might be a good idea to give everyone a heads up about this topic.

I believe I had a slight case of this last Saturday. It was a hot sunny day with temps in the 90s. I usually don't play on weekends but I decided to spend about 2.5 hours on the range. Unfortunately, I got so caught up with improving my swing that I forgot to hydrate early and properly. I only had about 2 bottles of water during that time and I think I didn't drink for the first hour. Towards the last part of my range time, I started to get a headache so I decided to quit. By the time I got home, I started feeling a little nauseated and that's when it hit me that I might have a slight heat exhaustion. So, I drank two glasses of cold water, had a pinch of salt, and just sat in the tub and took a cold shower. After a while, I started feeling better and felt really stupid.

So, just a heads up guys. When playing in hot weather, hydrate early and properly and have proper shading (cart, umbrella, trees, etc.). Know the warning signs: headache, dizziness, cramps, fatigue, nausea, confusion, rapid heartbeat. And if you do experience any signs/symptoms, make sure to hydrate and try to cool your body temperature.

P.S. Also, don't forget the importance of using sunscreen.

Thanks for the heads up! I posted a review this morning about Swing Juice which ties right in with what you are talking about. I definitely don't drink enough while playing, but hope to change that this year.

stupid me didnt take water to drink when I played 18 today in 85 degree weather.

Lined up a putt on 16 and nearly tipped over, felt like crap for another 2 hours after that...WONT let that happen again

Pro Tip: I used to race motorcycles in Southern heat...and I'm an old fat ass...I sweat a lot :). I would regularly race in 95f+ high humidity, in a one piece thick leather suit...say, in Atlanta in August. Once I learned to hydrate properly it didn't phase me. In the evening before you play golf, drink water until you are peeing clear. When you wake up, grab a bottle of water and drink it on the way to the course, then obv drink while you play. The real key is the night before. Do this and I promise you you'll feel better in the heat than you ever have before.

Last edited:
I'm a water guy as well and have never had trouble with dehydration in my 35 years of playing. I've never paid much attention on how much I drink during a round, but I do know I need 20-25 ounces per hour when cycling to not lose water weight. Biking is much more strenuous than golf, so I would say 10 ounces per hour would be a good starting point.

Like most people here...water, water, water. I usually have 6-8 pt. bottles of water in a small cooler when I play. I take advantage of the water coolers on the course to refill when available.

I drink quite a bit of water on the course, especially in the heat (3+ 20oz bottles of h2O per 9). I also drop a NUUN tab (thanks for the intro DDEC) in once per 9 and feel like a $1,000,000

I always drink plenty of water and will mix in a bottle of sports drink or a NUUN tablet for about every third bottle....I will average 3 full bottles per 9 holes during the summer..and it's plenty hot and humid in Houston during this time of year.

That's 40 ounces down.

That's 60. On the way to 100.

I'll be stopping at the Johnny On The Spot on the fourth hole.

I made the mistake of not drinking any water one morning at work (busy with meetings), rushing out of the office on a hot day to catch early tee time. Walking the course, I started feeling funny about the 4 or 5th hole and had to call it quits at the turn. Have never made that mistake again as it was scary. Before every round on warm days I try to drink as much water before hand and then continue to drink water during the round. I find it to be best way for myself personally.

However I know that for others I have seen them rely on Gatorade/Powerade and that works.

The main thing is to hydrate before the round and then continue to hydrate during the round.

I try to knock down a liter over the hour before I tee off, just slowly drinking, not guzzling, then at least another liter of fluid per nine holes, a little less if I'm riding, and a little more if I'm walking. Bear in mind, I live in Arizona at 5K feet ASL, so lots of sweating. But if I get dehydrated enough to get some shakes in my hands, my putting is done.

I usually bring MIO or some Gatorade powder with me to throw in what I drink on the course.

I'll add my support for Nuun. Since THP testing, I have drank and purchased nothing other than Nuun, simply put, because it works and I don't get the sugary crash that I got from other sports drinks. I start drinking water (or Nuun) the night before my round, if I know it's going to be hot. I try to drink 2 to 3 - 19 oz bottles before I even get to the first tee box and usually mix up a Nuun before I start the round. By hole number 8, I am usually ready for another. In a typical round, on a day with temps above 100+ degrees, I have found that I am drinking 5 to 6 - 19oz bottles of Nuun or water and as I said, I am not hitting the 14th hole wall that I hit, when I was drinking Gatorade or sugary sports drinks. I have also found that eating the right things on the course, in addition to hydration, plays just as vital of a role as the water does. I have switched from the candy bars and hotdogs, to Clif Bars, trail mix and fresh fruit. I add cranberries, blueberries, and dried bananas to my trail mix and this year has been probably the best year for me, in regards to feeling fresh on the course, and it's been one of the hottest years I have ever played golf in.

Runners Warehouse and Lucky Vitamin have create your own mixtures of Nuun, if you want to try a flavor, without committing to four tubes of it, as you would at the Nuun website. Or, if you want to try only one tube, before committing to the product. I just ordered from Lucky Vitamin and I usually order 4 to 5 tubes a pop. I think through there, they were about $4 a tube, with 12 tabs per tube. Do the math. You are getting 12 - 19oz drinks, for $4. You can't buy 3 Gatorades for that price.

Flavor recommendations for the Nuun

Fruit Punch (The Best, IMO)
Grape
Tri-Berry
Citrus Fruit
Tropical
Banana

I've never heard of Nuun. Just checked out their website, good cost/value for their product. Might have to give them a shot. Do you still like the flavors you mentioned above, or have you started to lean towards one more than the other?

I've always been a Gatorade/Poweraide guy myself, but I honestly don't like the extra calories that come with them, even IF I knew I was going to work/sweet them out in a round.

Water is always the best way to go, no doubt, but if you just don't enjoy plain cold water you need something! I remember playing in Branson the last time I was there, at Ledgestone and it was HOT and humid. I bet I had easily 4 to 6 Gatorades in the 18 holes we played and didn't pee once until probably an hour or two after the round was over!

Have to keep on top of that or you could get yourself in a bad situation.

Back