Trying to Break 80 Club

I'm hoping to break 80 a couple times this year. Broke it once last year (77) for the first time in my life and haven't done it since. I would like to do it multiple times this season including once away from my home course. I think if I can break 80 away from my home course I'll know my game has really come a long way.

I'm hoping to break 80 a couple times this year. Broke it once last year (77) for the first time in my life and haven't done it since. I would like to do it multiple times this season including once away from my home course. I think if I can break 80 away from my home course I'll know my game has really come a long way.
Once I shot 79 in July, the closest I got the rest of the year was 84. I don't think it helped that I took a month off after the Morgan Cup to rest my injured elbow. It got the elbow feeling better, but I never got the groove back.

Once I shot 79 in July, the closest I got the rest of the year was 84. I don't think it helped that I took a month off after the Morgan Cup to rest my injured elbow. It got the elbow feeling better, but I never got the groove back.

Maybe this year will be a multiple sub 80 rounds! I'm hoping to get my first still. I think this may be the year. I finally have myself on plane.

I hit my third round at my local club in the 70's, and it was also my PB which was a 75. Now just have to be consistently in the 70's to get to my single fiqure handicap. I would upload a picture of my card but I don't know how.

I hit my third round at my local club in the 70's, and it was also my PB which was a 75. Now just have to be consistently in the 70's to get to my single fiqure handicap. I would upload a picture of my card but I don't know how.
Great job, congratulations!

I think what's most aggravating is to shoot 77 or 78 to 82 on a consistent basis and then tournament time shoot 5 strokes more than you should have. I don't think shooting say 78 to 79 is very hard as long as you avoid the doubles and above and consistently give yourself a chance. But shooting in the 70's during a tournament with the pressure is what is hard for me. More than likely it's the expectation knowing I am capable of doing this and not achieving it. 78 last Sunday and mid 80's last tournament. It's between the ears.

I think what's most aggravating is to shoot 77 or 78 to 82 on a consistent basis and then tournament time shoot 5 strokes more than you should have. I don't think shooting say 78 to 79 is very hard as long as you avoid the doubles and above and consistently give yourself a chance. But shooting in the 70's during a tournament with the pressure is what is hard for me. More than likely it's the expectation knowing I am capable of doing this and not achieving it. 78 last Sunday and mid 80's last tournament. It's between the ears.
Speak for yourself! :eyepoke:

I'm with you Stan, I've broken 80 once and it was a 78. This year so far has been all about knocking on the doorstep. I've shot 81 my last three rounds and they have all been on different courses. I know my game is close to making it a regular occurrence, just gotta refine a few things (i.e. stop having crap front nines).

I have consistently been in the low to mid 80's. I really try not to think about it on the course.

Yesterday was my best chance when I shot 83 with a triple and 38 putts!!!! :banghead:

I haven't really threatened to break 80 either since shooting 77. Like you, I think my best was around 84 (can't remember exactly). My problem was I did it in late August, 2 weeks before school started. After I shot 77 I had mandatory teacher stuff that I had to go to and before I knew it the school year started, the weather got colder and haven't come close since.

Getting out to a course I've never played before on Thursday. I'll try to make the 9-Hole "Trying to break 40" on it. It's pretty short, but really tight. If I'm accurate it could be in the 30's.

Shot 80 yesterday, #18 was a par 5 I was on front fringe in 3, middle of green pin placement, 3 stupid shots from there for the 80...grrrrr

Shot 80 yesterday, #18 was a par 5 I was on front fringe in 3, middle of green pin placement, 3 stupid shots from there for the 80...grrrrr

Prob thought bingo bango bongo was in play.

After not breaking 90 since the first of March, I go out today and shoot 81, with 2 balls ob. I didn't know where I stood score wise toward the end, was thinking I was already on track to be low 80s but put my drive in the drink on 18 in rout to a triple. Nice. Bogey would have gotten me first 70s score of the year.
Disclaimer 1: my home course, which I played today is a short (6,000 yd) par 70. Last 6 rounds that were in the 90s were on 6500+ yd courses that I was playing for the first time. Trying to venture out and play new courses this year.
Disclaimer 2: it rained really hard this morning, and course was really wet, so I cleaned the mud off my ball several times in the fairway and moved it out of standing casual water a few times too.

I shot a 77 today. It was on a course that I don't usually play and it was from the white tees. But I hit the ball really good, and I missed on 3 four ft. putts. I have not broken 80 in many years, so this was very cool for me. My league starts tomorrow, so hopefully I can keep it going.

Great job, Hacker! Congratulations!

I shot a 77 today. It was on a course that I don't usually play and it was from the white tees. But I hit the ball really good, and I missed on 3 four ft. putts. I have not broken 80 in many years, so this was very cool for me. My league starts tomorrow, so hopefully I can keep it going.

Awesome to hear. I bet you keep it up and break 80 more often.

Great job Hacker!!!

Nice round Hacker! Congrats!

Two close calls this year so far. An 81 and an 82 that could have been a 78 if it weren't for a couple fluke bounces. Maybe once this year ill get into the 70s

Tapa Slice

Back