How much do you spend on equipment?

You know what's funny is I will not spend hardly any money on clothes, balls, rangefinders, shoes, or any other golf accessories, but one bad round with the clubs and they will get benched immediately and replaced with something else pronto. I guess I'm cheap when it comes to the accessories but not clubs. weird

Well, last year I bought new clubs - full set except for the putter, and a new bag. Prior to that I hadn't purchased clubs, other than a driver, in over 10+ years so I'm thinking I don't actually spend much on equipment. This doesn't count the putter collection though...

Last year I really got bit hard by the bug, so I pretty much replaced everything, bag included. I shopped pretty wisely, didn't replace wedges and only spent about $700 on clubs (driver, 3-wood, 3 hybrids, 5-PW). I've had the same putter for at least 15 years and am not in a big hurry to replace it, but the Scottsdale TR line has me thinking. This year I got fitted for a driver and got 52 and 56 degree wedges, so I'm up to about $600 in clubs this year already. I'm pretty happy with my bag and am really only pondering 1 change. Either replace my 60 with an RTX or possibly scrap the 60 and add a 5-wood. The thing is, I don't really have big gaps on my long clubs, so it's more a desire to tinker than anything else. I like buying and trying different golf balls, although I always go back to the Q-Star. Not foreseeing any big ticket items in the near future, I probably spend about $20-30 a month on balls and a glove every other month. Attending a recent demo day really has me thinking I'd like X-Hot Pro or G25 irons, but my RBZ's are still working fine.

This year, RBZ tour driver to R1 TP. RBZ tour 3w to RBZ S2 tour 3w. Burner 2.0 irons to RBladez tour irons. TM Catalina to R1 stand bag. Of the lot, the irons will probably live the longest, but who's to say?
R1 and RBladez were purchased untested. I didn't want to wait, for demos to become available, before deciding. I had a chance to have the R1 a few weeks before release date, so that was a no brainer. RBladez tour irons ordered as soon as it was available. I am pretty lucky that both are amazeBallz. RBZ S2 tour was a prize from a TM Facebook comp. TMAG and I have a love-love relationship.

as little as possible, as much as needed

I spend a ton of money on balls! I play a lot and typically lose 2-3 balls per round. Throw in a few rounds during the week and I lose 2 boxes a week easy.

I spend far too much...I think 2013 alone, I'm over 1,600 not including greens fees.

Dan

I use to spend money constantly until I found my Driver and Irons that actually fit me. This does not include my rounds as this would probably be around 700.00 so far.

I have a fun budget of $150 a month that covers all golf purchases as well as anything else thats not food, gas. etc...

I don't have a specific number and kind of like it that way because I don't want to know haha. Last year I updated all 14 clubs so that is a rare year. Typically, I'm looking to update 1 part of my bag (woods, irons/hybrids, wedges, putter), add some new things to the closet, get a couple dozen balls, and some accessories (gloves, tees, etc.).

Last year? I bought 60 bucks worth of balls, and I still have at least a dozen left over (I think it was 5 dozen used Pro-V).

Once I get a putter, wedges, irons, and fwys/hybrids that I love I'll keep them for 3 seasons or so. I will probably end up buying a new driver every year, or at the very least a new shaft every year just for S and G.

I buy 3-4 dozen balls per season, and my clubs don't change much, once every 2-3 years I might upgrade a piece here or there.

I'll never tell......

After reading everyones comments about holding onto clubs for years, I believe I might have a consumption problem! I have bought and sold 5 iron sets this year alone!

You and me both, that's why I'm guessing 5k or more a year. I don't really want to know. In the last twelve months I've bought Callaway X22's, Burner 2.0's, Adams CB2's, Nike VR Pro Cavity's, Titleist AP1 712's, and now playing X hot's. I guess I just wanted to play the field before deciding but my GIR is through the roof (for me) with the X Hot's so they will be in the bag for at least a full year.

Drivers, been through 6, 3wd's, 5, hybrids, 7, putters, don't even ask, I have a Scotty and NC fetish. I bet I've bought a dozen putters in the last year but I only roll 2. The Scotty when I'm putting well and a NC belly when I get a case of the yips which happens randomly and lasts for a month or two.

I don't stress it though, I live like I work as a fry cook, made a 40% ish down payment on my house and my only other bill is my truck and club dues. Between the three I could pay all my bills as a fry cook and I keep it that way on purpose because the economy is so unstable. I have a fantastic job right now and have for 4 years but that can always change as I found out the hard way 5 years ago and spent a year earning poverty level wages lol.

I've gone through a few sets over the past 2 years & subsequently traded/sold them so I'll just post what I paid for my current set

driver - $189 (brand new) + $6 grip + $40 headcover (custom) = $235
3 wood - $169 (brand new) + $6 grip + $40 headcover (custom) = $215
3 hybrid - $50 (brand new, headcover included) + $6 grip = $56
4 hybrid-GW - $275 (used, 9/10 condition, headcovers & grips included)
SW & LW - $60 (used, 9/10 condition) + 2 $6 grips = $72
putter - $70 (used, 9.5/10 condition, headcover included)
rangefinder - $100
---------------------------------------------------------------------
total for clubs, grips, headcovers, & rangefinder - $1,023

as far as balls & tees go... I get a set of 50 mint condition balls every couple of months on eBay for anywhere between $25-$35 (depending on the brand) & I buy a 200 pack of tees every couple of months for about $7. 9/10 times my girlfriend's dad buys my round of golf as a way of thanking me for playing with him (like I wouldn't play anyways!) lol

I see myself getting probably 2-3 dozen golf balls this year, new irons, and either a new putter, or a 4-hybrid. All-in-all, about $800. The only thing I get every month is a new glove.

I have probably spent more this year on golf equipment then all the rest of my golfing career (37 years) combined (not counting 37 years worth of golf balls). Bought: 3W, 3H, Putter, Irons. Still need a new SW. :)

Until this year I'd bought 1 set of irons (my original set were ones my dad won in a tournament), a few drivers and a couple FW, putters, a hybrid and wedge.

I probably spend around $250/month right now.. That's counting green fees at courses i'm not a member, cart cost, balls, gloves, tees, skins, gas, range.. etc.. I have been trying to play as many new courses as possible so far this year.
However, most months aren't this high.. it's probably more in the neighborhood of $150.

I've bought 3 bags, 3 sets of irons, 6 drivers, 3 putters, 3 wedges, 1 hybrid and 4 woods since March this year. Probably in the $2500 range about now.

I don't put a number next to it. I kind of don't want to know when all is said and done haha!

I'm with you man, can get scary and got shoved in my face during tax time. But...it worked out and since I was just getting started seriously last year it won't be a yearly number like that one for sure! I'm pretty much set now and will be just the staples of the game going forward for a while. With Florida, Branson, and Vegas...thank goodness I like what's in the bag. Well...now that brings another delivery not made, the bag....I give up.

Stickin with Dan, I don't want to know and should know better.

Too much. Last year I had at least a dozen sets of clubs, a probably spent over $1000 on all of it. When you can get stuff for cheap on Ebay, it doesnt seem like much money until you are getting a different set every month and before you know it youve had a dozen sets in a year.
Ive been better about it this year and have no real plans to change up my set any time soon. I still do check Ebay on a regular basis and do buy clubs if they are cheap (am watching a couple vintage Mizuno putters usually) but to upgrade most of the clubs in my set Id have to lay down a considerable amount of money, which I just dont see myself doing.

This thread is fascinating. I'm a golf nut too but I'd never go through equipment like most in here.

not nearly enough to my liking...way too much according to my SO...

Back