What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I played my entire round with a Lethal yesterday and I really liked how it performed. Excellent spin from short irons and wedges.

Titleist Pro V1x .. If i'm confident with my swing I always stick to the Pro V1x. If i'm not very confident, there is no sense in hitting them in the woods!!! haha My (cheaper) back up ball of choice is NXT Tour

Wilson Staff c:25. still loving it and going strong

Played the Callaway Chrome +, I think I have found my new "back up" ball for my B330-RX.

Been playing the Chrome + most of the time, but stocking up on ProV1's. I'm finding a lot of them in the brush while looking for my buddies ball.

Titleist Pro V1x .. If i'm confident with my swing I always stick to the Pro V1x. If i'm not very confident, there is no sense in hitting them in the woods!!! haha My (cheaper) back up ball of choice is NXT Tour

Shockingly enough this is what I came in to post. For a while I was playing the V1x exclusively but I started losing my swing, not like a slump, like gone and have I ever seen a golf club before and should I find another hobby bad. I went down to an E5 because I get similar distance, good spin, half the price. Played them for several months but still steadily downgrading my swing and watching my handicap go from a 15 to a 23 and wondering what happened (15 was 100% bladed/chunked chips. I putt well and strike the ball ok but failed miserably from 2-30 yards from the green).

I've been playing either the DT solo or WS/Duo becuase they are as cheap as you can go and still have a modestly soft feeling ball that performs decently. Well new instructor, small swing corrections to fix huge problems and I'm heading in the right direction again already knocking it back down to an 18 and dropping steadily with my misses now being left and I hit a draw on all my clubs. I wasn't ready to dive back into v1x's yet because I'm still losing 2-3 a round due to mental mistakes and falling back to my old mess of a swing that felt so right when I was screwing it up so I tried the NXT tour.

Granted, it's not a urethane ball, it doesn't spin and stick like a urethane ball, but it works exceptionally well for what I need right now. I've played my last two rounds with that ball and it's fantastic for my needs. It spins and stick more than the Solo/Duo for me, it's as long if not longer than both of them (very minute differences which could just be me from day to day) but it's got very low driver spin and I get a gentle 5ish yard draw on a full swing that send it out 255-265 and it rolls good. The reason I'm still gaming it over my huge stockpile of E5's I have put away is the lower spin off the woods. Although I'm night and day different right now than I was 2 months ago, I can and will still miss a drive and instead of being a provisional becuase it's in the water or OOB, it's just further in the rough, maybe in the tree line but still playable.

They are also very durable, I played 17.5 holes with one today that saw 2 sand shots and several full LW shots because I was playing with my boss so we played at 5800 and multiple holes were driver wedge for me. It still looked like a new ball when I took my only penalty for the day and crushed a driver 275 off the tee on a dogleg left, watched it bounce twice in the fairway and roll off into the pond on the left side at the 200 yard marker.

For guys like me who need some spin but are working through the issues of the occasional wildly out of whack where the heck did that come 3 fairways over into the cart girls lap swing, it's a great ball to help you keep it in play while still stopping on approach shots with a 7i and up with little but predictable roll.

After testing the Bridgestone e5, I just knew this would be my gamer this year. Then I logged onto THP and read about the Srixon Q-Star. I gave a sleeve a try not long ago and then bought a dozen. Still pretty torn, but the spin skin on the Q-Star is performing pretty well. I can keep the ball pretty straight with these and I'm a little longer with them than the e5. Wondering if this is due to less spin?

Green side performance is on par with the e5 as I can get them to stop like I want them to. Durability leans to the Srixon, but just barely. It just looks new longer. I still have one sleeve of the e5 left and committed to save them until June when everything is green and the weather is HOT. Will make my final decision then.

J.

Had been playing the prov1x or the b330rx recently . Thought the prov1x was the better choice for me for distance but after this past tourney I will be using the new prov1 . We were given two sleeves before the round and put one in play and man I hit some long shots with all clubs. I was definitely pleased with the feel and performance from it .

Don't know anything about the ball I played today but it worked great. Played my first ever 10 holes at even par. Had to leave to pick up my daughter. Precept Laddie.

Titlest NXT S balls. I really like the soft feel, and performance. However with the standard NXT balls providing more distance, I just bought a box of them and will try them out this weekend.

Nike RZN. Soft feel and good distance. It's my go to ball now.

Maxfli U4/x Long, enough spin around the green and cheap if you shop right at Dick's

Sent from my LG-P870 using Tapatalk 2

Pro V1x new version, man that ball is good.

I have been using the New E6 for my first 6 rounds and I have really enjoyed the way it has performed in the cold/wet/windy conditions but I'm heading out today with the E6 & Nike 20Xi-s and I have a sleeve of Pro V1's but the first two will be put throught the paces today as its the first day this year where I'm golfing in semi-dry conditions, no wind and 70* temp, so I'm excited as my first 6 rounds have been the exact opposite weather wise !!!

Last edited:
Wilson Staff FG tour X. I think I may have found a new ball. Just a great performer.

Sat Z Star XV Sun 2013 V1x

Sat Z Star XV Sun 2013 V1x

Saturday I started 1 over par through 7 until a pathetic 7 on an easy par four. 40 front, 42 back with Z Star XV. Very little wind on Saturday. Last year I would have said the XV was longer than the Pro V1x. Based on Sunday's round with the 2013 Pro V1x I may not be able to say that anymore. It seemed like I compressed the Pro V1x better. Shot 42 at daylight with soggy greens and was 5/6 in hitting fairways with the V1x and R1 driver. The V1x new version does seem to be a bit more durable. I did not see any gills on it after full wedge shots although I did have one good scuff from a wedge.

The Srixon Z Star XV is just such a consistent ball. I always fall back to it if my game is lacking.

I played Friday with the new E6, came home found the UPS package from Callaway with a dozen Chrome + and put them in play on Sunday, both balls performed well I shot 81 on Friday and 80 on Sunday, the Sunday round might have been better if I could of chipped, the difference on roll out was big between the E6 and Chrome +, the Chrome + was checking up more and it took me a few holes to get that down which of course cost me some strokes, but overall I believe I found two new balls (for me) that will be in my bag for most of the year.

Last edited:
Played with a couple this weekend... Saturday, tourney round, played with the yellow NXT Tour S. Really like the feel of this ball - doesn't spin as much around the green or on approach shots. Would work for bigger greens or a course where I would plan for roll-outs and potentially "running" the ball onto the front of the green. On Sunday, casual round, I played the yellow Srixon ZStar. Good stopping power, feels good on full shots, and on the putter. Can't comment on wedges too much, as my wedge game stinks, right now.

Tried the new TaylorMade Lethal, not a bad ball at all, but I don't know if I would pay that much for a ball with a seam on it. :what:

It played awesome, held up well I smoked a couple trees and found only minor marks on the ball.

I hope I can keep the three free balls in play for awhile, but I don't think I'd pay for them.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Nike One Tour. Found a handful in my closet and decided to give them a go. Good ball, though I was backing up my scoring irons a little which is something I'm certainly not used to and don't usuall play for. It's a shame they don't make these any more as I would consider them... I'm perfectly happy to stick with my B330RX though.

Played some left over TaylorMade TP5 I had the last couple of rounds. Still one of my favorites tee to green. One of the main factors for me choosing an ideal ball is feel esp off the putter. It just has a soft buttery feel which love.

I'm playing the Maxfli U/6 and think it is equal or better than the Prov 1 or Callaway Hex Black. I got tired of having the same ball as 75% of the guys at my club. My first tee shot yesterday was the longest I had ever hit in the 10th hole at my club - might be the new XHot 3 deep but either way the ball is as long as anything. I no longer have to worry about anybody playing the same ball!

I'm playing the Maxfli U/6 and think it is equal or better than the Prov 1 or Callaway Hex Black. I got tired of having the same ball as 75% of the guys at my club. My first tee shot yesterday was the longest I had ever hit in the 10th hole at my club - might be the new XHot 3 deep but either way the ball is as long as anything. I no longer have to worry about anybody playing the same ball!

I would love to hear more reviews about this ball. I like the U4x last year and have looked at these but not taken the plunge and picked up a box.

Played 9 with the new e6s the other day and I was hitting them quite well. Swung my driver 5 times and hit 4 fairways. The 5th didn't miss by much. I was extremely happy since I've been all over the place with the big stick so far this season

Back