The "Getting to know you" thread

One of my 3 offices.

I just have to know, whenever I see a picture of a law office, that is what it looks like. What is all of those books? Or do lawyers just fill bookshelves with many leather bound books to look really impressive?

He only sat there for 10 seconds. It's amazing we got the picture while he was still content being there. Those little kids, they just have to keep moving. But yes, I always enjoy those moments when he sits with me.

~Rock

I just have to know, whenever I see a picture of a law office, that is what it looks like. What is all of those books? Or do lawyers just fill bookshelves with many leather bound books to look really impressive?

We have approximately 6000 books in that particular office location (some of which are there in my office). They cover every state and territory of the U.S. through about 1964. We have federal case books current through the early 1990's. Mostly, they are there to look good. I pull a book off the shelf maybe 4 times a year. They do look good though, right?

~Rock

We have approximately 6000 books in that particular office location (some of which are there in my office). They cover every state and territory of the U.S. through about 1964. We have federal case books current through the early 1990's. Mostly, they are there to look good. I pull a book off the shelf maybe 4 times a year. They do look good though, right?

~Rock

Hell yeah they do. If I was ever asked I would just say, "Those are lawyer books that we lawyers use for lawyer things. You probably wouldn't understand."

~Rock

Tell the truth................There's a bottle of Scotch behind the 4 green ones! C'mon......you know there is!

Tell the truth................There's a bottle of Scotch behind the 4 green ones! C'mon......you know there is!

I bet McRock's office smells of rich mahogany.

We basically have them to keep the smell of rich mahogany in the conference rooms. There's really no other purpose apart from opening a treatise once every couple months.

When I was in law school, they showed us how to perform research with law books and online. By my first summer clerking, everything was online. I think our associates' brains would melt if I asked them to do research by book.

I bet McRock's office smells of rich mahogany.

And I seriously made my post above before seeing this post. I think we just became best friends.

And I seriously made my post above before seeing this post. I think we just became best friends.

Wanna do karate in the garage?

Fantastic thread idea, Dev.

I'm Seth Diamond. I'm 35 and live in Atlanta with my wife and daughter. I've been married for 10 years (11 in August). My wife and I met our first day in law school orientation. She initially wanted nothing to do with me. But, when I walked around with her one afternoon and kept opening the door for her, she was hooked. (True story: What she didn't know is that any other guy who grew up in the Southeast would have done the same thing. Don't tell her.)

We have a daughter who is four. I did not know what to think about having a daughter (I grew up with a brother but no sisters), but it has been fantastic. It's been amazing watching her grow from a baby to a toddler and now to a little person. I always look forward to the next thing with my daughter. At the same time, I realize that her teenage years will likely not be fun.

I'm an attorney. I do a lot of different things, but my specialty is defending serious injury and death cases. It's interesting stuff to me, and it keeps me coming to the office (along with a mortgage payment and my daughter's pre-K tuition).

I have played golf since I was about 13. I played pretty seriously in high school, but a little less seriously in college and law school. The summer before law school, I worked at a golf course and hit balls every day. I got my handicap down to about a 3. That is a distant memory now. I started getting into golf again about five years ago. I do not have nearly enough time to really work on my game. But, I have accepted that fact and am really happy just to get out and play. My swing is a constant work in progress, and I always feel like I am tinkering with something.

Other than golf, I enjoy running. I started doing some distance running about four or five years ago when I realized that I was pretty fat and needed to change how I exercised. At my heaviest, I was about 300lbs. I'm down to about 230lbs. now. I can still remember running the Peachtree Road Race (a 10K) five years ago and not being able to run the entire way. At this point, I have completed about 10 half marathons and a full marathon last March. I did not think that I would want to run another marathon, but I am already planning on running one in Miami in February 2014. I do not see myself as a "runner," and I know that I will never be an elite runner. But, for me, knowing that I can maintain this exercise regimen is an accomplishment. I keep a photo of me playing Royal County Down (weighing about 300lbs) in my office. It reminds me where I have been physically and also serves as motivation when I don't feel like exercising.

I used to really be into wine, but I don't keep up with it as much now. I'm also a pretty big foodie and really enjoy cooking.

Some of us are "getting to know" each other a little more than others it seems.

Well if you've never read my Tapatalk signature my name is Joseph. I grew up in Perham Minnesota, where we race turtles I won once that was cool, I move to Nebraska in 2005 I love it here, I miss lakes and trees but I don't miss the snow, I guess I do miss activities on, in, and around snow though.

I am an introvert and have trouble meeting people because of it, I haven't always been that way but well I am now. When I get comfortable around people I can be pretty fun.

I like outdoor activities, I'm a big gun nut and hunter, though I haven't been able to get out as much as I want to, also fishing and target shooting, and golf of course. At the same time I'm a geek and play games and spend a lot of time researching random stuff and doing statistics.

One of my friends introduced me to his wife as "the opinionated stubborn but great guy" and that rings true.

I once caught a 7lb walleye while I was sleeping.

I'm not a fan of photographs.

I'm single.

I once chipped in for eagle, and have never gotten close to an eagle again.

I sing, quite a bit, but I hate karaoke.

I dance, but only when I'm really drunk, then I dance a lot.

That's it for now, nothing real exciting.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

She initially wanted nothing to do with me. But, when I walked around with her one afternoon and kept opening the door for her, she was hooked. (True story: What she didn't know is that any other guy who grew up in the Southeast would have done the same thing. Don't tell her.)

Works every time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh, I'm not really sure how I got into golf.

I know one day my buddies went and I wanted to go, so I bought some cheap golf clubs from Walmart.

Then about two year ago I started doing it all the time.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Must be something about golfers, count me in that group as well.

+1 troop 367 ... should we just ask who was'nt a eagle scout ???hahaha

This is an awesome thread!

McRock forgot to mention that he splits into two people when Hawk's been drinking. Amazing talent.

Lets try it from my phone. Here it goes...

I'm Jimmy, I'm 23 I work in the public safety field. I'm a 911 dispatcher for the Genesee County Sheriff's Office part time, and I'm also the Dog Control Officer for the City of Batavia Police Dept part time. The hours suck but it's a really good stepping stone for what I wanna be which is a police officer. I really wanna stay in a smaller town near me to be an actual community police officer and not a big city guy who doesn't get involved with the community.

My other hobby other than golf would be motorcycles. I love sportbikes and everything that involves motorcycle racing.

Here's a few pictures of me and my bikes over the years.

Me.
a3egyga9.jpg

First bike. 2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600
e2uru8ez.jpg

Second bike. 2009 Yamaha R6 (Favorite)
u4a7ena6.jpg

Third bike. 2006 Yamaha R1
u2ehy7a2.jpg

Fourth and last bike. 2009 Suzuki DRZ400SM.
jyjuhynu.jpg

Currently bikeless right now. Keeping my eye open for the right one, looking back now I should have kept my second one!

I'd like to introduce my best friend in the world, she also happens to be my girlfriend. I really don't know how I got so lucky or what she actually sees in me! I'm way out of my league on this one. Her name is Amanda, she's 27 and she is an athletic trainer along with personal trainer. She really is the best person I've ever met in my life and supports me in absolutely everything I do. I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Amanda
aby3u4a8.jpg

Amanda on her first bike.
tyzu9ure.jpg

Her on the race bike at Indianapolis.
yve7ehut.jpg

Her pretty face and my ugly mug.
nabusede.jpg

Lastly here's the other part of our family. Meet Brix and Dakota.

Brixy boy as I like to call him.
tuteba4y.jpg

2anyge9u.jpg

medumere.jpg

adyjyvy6.jpg

yqazadeb.jpg

Here's Dakota. Or Kota as we call em.
2apy7u6e.jpg

avegu3a8.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures, I always get picture happy, but they always say a picture can say a 1000 words so hope you enjoyed them and got to know a little bit more about me!

Works every time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was pretty uncanny. She had been living in DC, and apparently she was not used to someone opening doors for her. I have done it as long as I can remember.

Six4three5, that was an awesome post. Good to meet you!

Six4three5, that was an awesome post. Good to meet you!

Thanks bud! I'm glad to be a part of this community/family/forum!

Back