Thoughts on general manufacturer bag (TM) vs. product-specific bag (R1)

yahtzee

Novice
Reaction score
I've used the TM TMAX stand bag for the past year and a half. The liner ripped inside and TM just replaced it with a brand new R1 TMX stand bag. It's definitely my favorite bag type but last years was more conventional(white) and was just a TM bag. The new one is specific to R1. I game all TM but not the R1. Knowing how they change models every 6 mos it feels weird having an actual model on my bag....am I over-thinking this or does it make sense?

I have the R11 stand bag and its all white with an R11 logo. Its the best bag Ive ever owned.

Meh, it's just a bag. I guess you could get an R1 if it bothers you that much.

I'm with you. I like Callaway bags, the XTT base and I like the colors of the XHot bag but don't game any XHot's. So Im probably a lot less likely to buy it now.

Over think.

I have a lot of Ping outerwear, hats and umbrella. I have one Ping club. I like all that Ping stuff so I keep wearing / using it.

I know what you mean. I have a generic Ping bag. I am play the s56 irons, and I wouldn't like it if I had an i20 bag or something else. Maybe it ijust just you and I that are wierd, but I would sell it and pick up a bag that is just TM.

I used a Nike Sasquatch carry bag for years. Honestly, it bugged me once I eventually took the Sasquatch driver and woods out and it really bugged me last season, when it just felt dated. I stayed away from a model specific bag after that.

I love the R1 bag, but I was skeptical of getting a bag with a club model that I don't own. I've always wanted one of those TM TMAX bags. Over-thinking, but I understand where you're coming from.

I wouldn't over-think the bag matching stuff. If it suits your purpose, stick with it.

I game a Cobra bag, and haven't had a Cobra club in 4 years. I just really like the bag, tons of pockets, lots of space, looks good on my yellow Clic-Gear.

I typically stay away from items that can be dated with a logo but I know I'm weird like that. That is cool that the replaced it for you.

Personal preference. I have a Nike bag and don't play a single Nike club. It doesn't bother me. If it does bother you though, it might not hurt to try out the R1.

I think you should use what you like. I have an Ogio bag and no Ogio clubs...wait they don't have clubs. :smile:

Personal preference. I have a Nike bag and don't play a single Nike club. It doesn't bother me. If it does bother you though, it might not hurt to try out the R1.

Thanks for all of the replies...I am not talking about the actual manufacturer...I will always play something TM. I have tried the R1 and it didnt work out but the model-specific piece down the road is my concern. Golf is mental, no doubt. For me, I think I should be institutionalized sometimes. :)

I prefer to not use a golf club manufacturer logo bag. I'm not loyal to any one specific brand as you could tell if you looked at my stand bag. I prefer to have a quality bag with colors of my choice.

It's just a bag, and a nice one at that. Who cares if it is club specific. I know what you are feeling and I would just enjoy having that bag. So you don't carry that particular club. What is the real difference. You like and have other TM clubs in the bag. So my opinion is it's not an issue.

They don't change models every six months they change models every year just like almost everyone else (the remaining being longer time not shorter), but if you still want to think like that that's cool.

If it bothers you to not have an R1, get an R1 or a new bag. Personally it does bother me to have a bag from a company whose clubs I don't play, so I just use a bag from a bag specific company where that isn't an issue.

THPing on Tapatalk

I've used the TM TMAX stand bag for the past year and a half. The liner ripped inside and TM just replaced it with a brand new R1 TMX stand bag. It's definitely my favorite bag type but last years was more conventional(white) and was just a TM bag. The new one is specific to R1. I game all TM but not the R1. Knowing how they change models every 6 mos it feels weird having an actual model on my bag....am I over-thinking this or does it make sense?

I play all Nike clubs, and bought a Nike Stand Bag in the same color scheme that the Slingshots are in. Anal, yes. But it would drive me crazy to not be matchy-matchy.

Doesn't matter. That being said, a staff bag would be more awesome regardless of name on it.

Sun Mountain doesn't make clubs.. OGIO doesn't make clubs.. Its not that big of a deal, IMO.

Sun Mountain doesn't make clubs.. OGIO doesn't make clubs.. Its not that big of a deal, IMO.

That's not my point...my point is related directly to a model within a manufacturer (R1 for TM).

Personally I don't think I would have a problem gaming a club specific bag IF I really like the look of the bag, but I think the companies know that some people will constantly change their gear to match and therefore the costs involved in rolling out the specific bags are most likely offset by what they make on the sales

I have an Adams bag, bought because of the features, but do not have any Adams clubs - I am of the opinion that if I like something enough then I will use/play it regardless

I used to think my entire set needed to match, it happened to be all TM, but in the end I still use that TM cart bag and like it because it works, just go with what you like the look of and forget about having those clubs in that specific bag!!! But no it's not a silly question at all.

The more I think about it, there aren't any silly questions on THP!!!

Honestly, that is one thing that is stopping me from pulling a trigger on a Bridgestone mini-staffer. Well, that and $250. Maybe I will never be able to have any lefty bridgestone items, but their mini staff bags are awesome.

However, I currently have an R11 stand bag and I have no Taylormade in the bag besides a putter. I don't think it is a big deal, but if you even have the smallest amount of doubt, don't do it. Golf has enough distractions.

I really couldn't care less what name my bag has on it, as long as it's a nice bag and I can get a good deal on it. I use a Maxfli stand bag right now, and used an Acuity one that held up for 6 or 7 years before that. If I had found a good sale deal on a TaylorMade, Ping, Callaway, etc. bag I would have bought that. Doesn't matter one lick in my opinion - if I were you I'd game that R1 bag till it dies, regardless of what's in your bag!

I have the R11s TMX stand bag they are a great bag i do have the R11s in my bag but before i got it i still had the bag with a R9 ST it bugged my a bit so i bought an R11s head cover and used that. It was just a personal thing none of the guys i play with cared what my bags said vs what driver was in it. One of my buddies has a Titleist Staff Bag and play TM Woods

Back