Lie angle question

jamie_garrett

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a question about what exactly the lie angle of certain clubs will effect. I am looking at buying some Ping G20 irons. I currently play the Callaway X22 irons, and after comparing the two sets, there is a difference in the lie angles on some of the clubs. For example, the 5 iron in the G20 set has a lie angle of 60.75* and the lie angle of my X22 5 iron is 61.5. What exactly does that mean and what will it effect? The reason I ask is because I am getting a really good deal on the G20s, and I want to make sure I am not making a big mistake if I get them. They are black dot, and when I do the Ping online fitting, it recommends a red dot. I don't have the opportunity to hit the Pings, or get fitted, before I have to make a decision. Thanks for any help.

Moved over to the fitting section.

I can only speak in generalities of course, but if the lie angle is too upright, the ball will draw and if it is too flat than the ball should fade.

Now as mentioned, I can only speak in a general sense, because much of what will happen is based upon the swing.

I wouldn't put a ton of stock into the online fitting chart, but that's just me. Go to a store or club and see if you can find some to hit. PING demo carts are pretty stacked.

My problem is that the closest place that has a Ping fitting cart is a little over an hour away, and I need to make a decision on these fairly soon. The length of the G20's are the same as my X22's, so that shouldn't be an issue. I am torn on whether to go ahead and get these or not.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the new set of irons?

My advice is if you are to a point where your swing is pretty consistent, go get fit. It doesn't matter if you are getting a great deal or not. If the clubs don't work for YOU and YOUR swing, then it is just wasted money.

If the differences are within a degree or so (as it looks) it's probably worth trying them out - if you determine you need a different lie angle, they should be able to be bent to how you like them. Heck, manufacturing variances could mean two clubs with a stated lie angle difference of a degree might be the same...

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

I am hoping to gain a little distance, as well as get more consistent with them. My iron play is very inconsistent. Plus, I am hoping that the G20's will be a little more forgiving on mis-hits than my X22's.

I tend to agree with rtparty. It's a bigger investment and you might as well get it done right the first time. Especially since PING is so wrapped up in the fitting process.

I tend to agree with rtparty. It's a bigger investment and you might as well get it done right the first time. Especially since PING is so wrapped up in the fitting process.
My only issue is that I am getting a really good deal on these. I would be getting a 4-UW for $325, and they are in really good condition. I am afraid if I pass on them, get fitted, and still need a black dot, then I will be out over $100 more than what I would have spent if I had purchased these.

I am hoping to gain a little distance, as well as get more consistent with them. My iron play is very inconsistent. Plus, I am hoping that the G20's will be a little more forgiving on mis-hits than my X22's.

Those two sets are quite similar. Honestly your best bet to accomplish what you want to do is go for a basic fitting with your current clubs and try some lessons, if you aren't currently doing that.

My only issue is that I am getting a really good deal on these. I would be getting a 4-UW for $325, and they are in really good condition. I am afraid if I pass on them, get fitted, and still need a black dot, then I will be out over $100 more than what I would have spent if I had purchased these.

It's a risk you'll just have to decide on yourself man. To me, a set of irons I hate for $325 isn't worth a dime. You might save money by making an informed purchase since you'll only have to do it once. Or, you might pay a little more for nothing gained. Tough call, but I think it sounds like you've got your mind made up for the most part anyway. Good luck and I hope you find something you like!

There is more to fitting than lie angle. There is shaft flex, grip size, swing weight, etc. The chances that these clubs are on sale would fit you correctly is quite small. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket you really want them, then by all means get them. My advice stands as above. Good luck!

Lol, I definitely don't have money to burn, that's kind of why I hate passing on the deal. But I guess I will probably hold off on buying these until I can go through a fitting. Do you happen to know if Edwin Watts charges for a fitting like that?

Looks like Cedar Hill CC in your hometown is a certified retailer. The pro might throw you a bone. They are always looking to make a few bucks.

It's a risk you'll just have to decide on yourself man. To me, a set of irons I hate for $325 isn't worth a dime. You might save money by making an informed purchase since you'll only have to do it once. Or, you might pay a little more for nothing gained. Tough call, but I think it sounds like you've got your mind made up for the most part anyway. Good luck and I hope you find something you like!

I definitely don't have my mind made up. I don't know what to do really. I am kind of leaning towards trying to wait until I can get fit, but my only problem is that I live in a rural area, so that opportunity doesn't come about for me too often.

Also, Kingsport, TN.

Looks like Cedar Hill CC in your hometown is a certified retailer. The pro might throw you a bone. They are always looking to make a few bucks.

Yeah, I am a member at Cedar Hill, but they don't have a pro at the moment. The previous pro quit a couple of months ago, and they haven't hired one to replace him yet.

Lol, I definitely don't have money to burn, that's kind of why I hate passing on the deal. But I guess I will probably hold off on buying these until I can go through a fitting. Do you happen to know if Edwin Watts charges for a fitting like that?

They would probably charge you a small fee, but depending on the store they may not. The good news is that you will know you measurements for future purchases.

Yeah, I am a member at Cedar Hill, but they don't have a pro at the moment. The previous pro quit a couple of months ago, and they haven't hired one to replace him yet.

Bummer! That place in Kingsport has a demo day on 6/22. I know it's going to be late for this specific set, but it might be worth the time. Get your fitting specs and then keep your eye out for a deal.

Bummer! That place in Kingsport has a demo day on 6/22. I know it's going to be late for this specific set, but it might be worth the time. Get your fitting specs and then keep your eye out for a deal.

Yeah, I saw where Warriors Path in Kingsport is having a demo day on 6/22. I will probably wait until then to do something. Kingsport is about an hour from my hometown, so it isn't like its very close. Just one of the draw backs of living in a rural area.

That does make it tough. I'm not really trying to talk you out of or into anything, so go with your gut. I don't think your lie angle issue will be that big of a deal fwiw, but there's a lot of other things to consider as well with irons.

That does make it tough. I'm not really trying to talk you out of or into anything, so go with your gut. I don't think your lie angle issue will be that big of a deal fwiw, but there's a lot of other things to consider as well with irons.

Yeah, I know. I have had the X22s for 4 years now, and I am just ready for a change. My iron play is the weak part of my game. I thought that the G20's might help me out with the distance issues I have with my irons. The club ho in me is just itching to buy something, lol

I know that feeling. G20's are a good set of irons and should retain their value for awhile as well. Good luck!

Yeah, I know they will retain their value. I am really getting the itch to get new clubs, lol. I just don't know how much longer I can wait. I put my X22's in the Marketplace yesterday but I haven't gotten any bites on them.

Back