Vijay Sues PGATour

I wouldn't push too hard, I could see Wada climbing up his nether regions with a suit of their own or some sort of drug test from the tour. Most that protest this load has something to hide. I know Wada can't force him to have a test but its not out of the realm for the tour to so

Wonder if Cleveland/Srixon will drop him like a rented scooter?

I hope so! I like and play Cleveland Mashies. The loss of my future business means nothing to them, but I won't buy anything else from them until he is no longer associated with them.

J.

I wouldn't push too hard, I could see Wada climbing up his nether regions with a suit of their own or some sort of drug test from the tour. Most that protest this load has something to hide. I know Wada can't force him to have a test but its not out of the realm for the tour to so

His random test may start happening a little more often.

Today I learned that Vijay doesn't want to golf on the PGA anymore (once he loses and they take away his card). I wouldn't be surprised. He was never any good to my eyes, always just digging himself a hole.

Both sides screwed up (I think), never been a fan of Finchem, never been a fan of VJ (never could get past the intentional altering scoredard on Asian Tour fiasco), but how VJ comes out of this lawsuit with his honor restored is beyond me. Only answer I can come up with is deer antler spray has a very negative effect on brain cells.

Can't speak for the man, I don't know him. His actions are pathetic! I hope he leaves the tour.

Most that protest this load has something to hide.
This has proven to be the case over and over. I keep being reminded of all the lawsuits Lance Armstrong brought against people. This is the light that VJ now casts himself in. He looks like an idiot already, now he adds lack of accountability to the mix. It is a sad day in golf.

It does not give me any reason to agree with the cheater. He broke the rule- knowingly - and admitted it of his own volition.
As for unionizing.... please! the top 20 or 50 would never go along. Golf is one of the last sports to be earning what you get. No BS. work hard, get paid.
Happily Tapping though I prefer ballroom & Latin

I think a lot of the Tour's dirty laundry will get aired if this thing doesn't get dismissed. Defense will try to get a copy of every discipline issue that has happened in the last 100 years.

:poop: I ran out of :popcorn:

Strange but true, I just saw a piece of a deer antler in a pet store. Wonder if it will give my dog extra recovering power from his toy chewing.

Wow. That's sheds new light on the situation for me. Can I root for Vijay now?
Not really.

First and foremost, the merits of his factual assertions make no difference in a legal sense if he didn't suffer some actual damages. Even if everything he asserts is true he basically has no case unless he suffered damages. I am not aware that he did.

Second, the only part of the story that could be a problem for the tour is how they handled Calcavechia two years earlier. But even then there likely is no mandate that they treat every member exactly the same, just that they act in good faith and provide members due process. The first is arguable, I guess. The second seems pretty obviously a loser for Singh...the tour does not, in my opinion, have any duty to independently test items on WADA's banned list.

Third, none of this affects the fact that he took a banned substance.

Fourth, he signed the agreement consenting to the tour's drug program, including the provision that players can't suethe tour over the program.

Fifth, I am very curious if he can be suspended for suing the tour, given that he agreed not to.

Not really.

First and foremost, the merits of his factual assertions make no difference in a legal sense if he didn't suffer some actual damages. Even if everything he asserts is true he basically has no case unless he suffered damages. I am not aware that he did.

Second, the only part of the story that could be a problem for the tour is how they handled Calcavechia two years earlier. But even then there likely is no mandate that they treat every member exactly the same, just that they act in good faith and provide members due process. The first is arguable, I guess. The second seems pretty obviously a loser for Singh...the tour does not, in my opinion, have any duty to independently test items on WADA's banned list.

Third, none of this affects the fact that he took a banned substance.

Fourth, he signed the agreement consenting to the tour's drug program, including the provision that players can't suethe tour over the program.

Fifth, I am very curious if he can be suspended for suing the tour, given that he agreed not to.

All of the above assumes that there wasn't gross negligence, correct? Maybe this case will shed some light on that. To me this case could morph into some sort of class-action type.

All of the above assumes that there wasn't gross negligence, correct? Maybe this case will shed some light on that. To me this case could morph into some sort of class-action type.
I don't remember, are damages not required for GN?

Well the money escrow, if all facts as stated are true, really puts the whole mess into a new light for me. Still not rooting for VJ.

I have always wanted to see an accounting of moneys that the PGA burns through, wife's former company sponsors tournaments and a bunch of players and it was crazy when I heard the dollar figures they were putting out to be a "minor sponsor", no doubt PGA tourney costs are huge, but man I gotta believe there are huge amounts of money floating around somewhere in the PGA accounting books.

Link to some of the monies http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-08/golf-executives-salaries

Well the money escrow, if all facts as stated are true, really puts the whole mess into a new light for me. Still not rooting for VJ.

I have always wanted to see an accounting of moneys that the PGA burns through, wife's former company sponsors tournaments and a bunch of players and it was crazy when I heard the dollar figures they were putting out to be a "minor sponsor", no doubt PGA tourney costs are huge, but man I gotta believe there are huge amounts of money floating around somewhere in the PGA accounting books.

Link to some of the monies http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2011-08/golf-executives-salaries

They they said last night if Vijay were to win the lawsuit funds would come from player retirement money and not the PGA itself.

I can't stand Vijay, but the whole escrow & forfeiture of winnings issue could be a key point in him winning the lawsuit. I can't see much legal standing for creating an appeals process that allows someone to continue to work, but doesn't pay them for their performance while waiting for the appeal to be completed. They could go back and revoke wins, finishes, etc, but if the appeal can't be heard in a timely fashion, he has to be paid. Otherwise, the true length of the suspension is effectively closer to 120 days.

The article says he's claiming "emotional distress". Don't you need to have emotions for that to happen?

Do I think the Tour botched the handling of this incident? Absolutely. Does that change how I feel about Vijay in this situation? No.

As many have stated, he knowingly took a substance that was on the banned list. He admitted it in the biggest print magazine remaining in sports. What was the Tour supposed to do? They had to react. Had it been kept on the DL, they probably would have handled it the same way they did Calc. I've always had the impression that the PGA Tour doesn't really want to know if guys are doping. They'd rather have an ineffective testing policy that most fans take at face value and get on with it. It's not like most of the guys on Tour "look" like they're doping and other sports draw all the suspicion.

The whole "I didn't know" argument is a bunch of B.S. That doesn't fly anymore and hasn't for over a decade. Whether he looks like one or not, Vijay is a professional athlete and his body is what makes him his money. In that position, wouldn't you be intensely careful about every supplement you ever took? In my opinion, he got lucky that they took so long with the appeal and WADA changed their stance on the spray. It worked out as well as possible for him given the circumstances.

If Vijay thinks he lost marketing value due to the suspension/appeal, he's not going to know what hit him after this lawsuit. If it goes to court, his character will be put on trial and that will bring witnesses and details from his cheating scandal to light. I think the hardcore golfing public knows about that stuff, but a lot of casual or newer fans have probably never even heard about it. If I was Cleveland/Srixon, I'd be looking for an out clause right now. The fact that if he wins, the money will come from the players, isn't going to make him any friends either. I've always thought Vijay was just kind of a jerk, not really a good guy. Now he's coming off as that and just bitter, when I'd be stoked to have gotten off without any actual sanctions if I were him.

Back