OnCore Evo Golf Ball Review

Thanks for the review Jman. I don't know about these, it just seems pretty gimmicky to me and for $40 a dozen I would probably stick with my current gamer or if I was really battling a slice and needed it to go straight I'd get a Bridgestone e6 and save some $ and probably be better off all around. I would be interested in trying on though, I bet that sound you talk about is interesting to say the least. Thanks buddy!

Just a quick clarification if you will, I take it that you don't need to line the ball up like a Polara to take advantage of the no spin benefits? I see that you said that there is no seam so I can't imagine that it would make a difference and that would make me believe they might have a slight chance of catching on. That always bothered me with the Polara's that you had to line them up and that feels like cheating if you were to touch the ball once it is off the tee.

More than I would spend on balls, but I do like the reduced sidespin and the roll on the greens.

Just a quick clarification if you will, I take it that you don't need to line the ball up like a Polara to take advantage of the no spin benefits? I see that you said that there is no seam so I can't imagine that it would make a difference and that would make me believe they might have a slight chance of catching on. That always bothered me with the Polara's that you had to line them up and that feels like cheating if you were to touch the ball once it is off the tee.

Nope, no need to line it up like the Polara.

Also, I said in the review that there IS a visible seam and it can actually be seen in one of the pictures in the review for reference sake.

Nope, no need to line it up like the Polara. Also, I said in the review that there IS a visible seam and it can actually be seen in one of the pictures in the review for reference sake.
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the shoddy reading skills.

Interesting thoughts, and product.

Did you, or can you weigh the ball compared to other balls?

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

The weight should be the same as a normal golf ball, otherwise the MOI (moment of inertia) increase would not be maximized - which is what OncOre EVO is trying to achieve.
One point I would like to make about the "reduction of sidespin": it is not possible to reduce sidespin by itself with a ball that is symmetrical, such as the OnCore EVO. The backspin and sidespin will decrease proportionally as the MOI increases. The ball can only spin around one axis so the concept of sidespin and back spin occuring at once is really a physics concept where the spin and spin axis are resolved into the 3 orthogonal spin planes (back spin, sidespin and rifle spin). The Evo is designed to have a higher MOI and this will reduce the spin, but it will not change the spin axis. The reduced spin generates lower lift, and lower lift means the ball will not hook or slice as much when the spin axis is tilted right or left.

The MOI increase unfortuately cuts both ways. If for example it is 15% higher MOI, it will reduces spin by 15% off the driver, it will also reduce spin by 15% off all other clubs, so the short game is negatively impacted.
I am a little surprised that the ball seems to putt noticably straighter as I would think the MOI increase would not be that noticeable except on really long and fast putts where the rpms is high enought that MOI becomes important. But maybe they have really juiced up the MOI? The putting performance might be easily quantified by simply rolling the ball down a green using a stimpmeter. If you roll the ball through a non-level region, I think you should be able to see the MOI effect because the higher the MOI the straighter the line will be. Maybe someone could try this and report back?

My hat is off to THP for doing such good reviews! You guys reviewed the Polara balls the last couple years and did a great job.
Thanks for providing an island of objectivity in what can often be a sea of marketing babble.

Dave Felker
Co-Inventor of Polara golf balls
and former VP R&D and founding member of Callaway Golf Ball Company

USGA Approves OnCore's Hollow-Metal Core Golf Ball

Patented Golf Ball Design is a "Milestone" in the History of
the Game

BUFFALO, N.Y., Oct. 23, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- For over thirty-five
years the rules of the USGA have been largely unchanged when it comes
to the specific characteristics governing golf ball technology and
performance. While clubs have undergone significant changes during that
period, the basic elements of golf ball construction have stayed fairly
constant. However, on October 15, 2013, the USGA notified OnCore Golf
that "Golf balls with rigid cores whose core diameters do not exceed
0.9 inches, such as the OnCore Evo Ball, will be permitted exceptions
to the "traditional and customary form and make" requirement in Rule 1
of Appendix III." As a result of this new interpretation, OnCore's EVO
ball was tested and found to be conforming to the Rules of Golf. It
will appear on the list of conforming equipment which will next be
updated on November 6th.

Industry thought-leaders have described the introduction of a hollow
metal core as ".. a milestone in the history of golf and for the golf
ball in particular.." The golf ball community now has the ability to
consider and incorporate an entirely new approach to golf ball
construction - leading to a wider variety of golf balls that can be
tailored for players of all skill levels while remaining true to the
Rules of Golf.

"We are thrilled with the USGA's determination that rigid cores such as
the OnCore hollow metal-core, will be permissible in designing the golf
balls of the future. We have had an enthusiastic reaction to our ball
from players of all skill levels. Our objective has always been to help
golfers have a better experience and get more enjoyment from the game,"
stated Bret Blakely, OnCore's President. "We expect that OnCore's
products and technology which are exclusively secured by three U.S.
patents will soon become the trendsetters in the industry."

One of our dreams is to have young, up and coming tour players using
our equipment. With the USGA approval, this dream can become reality,
which is really exciting for us." stated Steve Coulton, Vice President.
"To accelerate that objective and provide OnCore with the financial
resources needed to execute our plan, we've now established a
partnership with SeedInvest - one of the leading equity-based,
crowdfunding platforms connecting accredited investors to high-quality
start-ups seeking funding. We encourage fans of the company and ball
who might be interested in investing in OnCore to visit
www.seedinvest.com/oncore.golf."

About OnCore Golf (www.oncoregolf.com) is a dynamic and innovated golf
ball company led by two young entrepreneurs in their early 30s, Bret
Blakely and Steve Coulton. The company is headquartered in Buffalo, NY
and is dedicated to improving the lives, scores, and enjoyment of
golfers of all skill levels by offering exciting products that live up
to the company's tagline - "You Just Became a Better Golfer."

I remember a recent review on these and the performance wasn't anything startling better than a "traditional" ball. I think it was Jman that did it and said they sounded funny and didn't check up on the greens.

Good for them on getting approval not sure if they will gain any ground on the pros switching though.

First I'm seeing this thread and after reading Jman's review, the first thing I wonder was...Is this a legal golf ball. So I start reading the comments, and finally there it is. Hawk you're on top of things, as I was about to go Google this.
It's an interesting concept for a golf ball, to say the least. I wouldn't mind hitting a sleeve just to hear the sound off my driver alone!
Has anyone else recently picked up a sleeve or dozen? What are your takes on these?

Didn't think these would be legal. Might be a great ball to throw to a first timer or those once a year charity scramble guys. Reducing sidespin can be huge for making it an enjoyable experience for newer players and they already tend to not spin balls on the green so this shouldn't affect them much.

I think that the target golfer for these types of balls are typically guys that play cheaper distance/straight balls. Not sure if they'll shell out $40 for these.

Obviously that's just my opinion, but I guess we'll see if they sell enough at that price to stay around for very long.

THey do what they say, but for me they make every driver sound really loud. So loud.

My r11s already about breaks my eardrums. Wonder how much worse it can get.. Might need to try these

I found this thread so I figured I would add to it....Since they are a local company they were at a demo day I went to today. The technology seems very interesting and the hollow ball with the metal insert is very unique. They now have 3 different balls to accommodate all golfers. The co founder was actually the person at the booth so he talked all about the market and how they have been growing a bigger foot print. He said the tour ball they are coming out with is a 4 layer urethane with a much smaller version of the metal insert in the more GI ball. He said a local pro who has been playing the prov1x his whole life said that it feels just as good.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Ypu almost can't hit those balls in the simulator because they are so loud. Interested to hit one outside this spring.

All I know is the ball that I reviewed made every driver sound like a Nike sumo.

All I know is the ball that I reviewed made every driver sound like a Nike sumo.
I think your reviewed it in 2013? There's been a lot of time to improve the first model they ever made. The one with out the metal insert that is aimed toward feel players and now that brand new tour urethane one. He gave me a free one to try and I am going to try it out this spring.

I think your reviewed it in 2013? There's been a lot of time to improve the first model they ever made. The one with out the metal insert that is aimed toward feel players and now that brand new tour urethane one. He gave me a free one to try and I am going to try it out this spring.

IMO, there is still a chunk of metal in the ball and that will no matter how many layers you put around it effect not only compression but the sound/feel. It just will.

The owner gave Maddog a sleeve so he can do a review on THP. So stay tuned....

Back