Official 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically, the NBA has a floor. It's at 85% of the soft salary cap (~50 million). Houston had the lowest salary this year at 55 million, so being under 50 million is really hard to do, so the floor isn't really in play too much.

The current cap is at 58 million, and just taking all NBA salaries and dividing by 30, the minimum hard cap would have to be at 70.7 million to accommodate all of the current contracts. Big market teams would love to freely spend 71 million without penalty.

Technically, the NBA has a floor. It's at 85% of the soft salary cap (~50 million). Houston had the lowest salary this year at 55 million, so being under 50 million is really hard to do, so the floor isn't really in play too much.

The current cap is at 58 million, and just taking all NBA salaries and dividing by 30, the minimum hard cap would have to be at 70.7 million to accommodate all of the current contracts. Big market teams would love to freely spend 71 million without penalty.

Isn't the tax level just over $70 MIL already? Big market teams can spend that now with no penalty. The new COB does give big market teams an advantage over the leagues poorest sisters. Small market teams will still require an owner who is willing to lose some money most every year if they want to accumulate enough talent to compete.

What the new COB does accomplish is escalating the penalty (tax) dramatically for the serial (year after year) free spenders. The impact on teams like the Knicks, Heat, Laker etc. probably won't be known for a couple of years but I suspect it will even make guys like Cuban think twice about who he spends his money on. The way I understand it if a team is 15 MIL over the cap in 2013-2014 they will owe about $28 MIL in incremental tax penalty. If the same team is 15 MIL over again in 2014-2015 that team will be considered a repeat offender and the Tax Penalty will escalate to $40 MIL plus.

To put it in perspective the Heat will owe the big three alone 56 MIL next season and will probably have a payroll over 85 MIL. In 2014-2015 the big three salaries escalate to over $61 MIL. I'm not convinced big market teams like the Heat and Lakers will be able to sustain the current Superstar hoarding model for very long.

Good organizations that build through the draft will continue to be championship relevant in the long run. The last two COB's were a a much bigger advantage for the big market free spenders over the last decade yet the Spurs, OKC, Pistons etc. developed and competed at a very high level. In my mind the new COB will only help the teams that focus on drafting well and developing talent.

The initial tax level is over 70M at the moment, but a team cannot freely spend up to that amount. You can only do so much if you are over the salary cap of 58M. You will be a non-factor in free agency unless you use a non-tax payer exception which is only about 4M if you are over the cap (even less if you are over the luxury tax). I think that the repeat offender tax will be great since it starts at $2.5 per every $1 that the team is over the cap, but this isn't beginning until either next seson or the season after. Hell, even the $1.5/$1 ratio of being over the luxury cap for the first time can be quite a large out of pocket expense for the owners, especially with a team like LA who had team salaries of over 100M this year. That is a nice chunk of change even for the mighty big market teams.

The initial tax level is over 70M at the moment, but a team cannot freely spend up to that amount. You can only do so much if you are over the salary cap of 58M. You will be a non-factor in free agency unless you use a non-tax payer exception which is only about 4M if you are over the cap (even less if you are over the luxury tax). I think that the repeat offender tax will be great since it starts at $2.5 per every $1 that the team is over the cap, but this isn't beginning until either next seson or the season after. Hell, even the $1.5/$1 ratio of being over the luxury cap for the first time can be quite a large out of pocket expense for the owners, especially with a team like LA who had team salaries of over 100M this year. That is a nice chunk of change even for the mighty big market teams.

You are right but don't most teams (if willing to spend) bridge the gap between the Cap & the Tax by signing their own Free Agents?

Other factors over an above the repeat offender clause is the inability for teams over the tax to use the bi-annual exception, they can't take a player back in a sign & trade, the value of the mid-level exception is lower etc. etc. I agree it is definately going to be harder on the free spenders.

You are right but don't most teams (if willing to spend) bridge the gap between the Cap & the Tax by signing their own Free Agents?

They can only sign their own FA if they are over the cap if they have the player's Bird rights. However, if a player is traded from one team to another, the team receiving the player inherits their Bird rights. Most of the time though, the team will own the player's Bird rights when it comes time to re-sign since it is only 3 years to have the rights (2 years for early Bird rights, but this one has more limitations)

I'm just bitter because my Pistons got jumped yet again.

A lot of good NBA talk after I went to bed last night. I need to start staying up later haha. This may be the worst year in NBA history to have the #1 pick. I don't see Noel or any of the other guys doing much. Now, if Cleveland can get lucky again next year it's a completely different story. Next years draft should be stacked and there should be some potential superstars. If they could get the #1 pick next year that might be enough to catch LeBron's interest. Then Cleveland would really have something there.

Cavs will find a way to mess up that first pick

Really excited about this Heat vs. Pacers series. I think it can be a real good one.

Go spurs

Really excited about this Heat vs. Pacers series. I think it can be a real good one.

I agree! The Pacers have the ability to surprise the Heat, and if not, wear them down for the winner of the West (which seems to be San Antonio). Pacers have plenty of young, good talent and the "underdog role" on their side. My question is why is the first game of the East finals after the 2nd game of the West? Very weird scheduling if you ask me, even though they say it's because they have the Finals start date locked in.

Lebron looks awesome early. Wade looks like crap on both ends of the floor. Not moving well.

LeBron with 2 fouls in the 1st. Not good for Miami...

Miami looked pathetic in the first half. 42-37 Indy. Feels like it should be bigger. Indy may regret not building a bigger lead with how poorly Miami has played. A lot of these Miami turnover are unforced and they're missing shots they usually make. Reminds me a lot of Game 1 against Chicago.

Side note; David West always brings it against Miami. Absolutely owns them.

LeBron looks like crap since his hot start. He needs to attack the freaking rim. Go at Hibbert.

Pacers look awful in 3rd

Oh, there's the Heat. Lol.

LeBron is hurt won't dribble with rh now

Must be ok now

Oh and lol at 3 days off before next game for spurs

Hate the people that call what Lebron just did a flop. He sold the contact. Way different.

Bosh disappeared in the 1st half, now Wade has disappeared for the 2nd.

And Lebron is still playing poorly, though it's getting slightly better.

They need to stop letting LeBron get to the hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back