The Anchoring Ban

I totally disagree. The USGA and R&A are the keepers of golf. Being such, I feel they have the right to keep with the tradition and history of the game.

Golf is an honorable game. Elitist and people with personal agendas should not be allowed to change the game to suit themselves.

Keep with the tradition and history of the game? What history or tradition suggests that anchoring should be banned when they have allowed it for the past 30+ years?

If you let the people that PAY become the keepers of golf, the game will be changed to where it will be unrecognizable. Classic case of the crazies running the asylum...

Unfortunately, it is the players of the game that allow to USGA to exist.

No argument.. It should have been done years ago. Mistakes made hundreds of years ago are still being corrected in our world.

Better to correct a mistake late than never correct it.

Keep with the tradition and history of the game? What history or tradition suggests that anchoring should be banned when they have allowed it for the past 30+ years?

80 years. It was first used over 80 years ago.

As compared to 500 years when the players simply knew what a golf swing was supposed to be? When the traditional method of swinging was simply a given? When players accepted the inherent difficulty of the game and dealt with it?

Thank goodness. If people with your mindset were in charge, the game of golf would be lost. Since those players do allow the USGA to exist, then the majority of them must feel that the USGA performs a necessary and useful function in preserving the game.

As compared to 500 years when the players simply knew what a golf swing was supposed to be? When the traditional method of swinging was simply a given? When players accepted the inherent difficulty of the game and dealt with it?

If that's the case there would never be any advancements in golf.

I have no issue with the timing of it. It's been used for awhile and it's been won with long ago. However, it used to be considered a last ditch effort to fix putting woes but now it is being taught early and, as such, the timing if this is okay IMO.

Thank goodness. If people with your mindset were in charge, the game of golf would be lost. Since those players do allow the USGA to exist, then the majority of them must feel that the USGA performs a necessary and useful function in preserving the game.

Lets try to keep the insults to a minimum. Share your opinion, debate with others, but insulting people will not be tolerated here.

If you keep excluding people the game of golf will be lost, this ban is going to exclude people from playing.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

You're better than this.

Again, how is an anchored putter hurting the game of golf or flying in the face of the past 80 years of tradition?

True to an extent. With that being said, I think all other major tours are abiding by the USGA & R&A ban. Only the PGA feel they are "bigger than the game".. The manufacturers have a monetary interest. They just want to sell more product regardless of the rules. The media, all media, just want the controversy for air time, or page space.. Money, money, money....

Though it's cold as hell outside, I gotta get ready to play some golf.. Have a great day all!

True to an extent. With that being said, I think all other major tours are abiding by the USGA & R&A ban. Only the PGA feel they are "bigger than the game".. The manufacturers have a monetary interest. They just want to sell more product regardless of the rules. The media, all media, just want the controversy for air time, or page space.. Money, money, money....

Though it's cold as hell outside, I gotta get ready to play some golf.. Have a great day all!

Wouldn't the manufacturers benefit from the ban, in two years they're going to sell more putters because people are forced to change.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Who decided that was the spirit of the game? If it was written or state somewhere I will be glad to read it. The spirit of the game, I always thought, was to get the ball from the tee box into the hole with as few strokes as possible.

Again, who does it hurt to anchor a putter? What tradition is it in spite of.

Let's just build a robotic golf machine. People with severe ailments can push it around the course and enjoy the game more. After all, the point is simply to get the ball from tee to hole in as few strokes as possible.

Naturally, I'm taking that argument to an extreme. The point is that the anchored stroke does violate the principle of free swinging the club. If you continue to allow people to anchor, the will come up with new methods to exploit the stroke.

It should have been done years and years ago, but it needed to be done.

Wouldn't the manufacturers benefit from the ban, in two years they're going to sell more putters because people are forced to change.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Yes. While they got a great spike in sales of longer putters over the last two years, putter sales were still flat almost across the board. So they will make a small monetary gain by the change if the change was strictly about dollars for them. Unlike the groove rule change, this one does not make manufacturers adjust anything major with creation, so it should be a wash either way.

In the end the manufacturers know far too well it is always going to be about more people playing the game that brings them dollars. Not about small rule changes, unless of course any of these changes move players to and from.

Let's just build a robotic golf machine. People with severe ailments can push it around the course and enjoy the game more. After all, the point is simply to get the ball from tee to hole in as few strokes as possible.

One could say that about both sides of this argument since they are defining how one should putt and with what (despite their feeble attempt to say its not about the equipment).

Who are these USGA people anyway? I know I didn't vote for them. Sounds like a dictatorship to me, and I don't remember getting any taters.

If that's the case there would never be any advancements in golf.

I would argue that the anchored stroke is not an advancement, it's a corruption.

Who are these USGA people anyway? I know I didn't vote for them. Sounds like a dictatorship to me, and I don't remember getting any taters.

Or di...wait. Nevermind

I would argue that the anchored stroke is not an advancement, it's a corruption.

A lot of people said the same thing about driver heads the size of babies. I have a friend who still won't use them! I offered to give him one and he declined!

So for those who are arguing the USGA is being ridiculous, is there any out-of-bounds as far as you're concerned? As long as it makes the game easier, it's fair game? What would be considered unchangeable by you?

I disagree. 80 years ago a man decided a way to putt that helped make putting easier and the game in general more fun. His new way to putt was within the rules and harmed nobody. It worked for some, didn't work for others, but was available for everyone to try so it wasn't an unfair advantage.

That to me, sounds exactly like the spirit of the game.

So for those who are arguing the USGA is being ridiculous, is there any out-of-bounds as far as you're concerned? As long as it makes the game easier, it's fair game? What would be considered unchangeable by you?

You have taken this to 11.

Corruptions harm. Who is harmed here? Nobody. The only thing that is harmed is the alleged sensibility of mostly old guys who have nothing better to worry about than this contrived problem (i.e., somehow the integrity of the game is not impacted by a host of technologies which literally are making courses obsolete - and along the way completely changing the way the game is played).

You have taken this to 11.

I'm serious. If anchoring a club to the body is OK, I'm not sure what would be considered off limits.

Back