Puma ZL Golf Shoes - Forum Testing Review

It has a little bit of a slick feeling, but IMO feels like a slick or polished plastic.

I've got a little dirt collected towards the heel of the shoe, but nothing a firm stomp on the ground wouldn't take out in one shot.

I'll have lots of thoughts on these in the next couple of days. I wore them Thursday, all day Friday for about 12-13 hours, and again for another 36 Saturday. Once I get a little decompressed from the Outing I'll get these thoughts up and broken down into a couple of different posts for the different days and also get some pictures as I actually did a fair amount of walking over the weekend.

Having also worn these all day Friday, 36 Saturday, and then all day Sunday including the drive home, I feel they've been pushed pretty hard.

I'll get a formal review up within the next couple days as well as I'll need to get some pictures up.

Ok so I'm going Get some thoughts on these up from the weekend. This won't be my full formal review but I have to say these are the most comfortable golf shoes I have wore. I wore these from about 845 am till around 730 pm Friday. That included the full day of demo day and then 18 holes after that. Through out demo day I hit everything from drivers to wedges so then seen the full treatment of shots. The ground on the range at Reunion is sort of a loose sandy top with a firm unlayment of soil. One thing I disliked about their range was the sand was dyed a sort of dark green color. So towards the end of the day the toe on my right shoe was turning green. Not a big deal to most, big deal to me. I don't want the leather turning a certain color over time. I'm sure with constant cleaning this won't be a big deal but the softness of the leather could lead to this being a small problem.

The comfort of these shoes is unrivaled. I have never wore a pair of golf shoes this comfortable and they seem to be getting more comfortable and more molded to my foot the more I wear them. The stability is unreal. I had some shots over the week where I was on a slope and never once felt like I couldn't take the swing I wanted or that my footing was going out. I also hit several from the sand in the fairway and again no footing issues ever. Walking around In these is bliss. So comfortable on my knees and my feet compared to my Nike Air Zooms. The difference is the spikes and the sole. The spikes and sole of the ZL is so soft compared. I also though worry about the issue this will cause in life. I haven't unpacked my golf bag yet, which I will do tonight and get some pics up. One thing I have noticed though is mine aren't showing near the creasing that others are seeing at the base of the laces. Mine are showing very little wear there. Mine have been wore for 108 holes now and about 500 range balls. Very little wear. I did walk a pretty fair amount during the weekend getting from place to place in them.

Overall A so far. I will probably be looking for the black pair at some point. I had very little foot fatigue over the course of the week which is rare for me. Hoping next week I will be able to get into my normal day off practice routine which is walking 18, couple hundred range balls and few hours of chipping and putting. That should really give them a good test against foot fatigue.

Last edited:
Noticed the same thing on mine Playdough. Also, the laces have a bit of tint to them now. I'm debating taking a shoe cleaner to them. Thoughts?

Noticed the same thing on mine Playdough. Also, the laces have a bit of tint to them now. I'm debating taking a shoe cleaner to them. Thoughts?
I think a good leather cleaner and stiff shoe cleaning brush will take care of the toe and the laces I would maybe just hand wash in some oxy clean or water with some soap and bleach.

Here's one more interesting thing I have noticed. On the foot bed of the shoe in the heal there is a little screen printed design. One my right shoes, its almost completely wore off. On my left shoes its fully intact. I'll have to see if that's still the case after the weekend.

Take the laces out, and toss them in the wash with your white clothes.

Playdough, one thing I did during the rounds and range at Reunion was wipe down my shoes throughout the day and rounds. Took a wet towel to them to keep them clean, and I didnt have a single issue.

Eh..I was to busy hitting irons to do that. In honesty, I didn't notice the stain on the toe till after demo day was over and figured that it had to be the green sand. Up here in Indiana that won't be an issue...but I'll keep an eye on it as I don't get up on my toe a lot.

Playdough, one thing I did during the rounds and range at Reunion was wipe down my shoes throughout the day and rounds. Took a wet towel to them to keep them clean, and I didnt have a single issue.

I kept doing the same after being in sand etc. Good call though about throwing them in the washing machine.

I kept doing the same after being in sand etc. Good call though about throwing them in the washing machine.
I didnt go in many traps, I hear they were brutal to get out of.

With all the plugged lies you had, you had to really dig down with your feet to get to ball level....:alien:

I can't wait for Nate to post a picture of that lie.

They did hold up better than the bunker facing did

So after a good couple of weeks with these, I can finally get some in depth thoughts down on paper (or screen, whatever). I was hesitant to put any in depth details up quickly, as after all, they were a brand new pair of shoes and they do require a bit of a break in period. So, here goes;

I got the Puma ZL shoes, and visually they are quite attractive. A classic look to them with a bit of that Puma flare we all know is thrown in there too. At first, it really appeared to have an elongated toe box on them, but as time has gone by I have adjusted to the look and now they look quite normal to me (no more feeling like I am wearing clown shoes).

Cleaning - I have a good bit of white shoes, and one of my biggest pet peeves is them getting dirty quite quickly. I often wipe my white shoes down during a round to keep them clean, that way dirt or other junk does not get "baked" on in the Florida sun. I have found with these that a wet towel wipe down mid round or just right after the round is key, and will keep them looking good. Dirt and debris does not seem to attract to these like other shoes I have (Adidas ATV Tour 360), and that is pleasing to know. Nothing worse than having to sit there and smack them on the ground after a round to get the grass out of the spikes. More often than not, once I get to the car to take them off, they have no golf course remnants on the bottom of them. I like that.

Comfort - Initially, I wasnt a big fan of the comfort that these provided. They felt stiff and flat. I attribute that to them being brand new out of the box. Now that they have worn in a good bit, I have to say that these are some of the most comfortable golf shoes I own. I tend to walk on the insides of my feet a good bit, and that often leads to golf shoes causing a bit of pain and the spike locations and where the weight distribution of my foot is dont agree with each other. The spacing of the spikes here is perfect, not too centered or spread apart. A nice even step is had, and I really like that even when walking on concrete the spikes arent noticeable during my step. I have large arches on my feet, and often times I had to get supports or insoles in my shoes to help to prevent foot pain, now that these are broken in, I have not had the need to go and buy insoles.

Wear and Tear - The only two areas where I notice wear and tear are on the front part of the shoe where the toe crease is (obviously), but really it's noting more than any other shoe would have made out of the same material. The second area is on the back heel area. It's a different texture than the rest of the shoe, not quite sure what it is, but it seems to wear quicker and get dirty a bit faster than the rest of the shoe. I guess I would label it as a synthetic cloth material, but a quick wipe with a magic eraser and it looks brand new again.

Style - Obviously, a white shoe can go with just about anything. With the solid white mixed in with the black and orange accents, I have found that I can wear just about anything I have in my closet with these and it will match well. The orange is not over stated in these, as it just adds just enough accent that it pops quite well and while it's noticeable, it isnt "loud" like some of the other Puma offerings. The larger black and white accents really mute the Orange, and allow these shoes to be paired with practically any outfit you decide to wear on the course. While I am not much of a wearer of Pants while I golf, I did tell Playdough that they looked absolutely awesome paired with a pair of white pants he was wearing down in Orlando. When that one time a year comes around that I have to wear pants on the course, rest assured that these will be my shoe of choice.

Overall - This is my first pair of Puma golf shoes. I have a few pair of other Puma kicks that I really like, but this is my first venture in to Puma Golf shoe waters. I have to say that I am really impressed, and honestly, I wasnt sure what to expect when these showed up. I have been a long Nike golf shoe homer (still am, too), but the ZL shoes have me quite interested in trying on other Puma shoes in the future. Having no foot fatigue after playing 18 holes is quite nice, and I have not had an issue with a "hot spot" on my foot from where uneven pressure would cause pain to be. Add in that they dont attract and hold debris on the bottom, they are easy to clean, and they are quite stylish, and I think Puma has a winner on their hands with the ZLs.

Solid review War. My 10th round will be tomorrow, so tomorrow it'll be up with a little before and after looks and how well they old up, clean up, etc

Solid review War. My 10th round will be tomorrow, so tomorrow it'll be up with a little before and after looks and how well they old up, clean up, etc

Any update?

Good stuff War!

Forum testing date: May 17-19th, May 24th.

After now 10 rounds of golf under my belt with these shoes, I've had plenty of time to feel how they wear, comfort level, as well as any pros and cons with these shoes. The good news with these shoes, is they're one of, if not the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I've ever worn. Other than a little normal fatigue from long days like 8 hours on a driving range, or 36 holes 2 days in a row, my feet feel just fine with no hot spot or blisters. In that sense, I'm incredibly happy with them.

The cons though have a lot to do with the wear on these shoes. 10 rounds I do expect some wear, but some of the wear that I see really has come within the first 4-5 rounds. The right shoe (on the left) has gotten a lot more than I expected.

img0956gf.jpg

img0955pt.jpg

As far as staying clean though, for a mostly white shoe, they're holding up pretty well considering I've been in slightly softer and wet conditions. The right toe has gotten a little bit dirty, but I have a feeling a magic eraser is going to be able to take care of that. The "dirtiest" part of the shoe is the heel of the shoe. The different material is making it tough to just simply brush it off with a wet towel. Other than that, the dirt seems like it's mostly surface and something that can easily be cleaned up with something as simple as a warm wash cloth.

img0960mq.jpg

Spike wear and bottom of the shoe is holding up just fine. I've unfortunately had to walk across a bit more pavement than I would have liked, but there's not that much show of excess wear. They're a little dirtier than I thought, but I attribute that more to standing on divot fill dirt during the THP Outing. I might try and clean that up a bit when I give the shoe a bit of cleaning to see how they clean back up. I would be curious though if a different spike would make the shoe even more comfortable without sacrificing stability and traction.

img0957fq.jpg

I'll give them a bath so to speak, and put something in writing after the long weekend.

Wow, Wardy, that right shoe has taken a beating.

Good review dude.

Wow, Wardy, that right shoe has taken a beating.

Good review dude.

I didn't think it was that bad until I saw it in photos. You'd think I was doing sprints with the right shoe with the amount of bend it's received. I'll be throwing some tree shoes into them to try and see if it fixes some of it and cleans up any dirt that could get in those creases.

Nice review Wardy! Interesting to see how the right shoe cleans up. Any permanent scuffing seen thus far?

Nice review Wardy! Interesting to see how the right shoe cleans up. Any permanent scuffing seen thus far?

None yet, which is good. They're just a little dirty. Bottom of the spikes are all there and really don't look that chewed up considering I wore them and walked around Reunion's villa parking lot a lot on Sunday.

Back