New driver day - thanks for the help, THP!

92Esquire

Reaction score
Handicap
6.02*10^23
My local Edwin Watts is having a "tent sale" this weekend, and pretty much everything in the joint is on sale. CG-14 wedges are marked down to $79, used clubs are cut way back, etc.

I haven't talked much about it, but for the past few weeks I've left the driver in the bag. My Nike SQ 460 just gets me into too darned much trouble. I don't know if this makes any sense, but the club feels to light, and I come across the ball with the face very open, which sends everything right. Until I aim way left, then I hook it. I've been hitting my Cleveland Launcher 3w off the tee and doing pretty well, but there are a couple of longer holes where a driver would certainly be beneficial.

Last weekend the launch monitor was open, so I hit a few balls with two different drivers - an Adams Speedline and a Cleveland Launcher. The Speedline was impossible for me to control. All over the freakin' place. But the Cleveland was solid, and right down the middle.

So today SWMBO allowed me to head in, and gave me instructions to buy whatever my little heart desired that was on sale, as long as it wasn't adjustable (more on that later). I went in and talked to my normal pusher, who has refused to sell me drivers in the past.

We talked over what I was seeing with my Nike, and I asked him what he'd suggest. He suggested the Cleveland Launcher, HiBore Draw, Ping G15, Nike Str-8 fit. I asked him about he MX-700, remembering THP's driver review, so he grabbed that in an odd combo for me - a 9 1/2 stiff. (I currently play a 10 1/2 stiff in the Nike, but didn't think I could elevate a 9 1/2)

We started with the standard G15. I was more right-biased than Sean Hannity. The Vector monitor showed that I was leaving my fairway about 150 yards out and heading for Kentucky. The G15 was long, but not even close to in play. The G15 draw got me to leave my fairway at about 175 yards, but it was still way out. He set up the Str-8 fit (stiff shaft) for the most draw bias, and even that was off to the right. By this time I was really getting frustrated, but trying to relax. It was not working well.

Then he hands me the Nike Str-8 fit in a regular shaft. That was in the fairway every time, but had a wierd high trajectory and about 190 yards distance. Every time. I think the farthest I hit it was about 205 (per the monitor). However, both SWMBO and I are very concerned that an adjustable driver will cause me to mess with it too much, and I'll be playing with my driver rather than playing golf. Str-8 fit out.

Then came the Cleveland again - and although it had a right bias, I was still in play at about 220. And pretty consistently. I figured this was my driver.

Then he hands me the MX700. And after three swings, he tells me that not one has left the fairway, and each one has been over 240. I hit some more, and it was right biased but very consistently between 245 and 260. Ball spin was around 3000, and I think my launch angle was about 14*.

So I have the MX700. I'm heading to the range in about 30 minutes, and I can't wait to see what it will do. I know a certain long par 4 I have a score to settle up with...

Thanks for reminding me about the MX-700, THP!

Best of luck with the new stick! It always feels good to have a new club in the bag.

The MX-700 is very similar to a few others that we have reviewed this year in that if HIGH AND STRAIGHT is what you want, these things are perfect. The Cleveland Monster is another like it. The Mizuno MX-700 is the first Mizuno driver I have ever thought was at this level. None were bad clubs mind you, but this is a top tier driver especially for the game improvement segment. It is a low spin high launch driver that can make the game fun for a whole lot of people.

So glad you hit it well 92, keep us updated. One little tip with this one is NEVER over swing with this driver. THe shaft and head combo will do the work for you.

Congrats on the new driver, 92. Let us know how it goes after you're done hitting the range rocks around as well!

Post-driving range report:

Adjectives:
Amazing, awesome, incredible, beastly, youge (that's pronounced yow-j), long, straight, forgiving.

This club is very, very cool. I'm still going to work on consistency for a while, but this club appears to have brought my normal shots from slightly right, more right, and hard right, to slightly left, centered, and slightly right. In addition, I found myself hitting the net at the end of the range a couple times. That net is about 10 yards behind the 245 flagstick.

It's a driver to make ya :banana:

92E

I may have to go swing one of these and check it out. Thanks for the review.:clapp:

Post-driving range report:

Adjectives:
Amazing, awesome, incredible, beastly, youge (that's pronounced yow-j), long, straight, forgiving.

This club is very, very cool. I'm still going to work on consistency for a while, but this club appears to have brought my normal shots from slightly right, more right, and hard right, to slightly left, centered, and slightly right. In addition, I found myself hitting the net at the end of the range a couple times. That net is about 10 yards behind the 245 flagstick.

It's a driver to make ya :banana:

92E

Does this driver have a draw bias?

Does this driver have a draw bias?

Not according to anything I've read about it. I don't think it sets up looking like a tour driver, but it's not a "draw" version.

I have the Taylor made R7 draw driver,
how does the R7 compare to the mx700?

They are completely different drivers in just about every way.

ah yes...

well, i have found that my R7 doesnt hit as far as i hit some other drivers,
so i would consider trading it for another that is longer hitting but doesnt comprimise on forgiveness.

:D

I have had the MX700 for just under a year now and don't know how I played without it. Actually I hardly ever used my old driver. I used my 3 wood instead.

Back