Americans, the worst spectators ?

Football fans in general are some of the most filthy people in the world.

Wow! This thread has certainly taken a turn!!!

I think it's unfair to say its only Americans who shout silly crap but it does seem that only Americans shout "get in the hole" on a par 5 which is annoying. At the RC I can only remember a few shouts of get in the hole whilst watching it back on tv it was every shot. I know Europeans don't like some of the shouts whilst it may not bother Americans so possibly the European production teams mute what's euro fans shout on the Euro tour? Just a theory!
I think it's also unfair to say that european football fans are bad, whilst there are a few who spoil it for everyone you need to remember that football is everything to people apart from in America so we know the American public will not understand our passion. You support one team in football and if you lose then you are unhappy while at golf you like a particular player but are not mad if they lose. Whilst there is violence and horrible chanting at some football games from a minority there will not be an atmosphere close to it in any American sport and that is a fact. My cousin from the US is over visiting with her boyfriend and they went to the Scottish Cup final on Sunday and said they had never experienced an atmosphere or intensity like this before with all the singing, chanting and goal celebrating. I'm not making an excuse for some of the stupidity but the atmosphere etc outweighs this by miles and if you go to a game you can see why it is heated.

There are idiots everywhere in every sport just like in every day walk of life but try not let the idiots spoil it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Until you've been to an Iron Bowl (college football rivalry) I'm not sure you can make those remarks.

There was a video made a few years ago by a Brit tv show host who came to a game at Auburn, he said it was unlike anything you've ever seen. I'm sure the intensity is extremely high at both, but in different ways. I still don't think intensity makes up for he killing of dozens like seems to happen at soccer games.

I'm wondering if it's time to close this thread, before it gets too ugly???

I think it's unfair to say its only Americans who shout silly crap but it does seem that only Americans shout "get in the hole" on a par 5 which is annoying. At the RC I can only remember a few shouts of get in the hole whilst watching it back on tv it was every shot. I know Europeans don't like some of the shouts whilst it may not bother Americans so possibly the European production teams mute what's euro fans shout on the Euro tour? Just a theory!
I think it's also unfair to say that european football fans are bad, whilst there are a few who spoil it for everyone you need to remember that football is everything to people apart from in America so we know the American public will not understand our passion. You support one team in football and if you lose then you are unhappy while at golf you like a particular player but are not mad if they lose. Whilst there is violence and horrible chanting at some football games from a minority there will not be an atmosphere close to it in any American sport and that is a fact. My cousin from the US is over visiting with her boyfriend and they went to the Scottish Cup final on Sunday and said they had never experienced an atmosphere or intensity like this before with all the singing, chanting and goal celebrating. I'm not making an excuse for some of the stupidity but the atmosphere etc outweighs this by miles and if you go to a game you can see why it is heated.

There are idiots everywhere in every sport just like in every day walk of life but try not let the idiots spoil it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In a way you are justifying the bad stuff due to passion and heated atmosphere and that doesn't make it any better. I've been to American sporting events my hole life and let me tell you, when the team your passionate about is in a play-off/post season environment it can often be the most mesmerizing, exited, haunting, and overwhelming atmosphere you've ever witnessed. Even regular season games too especially ones with significant value can be just as energy emotion filled also. And when you route for a team and they lose and its your life's passion it hurts for quite some time afterwards. So its not by any means only attached to your country sport team.

Go watch your life long favorite NFL team in the post season at the home stadium. The noise level, the chanting, the feeling of emotion can all be extremely high. People who never experienced it are quite overwhelmed by it. Ever been to a Stanley cup of your favorite team at home? You wouldn't believe the fast paced, nail biting, edge of your seat, emotional roller coaster that is. How about a world series in bottom 9th with 2 outs and two strikes where every pitch is filled with suspense and an eerie kind of spooky, overwhelming crowd hum that is mesmerizing. So its not at all only your football that comes with this passion and heated atmosphere or built in excuse. Either way none of the bad behavior is acceptable and none of this is ever an excuse. People are idiots and there are too many of them around and it spoils so many good things for most of the rest of the population.

People who go to golf matches and yell things need to be ejected. Period!

About 20 years ago I was at the Western Open in Cog Hill. Nick Price was putting. While in his backswing, and old man who was sitting almost on the fringe yells out, "Oh F***" he was eating ice cream and broke a tooth. Price shanked the putt, badly and wound up 3 putting. Afterward he came up to the rude old man and told him off. The old man should have been ejected.

When people yell at a golf match it ruins the viewing experience for me regardless if I am there live or watching on TV.

As for Americans being ruder, we probably are:banghead:, however, there are a lot more of us.:bicker:

In a way you are justifying the bad stuff due to passion and heated atmosphere and that doesn't make it any better. I've been to American sporting events my hole life and let me tell you, when the team your passionate about is in a play-off/post season environment it can often be the most mesmerizing, exited, haunting, and overwhelming atmosphere you've ever witnessed. Even regular season games too especially ones with significant value can be just as energy emotion filled also. And when you route for a team and they lose and its your life's passion it hurts for quite some time afterwards. So its not by any means only attached to your country sport team.

Go watch your life long favorite NFL team in the post season at the home stadium. The noise level, the chanting, the feeling of emotion can all be extremely high. People who never experienced it are quite overwhelmed by it. Ever been to a Stanley cup of your favorite team at home? You wouldn't believe the fast paced, nail biting, edge of your seat, emotional roller coaster that is. How about a world series in bottom 9th with 2 outs and two strikes where every pitch is filled with suspense and an eerie kind of spooky, overwhelming crowd hum that is mesmerizing. So its not at all only your football that comes with this passion and heated atmosphere or built in excuse. Either way none of the bad behavior is acceptable and none of this is ever an excuse. People are idiots and there are too many of them around and it spoils so many good things for most of the rest of the population.

Hi guys, Ireland are playing England in soccer tomorrow for the first time since the last match was abandoned 18 years ago for rioting DURING the match. Thats ott support (or more hooliganism) and hopefully tomorrow will pass peacefully. American fans are clearly worse but then at the end of the day, if the people who have to actually worry about being put off (the players) really take up issue, then stricter sanctions will be imposed. That would in time stop the noise/shouting but who can say it wasn't cool to see the likes of Poulter & Bubba whipping up the crowd at the last RC, Or people chanting Luuuuke or Booooo for Mr. Weekly? Or the mayhem of TPC San Antonio's 16th. In small doses its ok but then how can youdraw the line? Its really an all or nothing approach, and nothing might drive away (particularly U.S.) fans which is really lose-lose at the end of the day. But yes, imo americans are the worst, I wonder would the heckling K.Na got last year occur anywhere else in the world as well?

People who go to golf matches and yell things need to be ejected. Period!

About 20 years ago I was at the Western Open in Cog Hill. Nick Price was putting. While in his backswing, and old man who was sitting almost on the fringe yells out, "Oh F***" he was eating ice cream and broke a tooth. Price shanked the putt, badly and wound up 3 putting. Afterward he came up to the rude old man and told him off. The old man should have been ejected.

When people yell at a golf match it ruins the viewing experience for me regardless if I am there live or watching on TV.

As for Americans being ruder, we probably are:banghead:, however, there are a lot more of us.:bicker:

Agree 100%, if anyone does anything to knowingly put a player off the out he/she goes but how is it deemed deliberate? It's just too hard to police unless it's clearly malicious (coughs, sneezes, tourettes etc). Big can of...

Golf is not football/soccer. Football players expect and enjoy a loud and sometimes hostile crowd. I played pro and minor league football and loved playing on the road at a rivals stadium. The fans screaming and swearing at us was motivating. "F*** you #3" tuned me on like I cannot even put into words. (My number was 3)

G O L F is not football/soccer! Manners please! There is just no place for yelling "You da man!, Lasnga, Get in the hole!" Start kicking these idiots out.

Hi guys, Ireland are playing England in soccer tomorrow for the first time since the last match was abandoned 18 years ago for rioting DURING the match. Thats ott support (or more hooliganism) and hopefully tomorrow will pass peacefully. American fans are clearly worse but then at the end of the day, if the people who have to actually worry about being put off (the players) really take up issue, then stricter sanctions will be imposed. That would in time stop the noise/shouting but who can say it wasn't cool to see the likes of Poulter & Bubba whipping up the crowd at the last RC, Or people chanting Luuuuke or Booooo for Mr. Weekly? Or the mayhem of TPC San Antonio's 16th. In small doses its ok but then how can youdraw the line? Its really an all or nothing approach, and nothing might drive away (particularly U.S.) fans which is really lose-lose at the end of the day. But yes, imo americans are the worst, I wonder would the heckling K.Na got last year occur anywhere else in the world as well?

Golf is not football/soccer. Football players expect and enjoy a loud and sometimes hostile crowd. I played pro and minor league football and loved playing on the road at a rivals stadium. The fans screaming and swearing at us was motivating. "F*** you #3" tuned me on like I cannot even put into words. (My number was 3)

G O L F is not football/soccer! Manners please! There is just no place for yelling "You da man!, Lasnga, Get in the hole!" Start kicking these idiots out.

Only made the comparison in reply to post #82. Is there no swearing in other sports in the U.S.? Apart from the first 2 sentences my point remains. And ya nothing better than playing an away game and shutting up the noisy crowd. (Btw I play/ed rugby to quite a high standard, and my no is 2 :beat-up:)

When you are # 2 you try harder :bashful:

Only made the comparison in reply to post #82. Is there no swearing in other sports in the U.S.? Apart from the first 2 sentences my point remains. And ya nothing better than playing an away game and shutting up the noisy crowd. (Btw I play/ed rugby to quite a high standard, and my no is 2 :beat-up:)

I swear I think the ( "get in the hole" ) thing is the same guy at every hole and every single event lol..

Its funny how that annoys so many people. But at least its not rude, or disrespectful. I actually get a kick out of it. Sometimes wait to here the famous words just to see exactly when and how its going to sound just for kicks. Its funny to me sometimes when a player barely made putter/ball contact yet and you hear the guy like he lived to time it so perfectly. I find it amusing.

But if you think about it, what else is there to really yell out if someone wants to cheer for a player on a putt? what is someone suppose to say other then "get in the hole" when a favorite player putts or whatever? I don't know. Perhaps - "way to go"? or "nice swing"? or "good hit"? or 'nice shot"? like as if he's at our local muni in a foursome of weekend hackers giving each other praise like we do? I just don't know.

I played pro and minor league football and loved playing on the road at a rivals stadium. The fans screaming and swearing at us was motivating. "F*** you #3" tuned me on like I cannot even put into words.

And ya nothing better than playing an away game and shutting up the noisy crowd.

and on another note: this is exactly why I'd love to see the super bowl played at the home stadium of the team with the best record. IMO it would be better for both teams vs palying on neutral ground.

I'm sick to bloddy death of American yobs at golf tournaments yelling out ridiculous **** ! Watching the final round of the crowne plaza and I heard things like "MEATLOAF", "LASAGNE" etc etc yelled out almost at the same time as a player hit the ball. What's the point, I know Americans are all desperate for their 15seconds of fame, or may e its the love affair with food but this is ridiculous and brings the game down to a low level.
I know it may seem like an attack on Americans but I'm pointing out what a lot of people think/know.

I kept my mouth shut for a while on this thread because it really annoyed me and to be frank, I'm new here. However, just the fact that you posted this on the most important holiday in America makes you sound more ignorant to me. There is a time and a place for discussions like this and Memorial Day wasn't it. As a Veteran you pissed me off. As a dude, I see where you are coming from but you didn't choose your words very wisely and your timing was off.

Until you've been to an Iron Bowl (college football rivalry) I'm not sure you can make those remarks.

I'm not going to get involved in this thread other than to reiterate Wakes point here. The Iron Bowl (Auburn vs Alabama football game) every year is one the most intense few hours you can possibly imagine. The passion for one team and in most cases hate for the other makes this one of the loudest most obnoxious sporting events imaginable. In 2010, which was my freshman year at Auburn, we came back from an over three touchdown deficit in the second half to win the game and later that season the national championship. After the game Alabama fans were literally running out of the stadium due to the turn of events, while every Auburn fan in attendance stayed around to chant and celebrate. Anyways, sorry for going off topic but American football definitely has its share of passion and intense spectators.

Not sure how even a pro could be angry if someone blurted something out having broken a tooth.

Personally, I think along with players like Tiger and Rory, the American crowds have been a big part of re-energizing the game of golf. They've made the game exciting again. The Masters has always been a big deal, but now it's off the charts. The Players is huge. The US Open is second only to the Masters (to most people). It's the incredible buzz and the roar of the crowds which has allowed these events to grow into events so large that even non-golfers watch them (or at least some).

Now, are there jerks who say stupid things? Yes. Has the partisanship gotten too high at times at the Ryder Cup? Yes. Should the 16th hole at Waste Management become a model for other tournaments? Of course not.

But all in all, golf is better off because of the livelier crowds.

I'm kind of on the fence. Some of the things yelled I find pretty funny. The other over done stuff I find pretty lame and unoriginal. The only real strong opinion I have on the whole issue is this: European Tour golf is BOOORRRRRIIIIINNNGGG. I'm sorry to the lads across the pond but it just is. I'm sure the fans are great in their own way and very knowledgeable about the sport but good lord that's some hard to watch TV! I mean don't get me wrong, I LOVE watching golf but the coverage of the Euro Tour is so dull and drab it literally puts me to sleep. No exaggeration ....I actually fall asleep when I watch it. Every time without fail. I watched the BMW over the weekend which I understand is their flagship event, sorta like the Players is here, and it was so nice to actually see some people at an event for once. The crazy thing is though, even with all those people there it still just seemed dead. No real excitement. I dunno, If I have to put up with some idiots in exchange for some passion and excitement I can certainly live with that.

The Iron Bowl is nowhere near the intensity of an Old Firm game, Liverpool v Man Utd, River Plate v Boca Jnrs or the Rome Derby and I've not even been to an Iron Bowl to know this. Watch your videos on youtube for any of these games and that will give you an idea of the intensity and nothing rivals it trust me. Your hatred towards the other team is down to where you stay which is the most part of rivalry in most sports however an Old Firm game is down to religion and a Utd Liverpool game is filled with the hatred and chanting about each others disasters which the clubs have been through. It is wrong, disgusting and totally unacceptable but it has gone on for years but thats why it is so much more intense and the added fact that most american sports the season runs for so long with so many games then it becomes a bit boring.
My brother lives in TN and has done for 10 years no, he loves Auburn and college football and I asked him about the intensity and he said nothing matches our football.

I actually find it amusing how some golf fans find watching golf without sensationalism boring.

I actually find it amusing how some golf fans find watching golf without sensationalism boring.

I myself just find watching golf with zero enthusiasm in the atmosphere boring. I don't need sensationalism, just a pulse in the event. Just because it's golf it doesn't have to be dull.

I kept my mouth shut for a while on this thread because it really annoyed me and to be frank, I'm new here. However, just the fact that you posted this on the most important holiday in America makes you sound more ignorant to me. There is a time and a place for discussions like this and Memorial Day wasn't it. As a Veteran you pissed me off. As a dude, I see where you are coming from but you didn't choose your words very wisely and your timing was off.

Mate, I didn't realise it was an American holiday and for that I apologise. Like I've said already it was a generalisation but at the time of writing I was watching highlights and was mad as hell. Sure I should have stopped and thought about what I was writing but I didn't. To any and all vets or families of vets I say thanks for a great job, god or whoever's in charge knows I could never and would never go to war.

You yanks are generally more uninhibited and outgoing than most (northern) Europeans in my experience. The operative word here being "generally", as labelling a population of 300+ million in general terms is, at best, folly.

Reckon it's as useful as trying to pigeonhole the Danes or the Brits with say the Italians or the Greeks, it's just meaningless.

Sure the "GET IN THE HOLE!!" has gotten a bit stale over the years, but personally I find it amusing. Kind of takes the edge off an otherwise very serious sport.

bla, bla, bla .... well just my 2c anyways.

Mate, I didn't realise it was an American holiday and for that I apologise. Like I've said already it was a generalisation but at the time of writing I was watching highlights and was mad as hell. Sure I should have stopped and thought about what I was writing but I didn't. To any and all vets or families of vets I say thanks for a great job, god or whoever's in charge knows I could never and would never go to war.

Thanks for those words man and there are certainly no hard feelings. Just had to get that off my chest.

Back