Relocating to the USA - CA v NJ?

David81

Reaction score
My wife and I have talked about relocating to the USA for a while now, we always enjoy visiting on vacation - particularly California and some of the Southern States on the East Coast. It seems now there might be a possibility of it happening with possible opportunities in CA and NJ. CA has always seemed great - great weather, scenery etc. but digging a little deeper it seems that the cost of living there is horrendously high. From what I gather, if someone wanted to live in a nice family home, near enough to the San Jose area and have a decent standard of living, you'd need to be pulling in $200K to be anyway comfortable? Does this seem reasonable to folks living there?

I've visited NJ before on business and from what I remember, whilst the cost of living is alot lower, but perhaps the climate/scenery might be quite not as appealing (we're trying to escape from the rain!) - or am I doing it a disservice?

Thoughts, guidance and advice very much appreciated.

Both areas have their plusses and minuses.
One will offer better weather but the price to live there can be tolling. Taxes are ridiculously high.
The other is an interesting place. Also taxed higher than other areas, but completely the opposite of CA.

Not sure if those are your only two options, but the country does have wonderful places throughout.

If I am not mistaken, NJ has the highest property tax and tax rates in the country. It ridiculously expensive to live her. There are some really beautiful areas on NJ (contrary to what other people here are going to tell you). If you have any questions, let me know. I have lived here my whole life.

Completely depends on where you live in NJ.

Like Ricky, I've lived in NJ my whole life, so feel free to ask any NJ-specific questions.

Thanks for the replies folks. The NJ opportunity is in Jersey City - is it feasible to live in a good area within 40 mins commute?

In theory I'm open to any location, but in practice, the main concentration of employment opportunities for me are in San Jose ... although Seattle and possibly Atlanta and the D.C. area might also be options.

Thanks for the replies folks. The NJ opportunity is in Jersey City - is it feasible to live in a good area within 40 mins commute?

In theory I'm open to any location, but in practice, the main concentration of employment opportunities for me are in San Jose ... although Seattle and possibly Atlanta and the D.C. area might also be options.

It depends what type of area you want to live in - if you are looking for a fun/young mini-city with lots of great places to eat and drink then Hoboken would be your best bet, which is only about minutes away. There even some parts of Jersey City that are really nice to live in.

If you are looking for a house/yard, then there are definitely options that are within 40 minutes - just depends on what your price range is and what type of community you are looking for.

There are some great places to live near SJ the cost of living is high but you have a very high Quality of life there is a ton of stuff to do in the area and you can't beat the weather. The state goverment is way messed up but property taxes are fairly low but the rest of the taxes are high

If you are trying to escape the rain Seattle is not a good idea

Plus In CA we have no golf season I play all year

It depends what type of area you want to live in - if you are looking for a fun/young mini-city with lots of great places to eat and drink then Hoboken would be your best bet, which is only about minutes away. There even some parts of Jersey City that are really nice to live in.

If you are looking for a house/yard, then there are definitely options that are within 40 minutes - just depends on what your price range is and what type of community you are looking for.

Definitely in the house/yard stage of life now. I stayed in Hoboken a couple of times before around 10 years ago on a business trip, used to get the ferry over to Manhattan for some evening entertainment ... those were the days.

We'd be looking to live somewhere with a bit of life - a good variety of stores/restaurants. My wife will be looking after our infant son, so it's important that she isn't isolated. In terms of price range, haven't worked it all out yet, but we'll be renting initially, I'd imagine we'd be looking at $2.5-3.5K/month or something like that?

I live in San Jose and you don't need to be pulling in 200k. My answer would definitely be California, the best state hands down! (IMO)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Tough choices David. I grew up in PA, now live in NJ, work for a company based in Cupertino, CA.

Both areas are among the most expensive in the USA and the most expensive in the two states.

There are a lot of similarities. Both areas are about as metropolitan as you'll find. Both are expensive, both have awful traffic.

NJ has the history and Euro connection, but CA has the geography and outdoor lifestyle over NJ. Weather in NJ is milder than its reputation, but San Jose is better.

In terms of expense, it may be close to a wash I think. San Jose area is very expensive. There are nice, more affordable areas within an hour, such as Morgan Hill, but a lot depends on your lifestyle choices. Jersey City and the surrounding towns such as Hoboken have developed very well recently and ate very nice. The immediate areas around it are very congested though and getting around can be challenging. NJ is the most densely populated state and the NE corner near NYC is the poster child for it.

Economic comparisons are interesting. Both states have enormous drains on their budgets. However, the Jersey City area is part if the NYC economic region and therefore will fare better than the rest of NJ, otherwise NJ's middle class is in decline at the moment with a high emigration rate, higher than other states in the area.

Like I said though, JC is part of NYC metro and to some degree will always be one of the economic centers of the world.

San Jose is in the heart of Silicon Valley, another area that should always have a bright future, though the tech industry overall is mature and in decline.

So is say it comes down to two simple things....lifestyle and economic affinity. If you're in the financial industry JC makes sense. Btw, JC is a short and pleasant ferry ride to Manhattan.. If you're closer to tech, San Jose.

Next is lifestyle. San Jose is within driving distance if done of the world's most beautiful natural areas...the redwoods, the Rockies, the desert, pebble beach/Monterey. The weather there provides more sun and warmth, though the difference is probably less than you'd think depending on area. The Bay Area can be downright cold much of the year.

Geography...if you prefer greenery and quiet ponds, beaches at which you can actually swim in the ocean, NJ wins.

For skiing, hiking, scenery, little less congestion, driving access to natural wonders and outdoor lifestyle, CA wins.

Definitely in the house/yard stage of life now. I stayed in Hoboken a couple of times before around 10 years ago on a business trip, used to get the ferry over to Manhattan for some evening entertainment ... those were the days.

We'd be looking to live somewhere with a bit of life - a good variety of stores/restaurants. My wife will be looking after our infant son, so it's important that she isn't isolated. In terms of price range, haven't worked it all out yet, but we'll be renting initially, I'd imagine we'd be looking at $2.5-3.5K/month or something like that?

You'll find plenty in that price range within 40 minutes of jersey city!

No chance of moving to a free state?

I live in a free state now, unfortunately it's full of freeloaders!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

They are both politically liberal, high taxes, somewhat expensive states to live in. The biggest differences are weather and time zones. If you like having 4 seasons or living in the EST zone go with NJ. If you like sunshine almost all year round or living in the PST go with CA. I grew up in So Cal and lived in the Bay Area for 3 years. I think it is an easy choice, but I am biased about being on the west coast.

Having moved from the UK to the Monterey Bay area 3 months ago, I gotta say the California lifestyle takes some beating. It is horrendously expensive, house prices, especially around the coast are high. That said, you could easily survive without bringing $200k a year into the household.

It's tough here in California. It's not cheap to live here but I don't know any other way.
I'll trade spots with you as long as you're coming from the UK! haha

That said, you could easily survive without bringing $200k a year into the household.

Just say you're waiting for tickets to something, or that you're "Occupying" whatever city you're in and they'll leave you alone.

q9gmj.jpg

It's all about the commute, really. You can live a whole cheaper in the San Jose area if you live 30 minutes east of San Jose. Sure, that sounds like a long ways, but in most cities nowadays, it takes 30 minutes to get anywhere.

So is say it comes down to two simple things....lifestyle and economic affinity. If you're in the financial industry JC makes sense. Btw, JC is a short and pleasant ferry ride to Manhattan.. If you're closer to tech, San Jose.

Next is lifestyle. San Jose is within driving distance if done of the world's most beautiful natural areas...the redwoods, the Rockies, the desert, pebble beach/Monterey. The weather there provides more sun and warmth, though the difference is probably less than you'd think depending on area. The Bay Area can be downright cold much of the year.

Geography...if you prefer greenery and quiet ponds, beaches at which you can actually swim in the ocean, NJ wins.

For skiing, hiking, scenery, little less congestion, driving access to natural wonders and outdoor lifestyle, CA wins.

Thanks for your comprehensive reply Speedliner, I think you've hit the nail on the head here ... I think the answer to these questions for me is CA.

Having moved from the UK to the Monterey Bay area 3 months ago, I gotta say the California lifestyle takes some beating. It is horrendously expensive, house prices, especially around the coast are high. That said, you could easily survive without bringing $200k a year into the household.

I think this is nub of the issue ... I need to figure out what top line figure I need to do more than survive.

Thanks for all the replies folks - much appreciated. :bashful:

Back