So im a highish handicapper that played blades for the first time today.

Yes, obviously that's what I was talking about. I don't know about most amatuers, but I'm an amateur and I'm very concerned about shot shape. I need to know 2 things - where is the ball going (including the shape) if I hit it well and where is it likely to go if I don't. As a golfer at any level if you can answer those questions with reasonable certainty you're going to be in pretty good shape.

I mean fades and draws. I don't believe amateurs need to worry about hitting draws and fades. Just hit the same shape over and over.

I mean fades and draws. I don't believe amateurs need to worry about hitting draws and fades. Just hit the same shape over and over.

Definitely this! I am not near good enough to worry about shot shape. If I think I need to play a draw I will likely play a sweet hook into the trees. If I focus on just hitting straight, results will be much better. The more amateurs have to think about, the worse it gets in my opinion.

I think maybe you missed part of my point. I was referring to the feedback from blades vs CBs. When I make a slice/fade or hook/draw swing with a blade I'll generally get that shot shape easier which tells me something important when I'm practicing especially if I'm not trying to produce that shot. Personally, I like the fact that the MB's are responsive, but others may not. Just a preference.

I think maybe you missed part of my point. I was referring to the feedback from blades vs CBs. When I make a slice/fade or hook/draw swing with a blade I'll generally get that shot shape easier which tells me something important when I'm practicing especially if I'm not trying to produce that shot. Personally, I like the fact that the MB's are responsive, but others may not. Just a preference.

Most amateurs don't need or have any business worrying about that responsiveness.

Here is where my thoughts differ. Shot shaping and feedback is a wonderful thing if that is what your goal is. However they are not exclusive to a muscle back iron.

Most amateurs don't need or have any business worrying about that responsiveness.

"Most" is the wrong word. And they should if they want to understand what in their swing produces those results.

"Most" is the wrong word. And they should if they want to understand what in their swing produces those results.

I stand by my statement. Until an amateur and groove a semi repeatable swing, they have no business learning to work the ball the other direction.

Here is where my thoughts differ. Shot shaping and feedback is a wonderful thing if that is what your goal is. However they are not exclusive to a muscle back iron.

I'm not sure we're saying anthing different. I haven't said feedback is exclusive to MBs - in fact I think it varies by club #, club type, etc etc. Different clubs are going to provide different levels of feedback. LOTS of great players play CBs - all levels and types of CB. There is nothing at all wrong with that. The object is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. Do whatever works.

I guess where I do take a little issue are with the camps that say:
1) Only scratch players should play MBs and anyone else who does has no business doing it and they're trying to impress other golfers. That's non-sense. I have no doubt that the "impress the foursome" crowd exists but with that arguement you have to include having a staff bag with your name on it, dressing like Ricky Fowler, using Pro V1s, etc, etc.
2) GI irons somewhow correct the hooks and slices you didn't want and still produce the one you do want just as easy as a MB. That defies physics.

I stand by my statement. Until an amateur and groove a semi repeatable swing, they have no business learning to work the ball the other direction.

And will they groove that repeatable swing faster with club that does exactly what they tell it or one that corrects some of their mistakes for them?

And will they groove that repeatable swing faster with club that does exactly what they tell it or one that corrects some of their mistakes for them?

As much as I love negative reinforcement, a lot of amateurs do have the want-to to put in the work. And just as many, have the time but are ok with it.

I'm not sure we're saying anthing different. I haven't said feedback is exclusive to MBs - in fact I think it varies by club #, club type, etc etc. Different clubs are going to provide different levels of feedback. LOTS of great players play CBs - all levels and types of CB. There is nothing at all wrong with that. The object is to get the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. Do whatever works.

I guess where I do take a little issue are with the camps that say:
1) Only scratch players should play MBs and anyone else who does has no business doing it and they're trying to impress other golfers. That's non-sense. I have no doubt that the "impress the foursome" crowd exists but with that arguement you have to include having a staff bag with your name on it, dressing like Ricky Fowler, using Pro V1s, etc, etc.
2) GI irons somewhow correct the hooks and slices you didn't want and still produce the one you do want just as easy as a MB. That defies physics.

First off I dont think anybody has said anything remotely like #1. It seems that people keep throwing it out there despite nobody saying anything like that.

Second, I dont think anybody has said a perimeter weighted iron corrects hooks or slices either. Because it doesnt.

I get the feeling that some people have these horrible pent up frustrations based on what people post elsewhere and what they expect people to post that they are bringing it up here or expect people to be saying them.

If you want to speak physics, please see the post about the muscle back being more forgiving on off center hits in terms of accuracy.

Again, it is not black and white and this entire argument says it is. One can have some forgiveness and still get feedback.

First off I dont think anybody has said anything remotely like #1. It seems that people keep throwing it out there despite nobody saying anything like that.

Second, I dont think anybody has said a perimeter weighted iron corrects hooks or slices either. Because it doesnt.

I get the feeling that some people have these horrible pent up frustrations based on what people post elsewhere and what they expect people to post that they are bringing it up here or expect people to be saying them.

If you want to speak physics, please see the post about the muscle back being more forgiving on off center hits in terms of accuracy.

JB, I apologize if I hit a nerve. I seriously didn't mean to..but there have been posts in this thread saying folks have no business playing xx and that yy provides just as much feedback. If I misread them, again I apologize. I'm not going to go back through 8 pages and search and honestly I've seen similar threads on other sites saying the same so I may have transposed.

People have clearly said that a perimeter weighted iron is more forgiving (and for the most part it is). The club twists less so it tends to produce a straigher shot if not struck dead center. That will tend to dull a slice/hook...but will also make producing one intentionally harder. It will also dull the feedback of such in practice...again to whatever degree the GI iron is designed for.

I can assure you that I have no pent up frustrations - at least not as far as MBs and CBs go. In fact, I was basically out of the game for the better part of a decade so all this internet golf forum stuff is new to me. I was truely surprised as I searched around that this is such a controversial topic because it honestly never occurred to me. Funny because when I bought new MB's recently I was really excited and posted such on here but had not idea that I probably ticked half the site off. I was just excited about something new in my game and finally getting back into golf.

I certainly never said MB's were more forgiving on off-center hits. I don't need a physics lesson.

My primary points were - and still are -
- People can benefit from hitting blades in practice.
- People should play whatever makes them confident and happy and should not have to apologize or justify it to anyone.

I can tell you no nerve hit with me, I am here for fun and to assist as well as education.
I agree that at some places (and with some people) you will get those kind of arguments, but it will be few and far between on THP.
I agree that people should play what they want.

Pro golfers play blades. I have a staff bag and look like a tour pro. I use players irons just to keep up appearances.

Pro golfers play blades. I have a staff bag and look like a tour pro. I use players irons just to keep up appearances.

I'm going to ask TA2 for a "stirring the pot" smiley in your honor. ;):D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Making fun of people who play blades is just as bad as the people who play blades just for appearances, I reckon.

I'm just bummed that there are 20-odd handicappers hitting their 4 irons as far as I hit my 5 wood.

Making fun of people who play blades is just as bad as the people who play blades just for appearances, I reckon.

I'm just bummed that there are 20-odd handicappers hitting their 4 irons as far as I hit my 5 wood.

If i played in your conditions i probably wouldnt hit it as far as I do. As I understand Scotland has very windy conditions that lead to low ball flight being a necessity many times. People who make fun of people for playing blades do so because they dont have the mental ability to approach the game with the mindset not everyone needs to have instant gratification and are perfectly willing to have horrible days mixed in with great days.

With regard to shaping shots - blu, I agree with you for the most part. You should always play the straight shot/your natural shape (in my case, a slight cut) whenever you can, which is 95% of time at least I'd say, and most amateurs probably shouldn't worry about trying to fit the shot shape to the hole and such. However, it is valuable to know how to hit the opposing shape for when you are in trouble. I hit a drive the other day to a point in the fairway on a hard dogleg left par 4 that wasn't quite long enough to have a shot at the green with a straight shot - I needed to either lay up with a short punch or wedge and then get on in 3, or hit a draw 6 iron to try and get to the green. For these type of reasons, I do believe that amateurs should at least know the fundamentals of how to produce a cut/draw for when they end up in a sticky situation.

So does all this mean that a scratch golfer playing blades is a better golfer than a scratch golfer playing SGI irons? Ponder that one a while.

I played Wilson Staff Blades for years. Loved them. Hit the 2 iron 250 yards accurately. I was younger, stronger, my injuries had not caught up to me. Got fit for clubs a few years ago and wound up with MP 52s. Love the look, feel and playability. Wanted blades but the pro who fit me, and has been my instructor ever since.

I still WANT blades. LOVE the look of them and may get a set for grins. The average player, IMO, should play what makes them happy, feels right, looks good to the player and LASTLY playability.

If i played in your conditions i probably wouldnt hit it as far as I do. As I understand Scotland has very windy conditions that lead to low ball flight being a necessity many times. People who make fun of people for playing blades do so because they dont have the mental ability to approach the game with the mindset not everyone needs to have instant gratification and are perfectly willing to have horrible days mixed in with great days.

I think this is a vast generalization that doesn't need to be made.

I disagree with the sentiments that amateurs shouldn't worry about shaping shots. Learning to shape shots can help a person learn how their swing changes, whether it's swing plane, grip, stance, etc. effects ball flight. This not only helps them when they are on the course and a situation arises where they need to hit one of these shots, but it also helps them if their swing is off, they can get an idea of what is happening in their swing and try to correct it. I definitely believe that players should stick to the shot that they can repeat with some level of consistency, but I'd still try to learn how to hit those other shots.

With golf clubs it all comes down to personal preference. Everybody's swing is different and it doesn't matter if you are a 36 handicap or a 1 handicap if blades work for you then use them. Yes blades are generally going to be less forgiving than a cavity back, and certainly less forgiving than a GI or SGI iron, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't play them.

I disagree with the sentiments that amateurs shouldn't worry about shaping shots. Learning to shape shots can help a person learn how their swing changes, whether it's swing plane, grip, stance, etc. effects ball flight. This not only helps them when they are on the course and a situation arises where they need to hit one of these shots, but it also helps them if their swing is off, they can get an idea of what is happening in their swing and try to correct it. I definitely believe that players should stick to the shot that they can repeat with some level of consistency, but I'd still try to learn how to hit those other shots.

I do think there is a ton of value in understanding how each shape is created. Without a doubt. It makes on course corrections much easier. However, a lot of golfers do not put in the time to practice their natural swing. To only add more thoughts to their already crowded swing thought library, I believe, isn't helpful.

I do think there is a ton of value in understanding how each shape is created. Without a doubt. It makes on course corrections much easier. However, a lot of golfers do not put in the time to practice their natural swing. To only add more thoughts to their already crowded swing thought library, I believe, isn't helpful.

I agree 100%, I think they need to find their shot that they are the most consistent with and use that for 99% of their shots.

Back