Driver and Iron Shaft Stiffness

Bog33y

Reaction score
Handicap
Recently, I purchased a Ping i20 driver 10.5 degree, with the stock Ping TFC 707D shaft, R Flex. But more recently, I went to get fitted for an Adams Super S iron/hybrid set... we ended up ordering the stock KBS Tour 90 shaft for my irons and Matrix Kujoh 75 shaft for the hybrids in S Flex. Is there some rule that the stiffness of the clubs in my bag should be uniform? I ask because after my lesson today, I hit some balls with my driver and the ball flight seemed to balloon a bit. I'm wondering if it's because I need to go S with my driver shaft too? Or maybe I should go down to 9.5 degrees of loft instead of the 10.5 I have now. I'm still within the 90 exchange policy for my driver so now is a good time to make an exchange if need be lol! Anyway, here are my stats from when I hit the driver on the launch monitor.
001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

There is no rule but if you were fit for stiff in the hybrid then you cod probably play stiff in the driver.

We're you fit for the driver too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of knowledgeable experts who will be along soon. I am certainly no expert, but from my own experience, one manufacturers stiff is very different from another's. I have regular in my hybrid and stiff in my driver. Key question is above. Were you fit for the driver? I ended up with stiff, not for distance, but for control. I would recommend seeing a good fitter, they will make sure you are right.

Unfortunately not for my driver. I said I wanted to compare my old driver to the i20 and g20 and they let me swing away. They said based on my swing speed I was right on the cusp of a S shaft but may be better served with R flex. I loved the feel and the numbers I got from the i20 so I purchased it... Looking back at it, they didn't even suggest I try the S to see if there was a difference or try the other Project X shaft Ping offers with i20.

I play X-stiff irons and stiff in my hybrid and woods/driver. Swing speed is a start to getting you in the right shaft but definitely should not be the only consideration. If swing speed is the only thing they considered then I would consider trying another fitter. I have played many drivers that were never fit and when I finally got the right shaft it was night and day.

The Ping shafts are actually quite stiff IMO. I generally play stiff in most shafts but I am a regular in the TFC's

The Ping shafts are actually quite stiff IMO. I generally play stiff in most shafts but I am a regular in the TFC's

TFC are very stoudt shafts.

Well there you go. Buck hits it 30000 yards so he needs a stiffy!

Back