Shank/Slicing Irons (5-Lob)

Cyclones321

Reaction score
Handicap
10-12
Hey guys,

I've having a big issue with my irons, both long and short. Lately I have been shanking and slicing (not even really a slice, just a really really bad shank). I feel like I have a solid swing... I think my main problem is pulling my lead shoulder out of the shot too early. I've also been hitting fat iron shots.... I'm super frustrated and don't know what to do.... I feel like I've tried everything! This hasn't been a problem all year until these past two weeks. I can hit my driver, fairway and hybrids beautifully, but i can't figure out my irons....

Any drills or advice out there for me?

Shank/Slicing Irons (5-Lob)

Lots of things can cause shanks. You can have the club too closed, too open or be standing too close. However, one of the most frequent reasons is simply a loss of body & arm timing because you're trying to think too much.

It could be a lot of things. Two major faults that get my swing out of shape like this are either swaying onto my back foot during the back swing or getting out balance at address, with my weight on the balls of my feet instead of over the arches.

Put Herbie in ya bag for a couple of weeks :thumb:. Absolutely shank proof!

You'll receive tons of good advice from forum members, but there's also an "Ask the Pro" section that has proven beneficial to me.

Is an inside to out swing path the correct one?

A shank it off the hosel, we can agree in that. You are leading with the heal of the club on the down swing. This can be caused by coming out of the shot.
Weight transfer staying on the right and or coming over the top.

Place club head behind the ball with your right hand and put some weight behind it (lean on the shaft a little. Take your stance and setup with this extra pressure in the club.
Now relax and step back a tad bit, fractions of an inch. By doing this you would have to reach out to the ball to hit a shank. Basically I've pulled back away from the ball. Leaning on club gets you on your toes. When you settle into the shot you will be slightly back from your original position. This should relieve you of the dreaded chili peppers

Back