THP UK - Summer Cup discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mav281

Mr Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
With the memory of the Belfry still fresh in our minds, I guess now is as good a time as any to start to consider our 3rd outing of the year - which would be our 2013 THP UK Summer Cup.

I've been having a look at some options for a few weeks now and have come across a couple of good ones. But first and foremost I just wanted to note a few things I have picked up on from the first two events.

Location - central to the country seems to be appealing for most. I am happy to travel as I know others are, but given that we are aiming to get as big a group of people together as possible, does anyone else have any suggestions?

Food/Entertainment - Breakfast in the morning is a given, but suggestions at the Belfry were that people may prefer "going out for dinner" in the evening rather than having a meal at the hotel. Obviously this gives us a chance to hit the battle cruiser before/after and also means we can go for a dirty curry at any time of our choosing :)

Golf- Everyone seems to have enjoyed the format of the golf in the first few events. Anyone think we could do things better?

Thoughts people......

THP UK - Summer Cup discussion thread

No problem travelling. My preference will always be for 'top' courses, but I appreciate we all have constraints on how much we can spend on golf! We started South, went to the Midlands, so the natural progression might be to go North?

Updated Info

Gainsborough Golf Club in Lincolnshire - The Summer Cup

Date: Sunday 29th September / Monday 30th September.

This is a round of golf on Sunday afternoon, a three course dinner, accommodation then another round on Monday morning. Golf, B&B - £60 a head.

Golf only either day will be £25. Golf on Sunday + 3 course meal in the evening will be £45.

There are two apartments - each sleeping 4. We can handle more players, I have a list of local B&B and hotels and will make enquiries as needs be. This may of course impact cost, but I'll do my level best to keep it to the 60+ prize fund.

Day players - this will not be a problem. We should be able to make work for either day.

Overnighters

1. El Bandito
2. Bully
3. Mav281
4. Tony Fayle
5. Martin Newton
6. Rob Newton
7. Ianb281
8. The Dane
9. Sam 'Dressed in the Dark' Guest
10. Will_I_Dream
11. BurgerBudge - winner UK THP Spring Cup 2013. Current Champion!
12. David l
13. CragRat - winner UK THP Winter Cup 2013. Immediate Past Champion

Day Trippers

1. The Doctor (and his three wood)
2. Richard Rodgers

Last edited:
Format. I love the team element, could we stick with the same format but add in a team Stableford as well?

So by that you mean keep the yellow ball competition, but add in a team stableford score on the second day as well?

^^^^^ Trip details confirmed in post above ^^^^^

Last edited:
So by that you mean keep the yellow ball competition, but add in a team stableford score on the second day as well?

Yes, something like that

The only possible problem that might occur with having a team stableford score on the second day is that you could have all of the highest scoring players in one group which, assuming they play well again, may not give the other teams much of a chance?

The format for the corporate day that I played recently was a bit similar to the way we played the first day with the yellow ball - the only difference was the scorecards were already prepared with which player would have the yellow ball on which hole, eg

Player 1 - Holes 1, 5, 9, 13, 17
Player 2 - Holes 2, 6, 10, 14, 18
Player 3 - Holes 3, 7, 11, 15
Player 4 - Holes 4, 8, 12, 16

So players 1 and 2 would have it for 5 holes and the others for 4 holes (this could introduce some tactics for deciding who to list as the first 2 players, or by looking at a course guide to work out which were the holes would best suit a particular player for the yellow ball score)

As per our day, the score for the player with the yellow ball went towards the overall team score for the yellow ball, but you only had 1 yellow ball so when it was lost that was your final score

The team side of the event was to take the best 2 scores from the fourball and these were totalled for the overall team score

So we would have the individual stableford, team stableford and yellow ball scores

I was trying to work out a way of having a second day team score, but think it would only really work with 16 players, with each team being comprised from 1 player in each of the 4 groups?

Location wise, I think that a central course (possibly with access to an airport nearby for anyone like Tom who wants to join us) is a good choice - as much as I would love to play somewhere like Celtic Manor, it would turn 2 days into 4 realistically to be able to enjoy it as I would probably drive down the day before and stay an extra night before heading back home, otherwise it would mean a 5hr drive both days with the 2 rounds of golf in between

Blimey Doc! Lost me quite early, but I think I got it. For team scores, always a chance that one team runs away.. You could say that best and worst scores from team on day 2 count, and we could seed the teams as it were....

Mav, no disrespect to Nottingham, but that deal looks serious money for no name courses. Is it the time of year? Or are they posh courses? Jury's is 4 star...perhaps we could struggle through with a 3 star? 130 for Belfry, CM etc I can see value at that price.

Mav, no disrespect to Nottingham, but that deal looks serious money for no name courses. Is it the time of year? Or are they posh courses? Jury's is 4 star...perhaps we could struggle through with a 3 star? 130 for Belfry, CM etc I can see value at that price.

It is time of the year mate - summer is always going to be more expensive than any other time of the year. Also don't forget that by the time we finished with upgrades and what not - The Belfry was £170 all in to play the Brabazon and PGA National.

None the less I can see your point, and I do agree with what your saying.

Forest Pines is still a distinct possibility - again that's £130 for 2 rounds of golf, accommodation, Dinner and Breakfast. Unfortunately because it's a package deal they probably won't knock much if anything off the price for us not taking the dinner option.

It is time of the year mate - summer is always going to be more expensive than any other time of the year. Also don't forget that by the time we finished with upgrades and what not - The Belfry was £170 all in to play the Brabazon and PGA National.

None the less I can see your point, and I do agree with what your saying.

Forest Pines is still a distinct possibility - again that's £130 for 2 rounds of golf, accommodation, Dinner and Breakfast. Unfortunately because it's a package deal they probably won't knock much if anything off the price for us not taking the dinner option.

I see what you are saying. Of the two, forest pines sounds better value. I have heard its a good course or two up there. Assuming an early finish to the golf, we could hit the buffet early and then grab some beer at a boozer?

Just out of interest, I'll try some places direct

As a comparison; 149 gets you Sunday Monday in August at Celtic Manor including the 2010. Bed breakfast, no evening meal. That's before I start applying the thumb screws:alien:

As a comparison; 149 gets you Sunday Monday in August at Celtic Manor including the 2010. Bed breakfast, no evening meal. That's before I start applying the thumb screws:alien:

That's going to be hard to turn down.

However I should imagine numbers might dwindle a little if we go for something like that.

Happy to see what the feedback from everyone is - Having played the Brabazon and PGA National @ The Belfry, I would be keen as ever to play the 2010 at Celtic Manor!

Gainsborough Golf Club (UK home of Ping) Lincolnshire. (Burgerbudge will like this one!)

sunday Driver. Tee off after 1 on Sunday, sleep in on course apartments, play other course Monday morning. 60 a head. Up to 30th Sep.
without the Sunday stipulation and tees any time, 90 a head

That's going to be hard to turn down.

However I should imagine numbers might dwindle a little if we go for something like that.

Happy to see what the feedback from everyone is - Having played the Brabazon and PGA National @ The Belfry, I would be keen as ever to play the 2010 at Celtic Manor!

Agree with all your points. Lets see what people think?

There is nothing to stop us going for something like the Gainsborough for the Cup to get it as inclusive as possible (and give the Northern lads a break from Driving) but also run a trip to CM for those that want to?.?

Hi guys. Forest Pines and Celtic are great tracks.

I know that you are looking at overnighters, which is obviously a must for you guys travelling so far, but have you thought of rather than doing the thing as a whole two days comp, do it as two sep days and an overall.

If you can do that several things will prob happen.

1) Those staying and playing both days have 3 chance of winning something(I know its not all about the winning).
2) It should be possible to negotiate with the course to allow people to play on one day and not stay over thereby you getting more bums on seats for each day of golf and the club getting more green fee money. If the course do not want to allow people to join in with the group unless they stay over, I would tell them to shove it and look elsewhere

There are probably a good many UK THPers who either can't afford the time or the money to stay overnight.

I would dearly love to do a two day thing with you all, but this year is my 25th wed anniversary year and if I suggested spending a couple of hundred quid on two days golf I would be walking strange for a month.

Just a thought guys.

Gainsborough Golf Club (UK home of Ping) Lincolnshire. (Burgerbudge will like this one!)

sunday Driver. Tee off after 1 on Sunday, sleep in on course apartments, play other course Monday morning. 60 a head. Up to 30th Sep.

forgot to mention, brekkie included.

Crag Rat, Mav281 - you two could get a bunker lesson at the Ping Academy while I see if the Pro can find a swing for me...any swing! David L. Checked. All windows reinforced.

in terms of yellow ball, one course is called Karsten Lakes.....water wedge time!:bulgy-eyes:

That's a pretty damn good offer - is that direct from them? Have you played the course/s before?

Hi guys. Forest Pines and Celtic are great tracks.

I know that you are looking at overnighters, which is obviously a must for you guys travelling so far, but have you thought of rather than doing the thing as a whole two days comp, do it as two sep days and an overall.

Has been considered mate and personally that's how I would like to do things. The major issue is squeezing the prize pot to cover more trophy's and prizes. If everyone is happy to up the contribution to £10 then I can extend the prize fund quite substantially.

There are probably a good many UK THPers who either can't afford the time or the money to stay overnight.

Very conscious about this and have tried hard to strike a balance between cost and quality.

We also discussed this at the last meet and I think we agreed that getting numbers to the next event was as important as playing somewhere "special". Hence the reason something central or even slightly north is being looked at on this occasion.

I would dearly love to do a two day thing with you all, but this year is my 25th wed anniversary year and if I suggested spending a couple of hundred quid on two days golf I would be walking strange for a month.

If we can keep the cost down to less than £100 are you going to be tempted?

Mav281, no mate. Not played either. But I am guessing Ping are unlikely to put their name to a dodgy place. I just had a look at their website, courses look ok. Burgerbudge might know, Gainsborough is not far from him at all.

If we go, then we need to lean on Ping about perhaps equipping a Euro team to go hammer the guys in the States....:act-up:

Equally at a cost of 60, for two rounds, bed and brekkie, you can't really argue can you?

Rodger's input is good I think. I would imagine that most courses would gladly take the additional revenue and we can 'snare' a few more guys that way!

All of that said...still fancy playing CM again...perhaps as a splinter group? I'm sure that they would like to see us go play in the States in 2010 kit...:alien:

Hi Stu, a couple of my friends have played Gainsborough and word is that it is not bad at all and well worth a punt.

Mav, anyone would be interested at sub 100 for 2 rounds of golf, but TBH this year I would really be looking for just a single day. Don't want to cause issues this year!!!!

Re the prize fund. I have no probs with £10 or even £20 to make the prizes something special if that is the way you wish to go, but even if you are having the thing over two days and all the prizes based on the two days I have NO problem with stumping up towards the prizes and not even entering the comp as such. Just to get one game with fellow THPers is worth £20 + a green fee of anyone's money.

Basically what I am saying is that if I can make the next date this year and prob just get in on one day I will be a happy bunny even if I can't play for the prizes.

Let me know. In the meantime I will PM you and Stu my mobile and work numbers so we can have a chat if you want.

Hi Stu, a couple of my friends have played Gainsborough and word is that it is not bad at all and well worth a punt.

Mav, anyone would be interested at sub 100 for 2 rounds of golf, but TBH this year I would really be looking for just a single day. Don't want to cause issues this year!!!!

Re the prize fund. I have no probs with £10 or even £20 to make the prizes something special if that is the way you wish to go, but even if you are having the thing over two days and all the prizes based on the two days I have NO problem with stumping up towards the prizes and not even entering the comp as such. Just to get one game with fellow THPers is worth £20 + a green fee of anyone's money.

Basically what I am saying is that if I can make the next date this year and prob just get in on one day I will be a happy bunny even if I can't play for the prizes.

Let me know. In the meantime I will PM you and Stu my mobile and work numbers so we can have a chat if you want.

Understood mate!

I have Absolutly no doubt that we will be able to include you on the first days golf mate. Package or not I will find a way to get you onto the course with us. You are obviously more than welcome to join us for beers and a curry afterwards as well.

I'm always up for a curry. Takes the edge off any crap golf.

I'm always up for a curry. Takes the edge off any crap golf.
MAV could find a decent curry in Iceland mate...and with your handicap, your going to be giving lessons too!

If I was to play something local to me it would be Pines it's 27 holes so gives a bit of variety. It has excellent on site facilities.

I also play a few times a year with work and we stay at a central location and play two courses fairly near the accommodation. This allows a decent night out in a town centre somewhere and usually a curry.

This would also allow people to only play the one day and there is a little more arm bending on the price on a single day and also on the hotel price.

What about something a little more central like Leeds? Yorkshire? Or even more up north Newcastle/Hartlepool etc etc?

I can make some enquiries about Gainsborough with some of the local lads. I haven't played it personally but will find out.

If I was to play something local to me it would be Pines it's 27 holes so gives a bit of variety. It has excellent on site facilities.

I also play a few times a year with work and we stay at a central location and play two courses fairly near the accommodation. This allows a decent night out in a town centre somewhere and usually a curry.

This would also allow people to only play the one day and there is a little more arm bending on the price on a single day and also on the hotel price.

What about something a little more central like Leeds? Yorkshire? Or even more up north Newcastle/Hartlepool etc etc?

Have you played Gainsborough mate? It has 2 times 18 hole courses I believe...in terms of the other suggestions...no idea about courses up in that neck of the woods, I'm relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back