Path2Putt Laser Training Aid - THP Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be reviewing this very interesting product over the coming weeks. A putting training aid that uses a laser to give instant feedback on the path of your stroke.

images

This is a small laser pointer-like device that attaches to the shaft of your putter and gives a visual marker on the ground. It's designed to promote an arced putting stroke, which is sort of hard to grasp when looking at pictures, but it actually does do just that. The goal is the have an arced stroke without taking the putter outside or too far inside the line.

51dW3INIuzL.jpg

I had a chance to use it for awhile this evening and I'll be honest and say that it worked surprisingly well. Only thing is that you need something that marks a straight line on the surface you're putting on - they recommend a chalk line if you're on an actual putting green. I'm notorious for taking my arc very inside the line and it was pretty quick to show me when I was doing that. Will get some pics and maybe some video here in the coming days.

It's probably best described in this video:

I'm a nerd. I want one.

• Staff
Pretty cheap - $30

Hmmmmm. I need to watch this one.

That's actually pretty clever. I might pick one up to try.

Very simple yet effective. I like the idea. May have to give this a look.

Agree with everyone...simple but yet looks to get the job done. Putting on my list!

Looks very interesting, would help groove the stroke for sure!

Interesting device.

A few things I like about if from the get-go. It's not expensive, it's unique, very portable, appears to do what it says it should, and is easy to install for use.

At the same time, it does have limits. It's not great for actually putting a ball with, because the laser hits the ball intead of the ground at address. It's also distracting to me to follow a laser dot on the ground when I'm trying to putt a ball. I like to keep my eyes on the ball itself. Nothing good comes out of watching what the putter is doing.

So, defintely something I'd use more for dry runs. The other thing that is vital is having some sort of straight line on the ground to use for a guide. The video I posted uses a wood floor, which is what I've done with success. I also put a tape line on my indoor putting surface and it worked well.

I will say that it quickly showed me getting too far inside the line, which is a problem I've struggled with for years off and on. Having a visual reference where I want my hands (in relation to where the head of the putter travels) was quite helpful.

Back