Love cycling and tend to ride once a week or so. Not much time with a new puppy. My ride I built up:

8463408456_43ec001a99_b.jpg

Now has gloss black fizik tape and a black saddle.

That is a beauty!! Is that the 2013 SRAM Red groupo I see. I'm riding a BH G5, Sram Red, with Reynolds Attack Carbon Clinchers. Weighs in at 14.8 lbs with pedals, trip computer, and bottle cages.

That is a beauty!! Is that the 2013 SRAM Red groupo I see. I'm riding a BH G5, Sram Red, with Reynolds Attack Carbon Clinchers. Weighs in at 14.8 lbs with pedals, trip computer, and bottle cages.

2013 red except brakes, RD, DA 7801 chain, and Ultegra cassette. RD is previous generation red that sanded to raw carbon cage. Brakes are Planet-X CNC gunmetal. I also changed to a 130mm stem as this is a size smaller (56.5) than my old bike that had 110mm stem. It's right at 15 lbs now with the heavy everyday wheels (running road tubeless with sealant). With carbon race wheels it can drop below 14 total.

My BH is a similar setup to your bike, although a little less custom. A buddy and I just did the 71 mile loop around Lake Tahoe averaging just over 19 mph.
DSC_0200_zps6a42365f.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really thinking about getting into road biking just for the fitness aspect of it and the fact I hate running!

I need to get back on the bike soon. It's been about a month since I have ridden further than 20 miles.

My wife is a cyclist. She's ridden several metric centuries. We went to France to celebrate the end of her cancer treatments to watch Lance win his 7th Tour de France (before all the controversy).

What is a good starter bike? I don't want to spend a ton and don't plan on racing just want to be able to do some decently long rides and not work as hard as I do on my mountain bike. I have a line on Raleigh and GT bikes since a guy I went to school with just opened up a bike shop.

What is a good starter bike? I don't want to spend a ton and don't plan on racing just want to be able to do some decently long rides and not work as hard as I do on my mountain bike. I have a line on Raleigh and GT bikes since a guy I went to school with just opened up a bike shop.

Go with a road bike. A Specialized Allez would be a great bike to start with and will allow you to do longer distances and still have a comfortable round.

I need to get back on the bike soon. It's been about a month since I have ridden further than 20 miles.

Hey me too... and I plan to keep it that way.

Go with a road bike. A Specialized Allez would be a great bike to start with and will allow you to do longer distances and still have a comfortable round.

Thanks War! It looks to be similar in price to the Raleigh Revenio 2.0 I have looked at. Time to do some research I suppose.

Thanks War! It looks to be similar in price to the Raleigh Revenio 2.0 I have looked at. Time to do some research I suppose.

I'll be at the shop tomorrow and can get you some more info. Cannondale has some sub 1k bikes that are great. You can find some awesome deals in CAAD 10s right now too.

I have a trek hybrid, and really wish I would of taken the nextstep to a mid level road bike. So if you can swing it I would go with a road bike. Listen to War, he knows bikes

Get a road bike with 105 components if you can afford to - should start in the $1,000 range. They function the same as the top of the line stuff but are just heavier.

I would second the Specialized Allez. I bought one back when 20 miles was a long ride that was 4 years, and a few thousand miles ago, I still like it and it's still plenty of bike for me. You can get the best component package you can afford, but the lowest package on these will work great given at least some maintenance. They are 'round $950.

Tappin' on the Kingphone.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll start looking some more into it and ask more questions when I get more into it.

Rode with my father in law and brother in law this morning on Long Boat Key. Beautiful day for a ride, 65 miles and my legs are screaming.

Got back from the range and started to get ready for a ride but its pouring out there now. Not really a fan of starting in the rain or wet roads so it may be tomorrow before I ride

I've only been getting one ride a week in. So bloody hot! I really want to get onto a more regular schedule and ride at least twice a week, if not three times.

I've only been getting one ride a week in. So bloody hot! I really want to get onto a more regular schedule and ride at least twice a week, if not three times.

I'm riding again tomorrow. They are getting crazy with talks of 100 miles

40 miles this morning, beach ride down to our shop.

Bagels, coffee, and watching the Tour before finishing with another 40 mile ride out to the beach.

40 miles this morning, beach ride down to our shop.

Bagels, coffee, and watching the Tour before finishing with another 40 mile ride out to the beach.

Ur an animal

Back