Callaway X-Hot Fairway Wood Preview Thread

@Fourwiggle - I'm just curious, why did you go with the 4-wood over a 3-wood?

Long story.

The short version is me and 3-woods just don't get along well off the deck (and sometimes off the tee). I was playing a 16.5* TM R11 but could only manage about 240 off the tee with that club and 230-235 off the deck. The XHP blows it away and I couldn't be happier. And I'm not a Callaway fanboy, I'm a Mizuno fanboy but not Callaway. Can't argue with what Callaway is doing right now though, they've really recommitted themselves to the product and we as consumers win in the end. I didn't get along with XHP driver though. It's just a dog in comparison to the other products they've got out, IMO...

Can anyone explain the differences between xhot and xhot pro shafts? Real Deal VS Proprietary shaft??

Can anyone explain the differences between xhot and xhot pro shafts? Real Deal VS Proprietary shaft??

Made for vs aftermarket. That being said you will be well served by either. I've swing both and both pair well with the head.

Thanks what are the characteristics of each? Both clubs are the same Msrp but one has a presumably more expensive shaft and the other has a less costly "replica" of that shaft. Just trying to better understand why.

Thanks what are the characteristics of each? Both clubs are the same Msrp but one has a presumably more expensive shaft and the other has a less costly "replica" of that shaft. Just trying to better understand why.

The pro has a smaller head and is devoid of graphics. Both are long but you may see more forgiveness in the Xhot. It is set up for a higher launch than the xhp.

Made for vs aftermarket. That being said you will be well served by either. I've swing both and both pair well with the head.

This...

The pro has a smaller head and is devoid of graphics. Both are long but you may see more forgiveness in the Xhot. It is set up for a higher launch than the xhp.

And this!!

First round out with mine today. Wow! It really is easy to get the ball in the air, and the face is hot hot hot as advertised. Such a great feeling when hit in the sweet spot. Didn't play it off the tee, about 7-8 shots off the fairway. It was windy, so I didn't really monitor distances, and 1 into the wind did balloon on me, but it was a pretty stiff wind.

Hit the 3 and 4 wood at the callaway demo day last week. Loved both of them and with a 30+mph wind directly in our faces they both dropped bombs. I don't know any exact yardages but I was hitting it further than all the guys hitting drivers. I felt they were both very accurate, but now I don't know which one to get. I have since demo'ed the 3 wood on the course and still love it, but the pro shop does not have the 4 wood. Of course I live in the middle of nowhere and can't go to a big store to hit everything on the planet, so I have some decisions to make.

Hit the 3 and 4 wood at the callaway demo day last week. Loved both of them and with a 30+mph wind directly in our faces they both dropped bombs. I don't know any exact yardages but I was hitting it further than all the guys hitting drivers. I felt they were both very accurate, but now I don't know which one to get. I have since demo'ed the 3 wood on the course and still love it, but the pro shop does not have the 4 wood. Of course I live in the middle of nowhere and can't go to a big store to hit everything on the planet, so I have some decisions to make.

You'll do fine with either, I chose the 4-wood because 3 bangers off the deck give me nightmares (I know, mental)...

Only 2* difference unless you're looking at the 13.5. Which you could carry the 13.5* and 17* if you have room. Or you could do a 13* or 14.5* 3-deep and a 17*. See how good choices are? :D

Glad your having success with the clubs though, they really are wonderful!!

First off I am new to golf. My instructor said I did not need the pro model so I never hit that. At first he gave me the 4 to hit and told me not to look at it, and just see what I thought hitting it. I hit it great. Then he handed me the 3 to hit. I also hit it great but it did not have as high of a trajectory. I probably hit 50-60 balls with the 2 and love them both but with the weather conditions I just couldn't tell my actual distance. My instructor likes a higher trajectory so It will come down with less roll out. I really want distance so I can reach par 5's in 2.

My concern with trajectory is the area I live in can be terribly windy. I have watched straight shots get above the tree line and go crazy. I guess I really need to go somewhere with a launch monitor and check my numbers between the two. I love the 3 when I demo it on course. So much so that I have not pulled out my driver my last 2 rounds. I was hitting the 3 wood 260 off the tee with more accuracy so I felt no need to pull the driver. It's no coincidence they were the best 2 rounds I have ever played. Every time I play now I wish my course had the 4 for me to demo because I can't help but wonder what it will do. It was hard to tell during my demo day but it seemed like one of those clubs that as it got higher it just kept going and going. Being new to the game this is the best feeling club I have hit, and it has given me so much more confidence. Oh decisions...

I love this club. I don't know how else to say it except for this club just delivers. It's my favorite club in the bag.

Like fourwiggle mentioned earlier in this thread, I hit both the 3 wood (15 degree) and 4 wood (17 degree) this last weekend and boy am I glad I did! I was 99% sure I would just get the pro 3 wood, and I was hitting it quite well this weekend. Only issue I had was it was just a bit low for me and what I like to see my 3 wood at. But in saying that they were long! So the Callaway rep comes over and says, "Are you hitting it a bit lower than you like?" (Boy, these reps are good!). He hands me the Pro 4 wood, 17 degree, and says, "Try this." Right away, loved the flight of the ball. Perfect. After about 5-7 balls I then started to notice that it was going just as far as my current TM 2.0 Superfast 3 wood that I love so dearly! So not only was it going just as far but it was easier to hit! I am so glad that I went out and hit both of these fairway woods! I loved the 3 wood but I think the 4 is just going to serve me so much better in the long run. These are truly awesome fairway woods!

Like fourwiggle mentioned earlier in this thread, I hit both the 3 wood (15 degree) and 4 wood (17 degree) this last weekend and boy am I glad I did! I was 99% sure I would just get the pro 3 wood, and I was hitting it quite well this weekend. Only issue I had was it was just a bit low for me and what I like to see my 3 wood at. But in saying that they were long! So the Callaway rep comes over and says, "Are you hitting it a bit lower than you like?" (Boy, these reps are good!). He hands me the Pro 4 wood, 17 degree, and says, "Try this." Right away, loved the flight of the ball. Perfect. After about 5-7 balls I then started to notice that it was going just as far as my current TM 2.0 Superfast 3 wood that I love so dearly! So not only was it going just as far but it was easier to hit! I am so glad that I went out and hit both of these fairway woods! I loved the 3 wood but I think the 4 is just going to serve me so much better in the long run. These are truly awesome fairway woods!

Awesome Nate!! I'm glad you were able to try it straight-up against the 3-wood so you could see and experience exactly what I've been trying to articulate to the rest of the forum. The club is flat-out ridiculous in every respect (in a good way obviously). As far as I'm concerned they could leave the numbers, degrees and nomenclature off the bottom and call it "X Hot Pro Fairway"...:D

All that being said, I've recently ordered a 3 Deep 14.5 to hopefully complement the 4-wood. I'm not sure it will fit in really until I try it but we'll see. I do have a 25-30 yard gap between the 4-wood and driver. I'm just not sure that's a gap that needs to be filled?!?!

Team Callaway fairway wood was ordered today for the July Morgan Cup! To say I'm excited about this fairway wood would be drastically underselling my anticipation for this club to hit my bag. I will call this club The Fairway Finder!

Head Chosen – Xhot Pro 17
Loft – 17 degrees
Grip - Lamkin Crossline ACE 3GEN (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] choice REL 3GEN – White); 1 wrap
Shaft - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White 72 Stiff

after reading this thread pretty much sold on a 17 degree pro, just not sure if i want 6.0 or 6.5 shaft.....

after reading this thread pretty much sold on a 17 degree pro, just not sure if i want 6.0 or 6.5 shaft.....

To me, the PXv shafts play around an 1/8 - 1/4 flex soft. The 6.0 is more like an R+ or an S soft-stepped and the 6.5 like an S+ or an S hard-stepped. So, if you normally play a standard Stiff shaft go with the 6.5 if you're looking for more accuracy & control and the 6.0 if you're looking to get a little extra distance.

I have a 6.5 in my XHP 17* and a 6.0 in my 14.5* 3-Deep. I may actually end-up with a 6.5 in the 3-Deep but for now it's going okay. No way in H*LL am I changing the 4-wood!! If you have an opportunity, try them both and see which you like more but you'll be fine with either...

I love my X Hot driver but I could not get along with the fairway on a quick demo. Whereas I picked up the RBZ Stage 2 and was smashing it straight away, even though it's the same length I believe as the X Hot fairway.

Love the looks of these, really do. I've hit the hybrids and the fairway woods.

They just don't do it for me... just didn't feel quite right.

That said I'm glad others like them, they are very nice looking clubs.

To me, the PXv shafts play around an 1/8 - 1/4 flex soft. The 6.0 is more like an R+ or an S soft-stepped and the 6.5 like an S+ or an S hard-stepped. So, if you normally play a standard Stiff shaft go with the 6.5 if you're looking for more accuracy & control and the 6.0 if you're looking to get a little extra distance.

I have a 6.5 in my XHP 17* and a 6.0 in my 14.5* 3-Deep. I may actually end-up with a 6.5 in the 3-Deep but for now it's going okay. No way in H*LL am I changing the 4-wood!! If you have an opportunity, try them both and see which you like more but you'll be fine with either...

thanks..I was looking on Amazon I could have the 17 pro degree stiff shaft delivered tomorrow, they don't offer the 17 in the X-Stiff :banghead:(I doubt any Golf stores have a 6.5 17 in stock)

What is your driver SS Fourwiggle? I thought the 6.0 was a tad stout for a Stiff. My SS is about 97mph and went with the 5.5 flex.

Stopped by the local Golfsmith, no X Hot pro 17 degree FW with 6.5 in stock, but they had a 15 degree pro with 6.5 in the used bin I hit it for a while on the launch monitor, I like the shaft, but I think want to 17 degree....

What is your driver SS Fourwiggle? I thought the 6.0 was a tad stout for a Stiff. My SS is about 97mph and went with the 5.5 flex.

Driver swing speed is low-mid 100s like 103-105.

6-iron swing speed is 88-90 mph.

My Mizuno DNA numbers with a 6-iron were 89 6 5 4 5, so I'm kind-of a middle of the road swinger but my downswing tempo is a bit above average...

The 6.0 in my 3-Deep is doing nothing but going left, so it's going back under 30 day playability. May try one in a 6.5. The 6.0 is just too soft (for me).

Stopped by the local Golfsmith, no X Hot pro 17 degree FW with 6.5 in stock, but they had a 15 degree pro with 6.5 in the used bin I hit it for a while on the launch monitor, I like the shaft, but I think want to 17 degree....

Don't settle for less, I'm really thinking this is the ONLY fairway club I need in the bag!!

Get what you want and what suits your game best...

Callaway had made its best line to date with the Xhot pro FWs and 3deep (another thread)
I play a very long course today and felt so comfortable hitting my XhP 3w off the tee. It's easy to hit, it gives me a penetrating mid ball flight and good distance. You swing, look up and it head down the fairway or pealing off a trap.

From the deck the club performs magic. With all the rain Orlando has had the last week the conditions were soft. The club just doesn't dig, the turf interaction is smooth and direct. Great club to have in the bag!

Callaway had made its best line to date with the Xhot pro FWs and 3deep (another thread)
I play a very long course today and felt so comfortable hitting my XhP 3w off the tee. It's easy to hit, it gives me a penetrating mid ball flight and good distance. You swing, look up and it head down the fairway or pealing off a trap.

From the deck the club performs magic. With all the rain Orlando has had the last week the conditions were soft. The club just doesn't dig, the turf interaction is smooth and direct. Great club to have in the bag!

Awesome to hear. I can't wait to put a few swings on these in myrtle

Back