Callaway X Hot Phrankenwood ?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
By now everyone knows Michelson has been playing a driverlike 3wood off the tee for some time. I know Callaway are releasing the new X Hot 3 Deep but what I want to know is if anyone knows if they're gonna release a club like Michelson uses. My understanding of the 3 Deep is its similar to Titleist's 913FD, slightly deeper face and adjusted COG to help keep the ball lower as well as lowering spin.
I've never been a good driver of the ball even though I've played off a + handicap in the past. As a result I've used a strong 3wood which is fine as I hit it well over 275yards but as soon as the wind picks up I'm at a massive disadvantage so the idea of a club like Michelson uses appeals to me big time and no doubt others too ?
Any info appreciated.

Hey, I asked one Callaway R&D leads the same question of a possible release to the public and he told me that because the club was an entire Prototype itself, he could not give me any release date or confirm if it would even be for sale to the public.

I can totally see how you would benefit from the 3Deep.
I would love to hit Leftys club.

The 3deep has been released and is beautiful. The monster that Phil hits is not for Mass consumption. If it is, Harry is being tight lipped

I managed to find a blog on the Callaway website and it sounds like there'd be a ton of interest in a club like this and as such Callaway would be fools to not release it. Admittedly it could hurt their driver sales but could potentially be a huge game changer too. Is anyone making anything even remotely similar to the "phrankenwood"

Cobra's Long Tom 2 wood would be the only thing close I would think.

I managed to find a blog on the Callaway website and it sounds like there'd be a ton of interest in a club like this and as such Callaway would be fools to not release it. Admittedly it could hurt their driver sales but could potentially be a huge game changer too. Is anyone making anything even remotely similar to the "phrankenwood"

I guess, I am in the minority. I don't believe there is that much of a market for a club that's hard to describe.

I don't think Callaway will release it. Not many people would buy it because it just isn't that useful for a ton of amateurs. I would buy it though, because Phil is awesome.

I don't think Callaway will release it. Not many people would buy it because it just isn't that useful for a ton of amateurs. I would buy it though, because Phil is awesome.

I disagree. A modified 3w that plays as long as a driver. Most amateurs can't hit driver but hit 3w much better. Why wouldn't it work for amateurs?

I disagree. A modified 3w that plays as long as a driver. Most amateurs can't hit driver but hit 3w much better. Why wouldn't it work for amateurs?

I tend to see a lot of amateurs hit a driver and 3 wood equally bad.

I see the opposite. I do it myself as well. Shorter club means more control.

I think that had more to due with loft anyways.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

This and the fact that length has a lot to do with control. I get the feeling that this club would be just as hard to control as a driver, but give you a little less distance. Though I would think having a 3 wood head would make it easier to hit the center of the face more often.

Exactly... This isn't a shorter club. No more control IMO.

I think it would sell if people knew Phil was driving the ball 322 yards avg with a 3 wood. Longer sells, most amateurs especially recreational don't know any better and will buy it even if it doesn't fit their game. For me, the #3deep is a no brainer, as long as a driver and more accurate. I'm sold.

In general, yes I agree. But in reality, I still don't see a market for a 2wood.

Absolutely. Sign me up right now. I love driving with my 3 wood and would kill for it to go somewhat as far as driver. I just don't hit many fairways with a driver, never have.

I thought it played to 3w length?

I don't think so. I believe it is essentially a smaller driver. Same length and loft, just with a smaller head. It would probably launch lower and give you slightly less ball speed than a driver, but would be easier to work both ways.

In general, yes I agree. But in reality, I still don't see a market for a 2wood.

I'd buy it. I know a lot of guys that I play with that probably would too. But obviously that sample size is pretty small. You're right, on a global or national basis, it may not.

I'd buy it. I know a lot of guys that I play with that probably would too. But obviously that sample size is pretty small. You're right, on a global or national basis, it may not.

Now, as a special order item available through the website only? That I could see.

Now, as a special order item available through the website only? That I could see.

Hmm that's a good way around it. I like it.

There appears to be a lot of confusion between the Phrankenwood and the 3-deep.

I would totally buy it. Unless Phil takes it out of the bag before this happens.

My understanding is that Phil's pharnkenwood is a 250cc, 8.5* loft, the smaller head gives him more roll out on drives. I am not sure of the length but I think it is no longer than 45". Not sure how many amateurs would want a 8.5*, 3-wood.

A good substitute is the Tour Edge Exotics XCG-5 or XCG-6, 3++ wood at 11.5* and 43.5" shaft. I have one and it is a very good club.

Back