PGA TourCaddie (formerly Golfshot GPS)

I tried to use it today and I didn't watch the demo and all that first....I got really frustrated and switched back to GolfShot after the 3rd hole.

I have not seen it on Google play.

This thing looks robust enough that an Android build is going to take some time. Their UI has always been top notch, so a universal build for Android probably isn't something they would sign off on.

I tried to use it today and I didn't watch the demo and all that first....I got really frustrated and switched back to GolfShot after the 3rd hole.

Are you related to my wife? That's something she would do. I've already deleted GolfShot, so I guess I'm going to have to get used to it fast. (Or re-download as a last resort)

Are you related to my wife? That's something she would do. I've already deleted GolfShot, so I guess I'm going to have to get used to it fast. (Or re-download as a last resort)

I am sure it will be fine...but I downloaded it right before I left for the round....the graphics looked great and the flyovers are cool...you can enter your driver distance and your PW distance and it will calculate the rest of your clubs to use for the club suggestion part.

I got the first tee at the course we played today....short 330 yard par 4 with a slight dogleg right and the app told me to hit 4H to the center of the dogleg....I said...screw you and hit driver over the dogleg to about 50 yards...LOL

I am sure it will be fine...but I downloaded it right before I left for the round....the graphics looked great and the flyovers are cool...you can enter your driver distance and your PW distance and it will calculate the rest of your clubs to use for the club suggestion part.

I got the first tee at the course we played today....short 330 yard par 4 with a slight dogleg right and the app told me to hit 4H to the center of the dogleg....I said...screw you and hit driver over the dogleg to about 50 yards...LOL

That's the smart caddie. You can change him to aggressive.

That's the smart caddie. You can change him to aggressive.

ive tried both smart caddie and aggressive, but nothing changes?! still the same club suggetions...

also, if you look at an old scorecard, it says "round details" under it tells your score, and GIRs, FW, putts per hole, but there is also a driver infront of it, and it says -1. What does that mean?

also, if you look at an old scorecard, it says "round details" under it tells your score, and GIRs, FW, putts per hole, but there is also a driver infront of it, and it says -1. What does that mean?

ive tried both smart caddie and aggressive, but nothing changes?! still the same club suggetions...

I have not had either of those issues pop up.

When I turned aggressive on it stopped recommending 3 shots to Par 5's.

Also when I look at old scorecards they look fine. Maybe you can post a pic of yours?

Are you allowed to use tech caddy tips during a competitive round? I thought gps was ok as long as only giving passive info and not suggestions..?
(but ready to be corrected!)

Tips from an app clearly violate the rules of golf. Distance is the only thing allowed under USGA rules. I certainly don't care if someone uses an app like this during a round as long as it is not causing them to play slower. For me, the last thing I want is someone in my foresome or some app telling me what to do on a golf course. Give me a distance and I'll figure it out from there.

I spent some time playing around with it last night....got it all figured out....Ill give it another try later today

I'll give it a go, but since I don't need GPS info that much, scorecard & stats is what I need, I might stick to Golfshot (I've got the GPS version, I use the GPS info, maybe for 2-3 shots per 10 rounds, when there's fog or something that I can't use the rangefinder.)

I've had golf shot for years and love it. This looks like it blows it out of the water. Love it messing around at work. Transferred all my rounds over no problem. Already changed caddie to "aggressive"

1370794924156.jpg

1370795022586.jpg

These 2 are taken last week. Says i got 21 points on a 8,2 hcp

these 2 are from today...

1370795264869.jpg

1370795369234.jpg

Same course. Same hcp. Only one stroke worse. But 5 points difference....

1370796120355.jpg

1370796215802.jpg

A par 5. With smartcaddie on. Second shot i have to carry a 1 hybrid 210 over the trees. Not so smart smartcaddie?! Same thing goes if i turn on the aggressive...

Tips from an app clearly violate the rules of golf. Distance is the only thing allowed under USGA rules. I certainly don't care if someone uses an app like this during a round as long as it is not causing them to play slower. For me, the last thing I want is someone in my foresome or some app telling me what to do on a golf course. Give me a distance and I'll figure it out from there.

Even if it says "hug the left side of the fairway because there is an unseen pond on the right"...?

You aim down the center and push it a touch. Kerplunk. Seems like your ego doesn't ever want help, even when it's got a good intention.

Sounds a touch stubborn to me. Tour pros take help any way they legally possibly can.

1370796120355.jpg

1370796215802.jpg

A par 5. With smartcaddie on. Second shot i have to carry a 1 hybrid 210 over the trees. Not so smart smartcaddie?! Same thing goes if i turn on the aggressive...

But 210 isn't a big carry. And it looks pretty wide open down there. With your hcp its telling you that it isn't a high risk play

I could see it slowing things down on the course. Measuring shots, adding scores watching previews. Only downside I think it's pretty cool and I'll still give it a go ASAP.

Used this for the first time today instead of the regular GolfShot. It does have some nice features but seems a bit sluggish and unresponsive at times compared to GS. The flyover is awesome. I prefer the one-click to scorecard and advancing holes to te swipe. Never took on the first swipe. On average I was moving the curser on the hole I just finished when finger swiping 3-4 times before it would advance to te scorecard.

But 210 isn't a big carry. And it looks pretty wide open down there. With your hcp its telling you that it isn't a high risk play

Its not that wide. And turning 40-45 degrees to the right. And its metric. So its 210 meters, thats 231 yards... So 231 yards carry and need to hit a perfect fade. OB on Both left and right... 4 bunkers around the Green.... Not that safe?!

Just downloaded this today and entered in my clubs...such a cool UI vs. the skydroid gps I was using... can't wait to try it on course

I have golfshot and as I can't use my iphone in competitive rounds I'll stick with it for now.

I have been using it and I like the distances and preview interface but the golfshot score entry is much nicer imho. There also seems to be issues with the stableford scoring system... Golfshot is much more stable here.

I have a question, does anyone know how to change the preferred tee and approach clubs? I randomly choose 3-wood and lop wedge in the first setup and that screws up my recommendations.

I am still not really impressed with this....just seems more clumsy than golfshot to me.

You know with golfshot GPS, am I allowed to use this in a competition ?

It looks more modern but at the end of the day if I can't use it for competitions and handicap rounds then it's not worth the money. My course is well marked so I only need GPS when visiting other courses. Therefore I would only really use it for logging stats.

On a related note I've checked out Rule 14-3 which explains that distance measuring devices (including smartphones) are not allowed unless there is a local rule (I won't go into all the detail). I assume that means that the paid version of Golfshot would not be allowed even if you didn't use the GPS, simply because the app has the ability to use GPS and also suggest clubs. Whether you use the function seems to be irrelevant. The rule is simply based on whether the device has the ability to break the rules.

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct?

I don't think the free Golfshot app is still available anymore which is annoying because I just want to be able to track my stats.

Back