Struggling from inside 100.

Cparker06

Reaction score
Handicap
I have struggles with that same shot. So grain of salt.

I would widen your stance a hair. The closer together my feet get, the swing becomes arm dominate.

When I hit a bad shot inside 100 it's almost always a deceleration issue. Now I'm by no means a swing guru so take this for what it is.

As mentioned above, widen the stance to get more lower body into it, trust and hold the lag without flipping the hands, and attack the ball without decelerating.

I always remember Gary Player talking about decel and how we always "strike the match". Can't strike a match slowing down as you slide it. Same with a golf shot.

I agree with blugold about widening your stance. My advice would be to also open the stance a bit and take the club more straight back instead of pulling it inside. At impact keep the hands low and left, and feel like you're using more chest than arms. I'd start with short pitch shots taking the club back waist high and follow thru the same. 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

Try driving your right knee toward the ball. This will engage the lower half of your body and give you a more consistent strike zone. There is nothing wrong with arm swing as long as you're swing to a finish. Back swing should be matched by follow through

I am no swing expert, but what has helped me is keeping my head down. Watch the ball being struck by the club. It looked like on the thin shot you hit, your head was looking at the target before the ball was struck. Also, it looks like you flip your wrist on the follow through instead of powering through it.

Try driving your right knee toward the ball. This will engage the lower half of your body and give you a more consistent strike zone. There is nothing wrong with arm swing as long as you're swing to a finish. Back swing should be matched by follow through

Generally speaking Freddie, do you think an arm swing at that distance, 75 yards, will limit a golfer's ability to control distance and trajectory?

If you have perseverance, I would suggest getting the Short Game Bible by Pelz. His 3X4 system can be an absolute game changer if you work hard at it

Thanks to Freddie for finding and contributing to these threads where people request help.

I agree with blugold about widening your stance. My advice would be to also open the stance a bit and take the club more straight back instead of pulling it inside. At impact keep the hands low and left, and feel like you're using more chest than arms. I'd start with short pitch shots taking the club back waist high and follow thru the same. 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock.

I've been using the towel drill and it has helped my short game tremendously :thumb:

Shorten that backswing and accelerate through the ball with an abbreviated follow-through! I have been working on this technique all spring and it has paid dividends (especially at the NE invitational).

Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully get to play some this weekend and give it a shot

Shorten that backswing and accelerate through the ball with an abbreviated follow-through! I have been working on this technique all spring and it has paid dividends (especially at the NE invitational).

You should give mikedean a lesson in this very topic. If he straightens out that chipping and those short pitches he's gonna be on fire. And I think the deceleration we were talking about is all that's holding him back.

I'd tell him, but I think he'd take it in better from you who is a bit better player.

Def agree with the deceleration issue through the ball. One drill I do is picking out a flag stick about 50yds away and with different clubs see how short I can make the backswing and still hit it to the flag (comfortably). Initiating the swing with my lower half.

I try working out at the range how far I take it back and how far the ball travels. 3/4 with the 58 about 70 yards, for example. Other than that I change nothing. Half and 3/4 shots are tough, even pros try to leave themselves full swings.

Back