Firefox Memory Leak?

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I am currently using Firefox 3.5.3 with just a few add-ons.

The past 10 days or so, I have started having a pretty serious memory leak associated with Firefox. It slowly uses more and more memory until it gets very slow to respond. Using task manager, I've seen it as high as 500MB.

Through Googling, I've seen some other people talk about it, but I want to check here first before I try anything. What perplexes me is that it just recently started and it doesn't coincide with the addition of any add-ons or any other programs (that I can recall.) I run a nightly virus scan, which hasn't found anything and I run a "cleaner" which also hasn't found anything except the usual cookies, cache, etc.

Anyone else run into this problem that seemed to materialize out of nowhere?

I have not, but you are the 2nd person in 2 days that has said the exact same thing to me. I wonder if it is a plug in issue? I use virtually none on my laptop but both you and the other person that mentioned both use them. Hmmmm...Very interesting.

I use FF religiously, but dont take every update....
Thus I am still at 3.0.14 and only using about 75MB with 2 Tabs open...

I use Firefox on my office laptop, but run IE on this home machine and my office desktop. I have noticed lately that FF has been very slow to load when I boot up in the morning on the laptop. Perhaps I am experiencing the same thing.

Are you sure that the memory leak is in the computer?

We're not getting any younger, you know...

-JP

Harry, it's my understanding that this has been a known Firefox problem. Do you leave your computer on at all times? I think that rebooting temporarily fixes the issue. So, people who turn their computers on/off daily don't normally ever notice it, but those leave their computers on do.

All that being said, I don't really understand what causes it or if a permanent fix exists.

I used to use FF and had problems with it. I have used Opera for the last couple of years and have had no problems with it at all.

Most of the IT guys in my company run Firefox. I don't think they do it because it is a superior browser. I think they do it because our "big brother" program cannot track web activity as well as it can with IE.

I use FF on my laptop. For the most part I don't have any issues. I have thought about switching but I have so many things saved in my bookmarks and while I am sure there is a simple way to move them I have no idea how so I just stick with FF.

Back