Walking In My Line

Diane

Reaction score
I knew 2 of the women in my 4-some today, but it was the first time I had met the other. She was very nice and a good golfer, but she walked in everyone's line all day. The funny thing was that she would avoid one person's line only to hop on another's. It happened on every hole. Since we're women - no one said anything. It rained all day yesterday and the greens were still a bit mushy. Do you guys speak up when someone does this or just let it go?

Sure I will. Maybe not the first time it happens, but if they keep doing it, and it becomes a problem, I will mention something to the person. Especially if it someone I brought with me, and/or the culprit is wearing shoes with spikes, and does not know how to walk on greens when wearing them. I am not a bashful person. Pretty laid back, but definitely not bashful.

Sounds like the lady in your group who was stepping in the second line had tunnel vision. I have seen this before. The person sees the first line, but does not take into account any other lines.

Last edited:
Sounds like the lady in your group who was stepping in the second line had tunnel vision. I have seen this before. The person see the first line, but does not take into account any other lines.

In her defense, it is difficult to see markers in the Autumn sun, but the rest of us would ask where someone was if we didn't see their marker.

It depends on the greens. If I really feel like it is affecting the roll I would say something, especially after she did it more than once. I try to just joke about things like that, get the point across without embarrassing the person.

I definitely speak up, I'm no golf snob when it comes to rule breakers and such, but to me that is a part of the etiquite of the game. I usually will say something to buddy aside from everyone as not to embarass or "call them out", because some newer players may not know. I usually will find a polite way to say it, as not sound like I am scolding them.

IMO, its ridicules to whine about someone stepping on your putting line. People walk all over the greens all day long, anyone who think that somone stepping on your line is going to send your ball offline needs to get real and grow up.

I agree, however, if it were a tournament I would maybe say something depending on the condition of the greens. If they are hard as a rock, then them stepping on your line isn't going to do much and if there is an impression walk over fix it and point it out. But chances are if you are in a tournament the others know not to walk over each others lines.

I try to avoid stepping on other peoples lines, but I don't worry about it if someone steps on mine. The greens that I play on are so hard that it really makes no difference. I usually play with the same people and we're all pretty easy going.

Happened to me on Friday. One of the group of strangers I was paired with walked all over my line on almost every hole. It was just a 9 hole practice round for me, so I just let it go. The greens were rock hard and he was not even leaving a mark, so why bother.

Like others, if it were a tournament, I would have said something.

I knew 2 of the women in my 4-some today, but it was the first time I had met the other. She was very nice and a good golfer, but she walked in everyone's line all day. The funny thing was that she would avoid one person's line only to hop on another's. It happened on every hole. Since we're women - no one said anything. It rained all day yesterday and the greens were still a bit mushy. Do you guys speak up when someone does this or just let it go?

Sorry, but this cracked me up! It's generally the women playing in our group who speak up about these things. I alway's seem to notice, but don't really care, especially this time of year with leaves and twigs all over the greens. Our group today had a lady who jumped on one of the guy's for teeing off when he "didn't have the box". We were 2 foursomes in a benefit tourney.

Yes, they should show the proper etiquite, but yes we were there for fun.

I can only speak for the women that I play with regularly. None of us are shrinking violets - we're all well educated women in our 40's who work and have no issues with saying anything in the workplace (or in my case here on the forum), but we are non-confrontational in social settings.

I can appreciate strong minded women, I think they should speak their mind if they feel strongly about something. However, my point is that sometimes they can see a problem in something I toss off as a non-issue. THAT is NOT to say they are WRONG or that I am right! It all works out in the end because we seem to gravitate to the friends we most resemble or relate to. Or, that person who complements us.

My statement, in re-reading it, was not meat to offend. Hope I did not!

I would have said something in a humorous kind of way then a little more serious if she kept it up.

Back