Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

Sad to say that my XH are a mere shell of themselves. All that remain in the bag are the 5-6i. Just seemed to be too much lack of distance consistency in the shorter clubs. Seemed a well struck pw for example could go anywhere from 120-135 at any given time. Distance control from the 7 down was killing me.

Still love the forgiveness in the mid irons and I don't see them leaving any time soon.

Don't feel sad bro, I couldn't get on with them either. Great looking irons but they just don't perform consistently enough for me. Launch was god-awful and feel was just mediocre at best. For the money, there's much better options IMO. No offense to you guys that love them, they're just not for everybody...

Don't feel sad bro, I couldn't get on with them either. Great looking irons but they just don't perform consistently enough for me. Launch was god-awful and feel was just mediocre at best. For the money, there's much better options IMO. No offense to you guys that love them, they're just not for everybody...

It was unfortunate. I'm striking the ball too good at the moment to struggle with distance control so often. If you notice the sig, I may one of few with two 6 irons in the bag. It does look odd but they gap perfectly.

It was unfortunate. I'm striking the ball too good at the moment to struggle with distance control so often. If you notice the sig, I may one of few with two 6 irons in the bag. It does look odd but they gap perfectly.

Haha, I didn't even pay attention. You're definitely in the minority of that distinct group...

It is sad when you know you're swinging well and the arrow doesn't perform!!!

Out of curiosity, why do you think the irons don't perform for you, but perform for tour pros? Is it the quality of the iron or something specific in your swing?

Out of curiosity, why do you think the irons don't perform for you, but perform for tour pros? Is it the quality of the iron or something specific in your swing?

Specifically, they would not launch in the 7, 6, & 5 irons. I ordered mine with KBS Tour S flex. They felt harsh, boardy and the trajectory would decapitate knee-caps, WAY too low!! I ordered the Tours to offset the stronger lofts but not lose feel and spin characteristics I've become accustom to with KBS shafts. All this being said, I did like the 8, 9, & W and launch was fine with them. If the 7, 6, & 5 were the same we'd be having a different conversation...

Went to Ping i20s with C-Taper S and trajectory is perfect (mid-high and piercing) and feel is great throughout the set. Like I said earlier, I'm not looking to bash the irons or criticize them as junk because they're not, but they're not for everyone either. And it bothers me because I demoed a 6-iron several times before buying with a KBS Tour S shaft in it. Neither do I think it's something specific in my swing because I know my swing and I wouldn't/shouldn't be able to launch a C-Taper shafted iron higher than a Tour with a huge amounts of trajectory differences. The irons just didn't work and were all wrong for me...

I did. I have the gap wedge and sand wedge in the XHot and 6-PW in XHot Pro. I really wanted a gap wedge and sand wedge and they were not available in LH in the Pro version. It does not bother me at all, and I think they will both fill gaps and give a little added confidence to go at pins 100 yards and in instead of just going for the center of the green.

Very interesting, do the Cally wedges not come in Lefty, or are you just more comfortable with the ones from the set? Or was it not an option?

Specifically, they would not launch in the 7, 6, & 5 irons. I ordered mine with KBS Tour S flex. They felt harsh, boardy and the trajectory would decapitate knee-caps, WAY too low!! I ordered the Tours to offset the stronger lofts but not lose feel and spin characteristics I've become accustom to with KBS shafts. All this being said, I did like the 8, 9, & W and launch was fine with them. If the 7, 6, & 5 were the same we'd be having a different conversation...

Went to Ping i20s with C-Taper S and trajectory is perfect (mid-high and piercing) and feel is great throughout the set. Like I said earlier, I'm not looking to bash the irons or criticize them as junk because they're not, but they're not for everyone either. And it bothers me because I demoed a 6-iron several times before buying with a KBS Tour S shaft in it. Neither do I think it's something specific in my swing because I know my swing and I wouldn't/shouldn't be able to launch a C-Taper shafted iron higher than a Tour with a huge amounts of trajectory differences. The irons just didn't work and were all wrong for me...

I find this extremely interesting to me. I have the XHP's, KBS Tour S, and the launch and trajectory is perfect for me, all the way from 4i thru PW. The 3i is the only one I have issue with launch, but at the same time, it's a 3i... What type of swing do you have? More flat or digging? I'm just trying to figure out what causes it to be off for some, and great for others.

Dan

I still say it had to be a shaft issue, the KBS were not giving me great numbers either, but the S300's were giving me a great flight. Just goes to show you that way more goes into shaft fitting than just what "should" launch well for you.

Thanks to Sparksjr, my excitement to get these in doubled after yesteday. During the round I came to realize Sparks had the XHP's with S300 in them, my exact setup. They were 3/4" shorter than the ones I ordered, and 2 degrees flat compared to my 2 upright, so there were some differences there. I hit them twice, both shots were exciting to see. The first was a 185 yard par 3 with no wind felt. I hit a ball that was was well out on the toe... and made it to the back half of the green, dead center. I couldn't believe not only the lack of distance loss I saw, but also the straight flight I got out of a mishit. The next shot was a 179 yard par 3, I took a 7 iron, and aimed towards the left edge since I had been seeing a slight push/fade all day, and there was water right. I hit this one well, probably pulled it 2 yards offline, and hit it about 185... with a 7 iron.

I think I'm going to like these, alot.

I would have said the XHP is a higher launching head than the RXTs they replaced, if anything they're on the verge of being too high launching with the PXIs for me - different strokes I suppose.

Very interesting, do the Cally wedges not come in Lefty, or are you just more comfortable with the ones from the set? Or was it not an option?
Dan

They do offer the wedges in LH, and I will be adding a 60*, but I really wanted to give the ones in the set a chance. No real crazy thought in it, just figured I would give them a go. So far I have really liked them too.

I would have said the XHP is a higher launching head than the RXTs they replaced, if anything they're on the verge of being too high launching with the PXIs for me - different strokes I suppose.

This is what I'm saying, it must be impact position on the clubface which for me starts about the second groove...

I still say it had to be a shaft issue, the KBS were not giving me great numbers either, but the S300's were giving me a great flight. Just goes to show you that way more goes into shaft fitting than just what "should" launch well for you.

I think I'm going to like these, alot.

It could've been the shaft I suppose but I contacted my rep at Callaway about the issue 3 times and to say he wasn't very helpful is an understatement. Also, I ordered my clubs directly through Callaway and not a retailer. Which is the main reason I just went a different direction. They wanted to offer me $35/iron trade-in toward another set with different shafts and these clubs were less than 30 days old. This is very poor customer service and I'm pretty much done with Callaway just because of this. I really like my X Hot Pro 4-wood and 3 hybrid but once those are replaced I'll always go to another brand...

I find this extremely interesting to me. I have the XHP's, KBS Tour S, and the launch and trajectory is perfect for me, all the way from 4i thru PW. The 3i is the only one I have issue with launch, but at the same time, it's a 3i... What type of swing do you have? More flat or digging? I'm just trying to figure out what causes it to be off for some, and great for others.

Dan

Dan, my swing is more of a classic swing. Playing off of a 5 HC I take a medium to shallow divot in the short and mid-irons with just a sliver of turf on the longer irons and hybrids. Honestly, I think the irons are for those who don't take much of a divot at all. It seems the lower the ball impacts on the clubface the better the results. I'm 42 and I've played since I was 5 (and not to sound condescending) I know within a few swings what works and what doesn't.

Also, I'm not trying to bad-mouth Callaway. I'm just sharing my experience. They make some fine clubs but I really feel they should have done more for me as a customer than they attempted. I'm just disappointed in the service, the rep and now the brand...

I read on here from somebody that they got the PXi shafts in the XHP irons for no upcharge from Callaway. Am I correct?

I read on here from somebody that they got the PXi shafts in the XHP irons for no upcharge from Callaway. Am I correct?

PXi are an up charge for the x hot pros come standard in x forged. I have the PXi in mine and they are very low launching. Probably to low.

PXi are an up charge for the x hot pros come standard in x forged. I have the PXi in mine and they are very low launching. Probably to low.

Really? They were higher than the CFS in my PING i20's. Of course I had 6.0, not 6.5.

Really? They were higher than the CFS in my PING i20's. Of course I had 6.0, not 6.5.

yep mine are launching very low. i should have gone stiff flex i think.

yep mine are launching very low. i should have gone stiff flex i think.

You probably deloft your irons quite a bit though, huh? I would think you have to with how low you hit your driver at the distance you do. Most guys that hit the driver that long hit the ball a mile high, and you don't. So I figure it's probably in the irons as well.

I got the PXIs in mine and no upcharge but that's the UK

Callaway and Callaway Europe are separate. Some things differ between them. Nothing major mind you but the upcharge may be one of them

The excitement is mounting. I want my irons, now! Looks like Callaway is shipping them on Monday, so they should be here on Wednesday!

You probably deloft your irons quite a bit though, huh? I would think you have to with how low you hit your driver at the distance you do. Most guys that hit the driver that long hit the ball a mile high, and you don't. So I figure it's probably in the irons as well.

i dunno usually with my irons and driver i'm much higher lots of options this year to lower my spin so i'm seeing much lower launch that i'm used to.

i dunno usually with my irons and driver i'm much higher lots of options this year to lower my spin so i'm seeing much lower launch that i'm used to.

I look forward to its hitting each other's irons, what length are your irons.

I pasted this from the Ponder thread:

Went to GG today and the guy was the most helpful one there. Hit I20, AMP Forged, JPX-825 Pro, and Callaway X Hot Pro. I'm sorry if my views don't match yours, this is all just my opinion.

4th Place: Mizuno JPX-825 Pro

While they felt good, they weren't conducive to my "style". By that I mean I see who would use them and I'm not them. Feel was 3rd best (sorry), and look was 3rd best. Distance was half a club less than the leader. Forgiveness was the worst, literally worse than the MP-59 (which I loved). I can see why people love it, but I don't.

3rd Place: PING I20

When caught well the felt good, but mishits didn't feel well. Overall, they were the worst-feeling irons. Distance-wise they were about half a club shorter than the winner. Looks was the worst, but still good. All these clubs were pretty IMO. 3rd most forgiving, hooked it more than the others because of offset. Not bad, but surprised that I didn't love it.

2nd Place: Cobra AMP Forged

Loved these. Feel was the best, looks was the 2nd best. Looked a tad too chunky IMO. Felt really nice and soft. Distance was about the same as the leader. Was 2nd most forgiving. The shaft was a bit too stiff for me, so I leaked a couple right.

1st Place: Callaway X Hot Pro

These were awesome. Feel was the 2nd best. Went really far. Looked the best. Very forgiving. Just a great club. Loving this ponder.

Loving my XHot Pro irons. Great feel, great distance. The misses are forgiving but also give the proper feedback for a mishit. Looking forward to spending lots more quality time with them before Myrtle.

Ok, so the second round went a heck of a lot better than the first. My ball striking was back to where I expected it to be and it is now just a question of getting distances dialed in, with one exception. Does anybody know the phone number for a voodoo priestess names Phyllis? I have got to get the curse off of my 6 iron. I have no idea why, but I cannot find the sweet spot on the face with it. Crushing everything else, just got a mental block going. Also, I love having a gap wedge back in the bag. I forgot how much I like using one around the greens and have chipped in with it twice in the last 27 holes. The only issue that I am seeing now is that I have lost my very reliable fade and am hitting these dead straight. I know you are thinking how could straight be a problem, but when you have been playing a reliable fade for the netter part of 3 decades and it is suddenly gone it causes problems, but nothing I can't get used too by the time TMC gets here.

My X-Hot Pros are in the mail as of about lunch time today! Oh man. Only a couple more days of waiting. It's gonna go by sooo slow! :D

Got a range day in with my XHP's yesterday. Continually impressed with these, was absolutely smoking them, straight, maybe a baby draw, piercing flight, that peaks near the end of the flight, and FAR FAR FAR

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Back