Taylormade R9 TP Irons Unboxing

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The TP version of the R9 irons arrived at our offices and we wanted to get some pictures up for everybody to see the difference. In case you missed our other thread, here is the thread for the regular R9 Irons from Taylormade.

THP Breaking News - Taylormade R9 Irons - The Hackers Paradise

We have included pictures of our regular R9 Irons so that you can compare head size, etc....

694576460_dEGdn-L-1.jpg

694576312_3Kwyi-L-1.jpg

694576279_jKZXu-L-1.jpg

694576422_UmwPk-L-1.jpg

694576619_iZvY8-L-1.jpg

694576562_7Jdxd-L-1.jpg

694576513_ts8Wm-L-1.jpg

694576540_y3PMx-L-1.jpg

They even look like they will feel magnificent on every shot.

I'm really glad TaylorMade is moving to simpler, cleaner looking clubs. Glad to see no fancy graphics, ridges, bumps, colors, etc.

• Admin
I'm really glad TaylorMade is moving to simpler, cleaner looking clubs. Glad to see no fancy graphics, ridges, bumps, colors, etc.

I agree. These are gorgeous as was the non TP version.

Very nice, but quessing this to be too much club for my game. It will be fun trying...

Very nice. If I didn't care where my ball went, these would be right up there on my list!

• Admin
Very nice. If I didn't care where my ball went, these would be right up there on my list!

Do not forget that the R9 line has the regular and the TP and both have a similar look. One is more towards GI and one this one is more Players Cavity.

These will get some early testing today from 4 different golfers on both the range and the course. We will report back some early thoughts.

We will have a full report on these tomorrow. They were played by myself and 3 other individuals and the early thoughts are similar to the regular R9 irons. Extremely well liked.

Here is the early report from the testers.

Look: Many of the golfers involved preferred the TP look compared to the R9 look because of the more compact headsize. To me, both sets look great, but I understand that many prefer the thinner top line and smaller overall size. The cavity is the same design other than the added TP logo. Our initial thoughts of the overall looks is that we really like them.

Feel: Once again Taylormade has really brought me in. I did not care for most of the R7 line as I have said before in the feel department. I felt as though the R7 line of irons felt a little too hard. These are completely different in that department. Like the regular R9's these feel soft and smooth and when good contact is made and the ball is well struck you get that "perfect feeling". But what separates the R9 line (regular and TP) is that mishits still feel soft and smooth. Something we are just not used to.

Distance: I am finding a little more distance out of the regular R9 line to the R9 TP, but it is just our early findings and once we test them more thoroughly this will be updated. I am a full club longer (maybe even more) with the regular R9 and with the TP, I am about a half club longer.

Performance: On the course yesterday we had 4 golfers total playing these irons and the results were really strong. Each person took a few holes getting the distance dialed in, but after each shot, you saw grins and smiles. The overall consensus when describing these irons was SMOOTH. Penetrating ball flight, completely workable either way and up and down, and quite a bit forgiving. I personally still like the more forgiveness offered in the R9 line, but the other 3 testers preferred the TP line.

Do not forget that the R9 line has the regular and the TP and both have a similar look. One is more towards GI and one this one is more Players Cavity.
Yes, I really like the way those R9s look as well. I see you're playing those. If that's the case, with all the options available to you, they must be a great set!

Brief First Impressions of my R9 TP's

Brief First Impressions of my R9 TP's

I got my R9 tp's in the mail yesterday! They are astonishing. I had been trying to find any reviews on line and they all talked about the aesthetics, so I will not spend time on that. After unpacking them and swinging them on the carpet in the living room as if it were Christmas morning, I made a few observations that caught me off guard that I have not heard elsewhere:

1st, The Grips- the grips are not Golf Pride, at least they do not say golf pride on the grip, they are clean of any label othere than saying "Taylormade" on the top of the grip. They are quite similar to the Tour Velvet that they have included on many of their former high end players clubs, possibly a tad softer.

2nd, The Long Irons (3-5)- These were shockingly fat on the bottom. I mean, thicker than the r7 tp's by 1/2 cm. When hitting them on the range, and then on the course, the added area really seemed to add a lot more hittable area (ie forgiveness) to the club face. The drawback, however, is you can see its backend when you are at address. For those who are not used to this, it can be a huge drawback. I compared them to my R7 tp's, they are truely much more forgiving without sacrificing the ability to work the ball left-right-up-&-down. They do not have a cavity on the back, which the rest of the set cannot claim. Next to hitting a blade these were the softest feeling long irons I have played with.

3rd, The perimeter weighting- These have more weight towards the toe. Comparing again with the R7 tp's, TM really moved a lot of weight to the outside. Personally, I think it leads to a more balanced weighted club. I noticed it in my take away, which was different at first. On the course when playing a fade over a pond with my 5, I had a better sense of how open my club face was at impact, which lead to a confident swing and a great shot. Call it new club luck, but that Bird tasted great!

My overall first impressions are positive for sure. There was really no distance gain achieved (3 yards average gain, on a drizzly day) that was noticeable. I love the feel, not a clicky as the r7 tp's (some didn't like this, I had a "soft spot" for it :). I really felt, as I mentioned, a great feel for what the club was doing. I didn't mention the shaft, the FST KBS Tour, but I believe this had much to do with my sense of what was taking place in my back swing. It is forgiving, and I would say this is a club that the mid-handicappers could easily grow into. If you are wanting to improve ball striking with a little more incentive and less punishment on off center strikes with a "players" style iron, then these are for you. If you prefer the clean look of a blade at address with your long irons, then try these or borrow a buddy's before you plop down a grand on them. They are still worth trying, but no one should shop blindly, unless you have the money to lose or you find a great deal... Even still, it's a bad idea to shop blindly.

Obviously, it will take me more time to fully review these clubs. But I know that a lot of you, like myself, want to find out more info and opinions, so hopefully you enjoy! If you have questions, feel free to ask. I could put pics up on Sunday, but it really isn't necessary since JB just put some up in a different post. :clapp:

These are out for testing with 4 different people today. Should have initial thoughts for you coming up today or tomorrow.

I hit the r9 TP 6 iron at my local store today and was impressed. the clubs are strong but with a light comfortable feel. I hit the 6 iron 10 times avg. 205 yards that's a 5-8 yard gain for me. I was looking to upgrade and at the price offered I purchased a set 3-PW. I've already taken my old clubs out of the bag but they (r9's) won't be here till Thurs. or Friday.

Looks like these R9 TP's are going like hotcakes. Reminds me of the R9 Drivers when they hit the market. That was a great read LobShot, can't wait to hear more as you guy's really get tuned in to them.

I am curious if you guy's were fully fitted for these or just ordered to your spec's?

P.S. Welcome aboard THP

Looks like these R9 TP's are going like hotcakes. Reminds me of the R9 Drivers when they hit the market. That was a great read LobShot, can't wait to hear more as you guy's really get tuned in to them.

I am curious if you guy's were fully fitted for these or just ordered to your spec's?

P.S. Welcome aboard THP

I ordered mine to my specs and when they arrive I'm taking them over to my store to get fitted to my exact measurements.

I ordered mine to my specs and when they arrive I'm taking them over to my store to get fitted to my exact measurements.

Out of curiosity, why did you not get fitted for them first? They are cast clubs made of a harder metal, so what we are hearing is 2* of bending on these after the fact. Possibly more if a guy is VERY good.

Out of curiosity, why did you not get fitted for them first? They are cast clubs made of a harder metal, so what we are hearing is 2* of bending on these after the fact. Possibly more if a guy is VERY good.

I get golf equipment at wholesale prices and so they don't offer customizing of the clubs. I was semi-fitted prior to buying them and fit to length on each club. I would like to order fitted but don't have the option.

my guy is very good but I'll see when they get here. did u mean 2% bending?

I meant 2* bending. 2 degrees. I have not heard of bending at a percent.

I meant 2* bending. 2 degrees. I have not heard of bending at a percent.

I play my clubs bent flat. Varying from 2 degrees to 3 degrees. I'm 6'2" but I have a flat swing and it's amazing the amount of difference it makes getting your lie set perfect. Standard specs or specs that you think might work for a specific set of clubs will never be as good as getting fit for that specific set of clubs. It will allow you to put the best possible shot on the ball no matter the situation at hand. I think its the most important part of an iron regardless of make, brand, or any other factor.

P.S. Welcome aboard THP

So here is my follow up: I have played 6 rounds with them and I am thoroughly impressed. Where the r7 tp's seemed flat, these really get the ball up fast and keep it up. I am getting more hang time with these irons, and I personally love it. The sound typically found in TM irons is certainly there, but much more muted vs the R7 line. I am very aware of where the ball is struck and I feel the shaft is very honest in communicating if I am off even slightly. This does not translate into very much loss of distance, however. I really like this fact, because it opens up the door for some really creative shots using more of the club face.
More distance on off center shots in a players club is a very deadly tool when used by a great ball striker, which I am sure is the reason for so many TM tour pro's converting to this new iron so quickly and seamlessly. My conclusion about my "percieved" gain in distance is that it has more to do with the forgiveness between the two players clubs and less to do with added distance to my game. Ergo, I could have hit it this long on a perfect strike (and did occasionally) with my former clubs, but only when I hit the sweet spot perfectly.
Now, my new found consistancy in distance can be attributed to a little larger of a sweet spot. Like the rest of the R9 line of products, these are clubs that fit great now, but still have an endless amount of untold room to grow into. They continue the lines simple elegance aesthetically as well. I still think traditionalists will be the only ones who will take issue with these over the "combo-set-ness" design they have (if you will). But once they hit them, all I have to say is "Green Eggs & Ham": Once you get over it, they are even better than the original ;)

Nice review LobShot. You got my itch back up to go out and hit these. I've never been one to have a full matched set of clubs, but am heading that direction it seems. I love my R9 driver, R9 3wood, and 2 hybrids, along with the TaylorMade Penta balls. Now this, lol. However, I am still on the fence because of the Cleveland Irons.

I got my R9 tp's in the mail yesterday! They are astonishing. I had been trying to find any reviews on line and they all talked about the aesthetics, so I will not spend time on that. After unpacking them and swinging them on the carpet in the living room as if it were Christmas morning, I made a few observations that caught me off guard that I have not heard elsewhere:

1st, The Grips- the grips are not Golf Pride, at least they do not say golf pride on the grip, they are clean of any label othere than saying "Taylormade" on the top of the grip. They are quite similar to the Tour Velvet that they have included on many of their former high end players clubs, possibly a tad softer.

2nd, The Long Irons (3-5)- These were shockingly fat on the bottom. I mean, thicker than the r7 tp's by 1/2 cm. When hitting them on the range, and then on the course, the added area really seemed to add a lot more hittable area (ie forgiveness) to the club face. The drawback, however, is you can see its backend when you are at address. For those who are not used to this, it can be a huge drawback. I compared them to my R7 tp's, they are truely much more forgiving without sacrificing the ability to work the ball left-right-up-&-down. They do not have a cavity on the back, which the rest of the set cannot claim. Next to hitting a blade these were the softest feeling long irons I have played with.

3rd, The perimeter weighting- These have more weight towards the toe. Comparing again with the R7 tp's, TM really moved a lot of weight to the outside. Personally, I think it leads to a more balanced weighted club. I noticed it in my take away, which was different at first. On the course when playing a fade over a pond with my 5, I had a better sense of how open my club face was at impact, which lead to a confident swing and a great shot. Call it new club luck, but that Bird tasted great!

My overall first impressions are positive for sure. There was really no distance gain achieved (3 yards average gain, on a drizzly day) that was noticeable. I love the feel, not a clicky as the r7 tp's (some didn't like this, I had a "soft spot" for it :). I really felt, as I mentioned, a great feel for what the club was doing. I didn't mention the shaft, the FST KBS Tour, but I believe this had much to do with my sense of what was taking place in my back swing. It is forgiving, and I would say this is a club that the mid-handicappers could easily grow into. If you are wanting to improve ball striking with a little more incentive and less punishment on off center strikes with a "players" style iron, then these are for you. If you prefer the clean look of a blade at address with your long irons, then try these or borrow a buddy's before you plop down a grand on them. They are still worth trying, but no one should shop blindly, unless you have the money to lose or you find a great deal... Even still, it's a bad idea to shop blindly.

Obviously, it will take me more time to fully review these clubs. But I know that a lot of you, like myself, want to find out more info and opinions, so hopefully you enjoy! If you have questions, feel free to ask. I could put pics up on Sunday, but it really isn't necessary since JB just put some up in a different post. :clapp:

Thanks for the review. I watch this thread for your updates. I play R7 TP's now and these would be in the running to replace them. I hit the R9 TP 6 iron at Golfsmith the other day. Felt good but, I will have to have my 6 iron there for comparision.

Back