Iron Buying Decisions

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
When looking to purchase new irons, what drives you to 1 model over another?

I went into my local Golf Galaxy today to go looking for some wind gear and got the chance to hit some of the new irons that are out and coming out. I was able to hit the new Cleveland CG7 BP in both versions, TaylorMade R9 in both versions and also the TaylorMade Burners. I ruled out the TP versions of both the Cleveland and R9s. So I am left with the CG7 BP, the R9 and the Burner. I can say I hit the Burner about 8-12yds further about 80% of the time, so there is definitely distance to be gained with the Burner over the other 2, however, to me they felt very hard. The R9 felt extremely smooth when hitting. It was like there was almost no vibration and with almost every contact it felt like it was money. I even hit some off the toe and heel to see how it would feel. I almost want to say it was a muted feeling. The Cleveland's were kind of in the middle of the R9 and the Burner. I can't say I like them better over the other and the intriguing thing to me which got me searching out information on the Cleveland's is the new zip grooves that they have. I also like the Cleveland promotion if you buy an iron set this year you can trade it in for the newest thing before 12/31/2011. Its not the deciding factor as the irons being discussed are all about the same price and any further irons from Cleveland in the next 2 years will most likely have the new conforming grooves. Being an amateur I want all the technology available to me, and obviously going back to a groove that spins less is not in my best interest in most cases. So I think I am stuck deciding between the R9 and the CG7 BP.

Ball flight and feel.

First and foremost, does the ball go where I want it to?

Second, does the club has a smooth, soft feel when I strike the ball well?
Personally, I don't want a smooth feel on mishits because I want to know when I mishit. But I also don't want massive harsh feedback on a mishit.

Ball flight and feel.

First and foremost, does the ball go where I want it to?

Second, does the club has a smooth, soft feel when I strike the ball well?
Personally, I don't want a smooth feel on mishits because I want to know when I mishit. But I also don't want massive harsh feedback on a mishit.

On the R9s it wasn't a smooth feel on the mishits, but not very harsh either. I think a lot of it has to do with the shafts in those vs. my current shafts and how they transfer vibration. I currently have the Project X 6.5 shafts in my clubs and I think they are way too much shaft for me. The fitter today even commented on my shafts and how they probably weren't the best shaft for me.

For me, the very first thing has to be the way the club looks at address. If I don't like what I see as I'm looking down the shaft, I don't care if it's made of gold - I'm not going to buy it. Thick topline's, for example, are tossed back onto the rack immediately. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thick topline. Another "deal breaker" is a too-wide flange that peeks out past the topline. If I look down and I can see the back of the flange, forget it.

If it passes the "looks" test, the next thing is forged versus cast. I've played forged clubs all of my life and to me there is no better feel than a forged iron. I know that many people will say that with today's technology, there's virtually no difference, but I don't buy that.

Next is feel. How does the club actually feel in my hands? Does it feel "thin" or too light, or does it have some heft to it? (I like a somewhat heavy iron - at least a D-5).

The next to last thing is of course performance; the ball flight, sound and the way the ball feels coming off the clubface. If all of those things are positive, then the very last thing I look at is price.

I'm aware of what the general price range is for the type of clubs I like, but if a set of clubs look, feel and perform to my expectations, I'd have no problem going over budget to get them (within reason). But I'm not made of money, so even if they seem to be the best clubs I've ever seen, if the price is ridiculously high, then I'd have to move on.

But that price will come down - usually within a year when next year's models come out, so I can wait.

-JP

I decided the best way was to order the 7 iron from each of the models and play it for a few weeks to see which I like best. I use the 7 the most on my home course. I ordered the R9 tonight, I won't be able to order the CG7 BP for another week or so. So that should give me the best idea of which one to go with.

The R9s are not completely GI so a mis-hit will still give quite a bit of feedback. Hence the reason it was not as smooth. There are so many great irons out there right now and coming very soon that it is really personal preference. I have my favorites in each category as I am sure others do as well.

But to me buying irons comes down to 3 things

Budget
Performance
And what Rory Sabbatini is playing (i kid, i kid)

puttin it out there JP has 15 clubs

I have to say that the feedback on a good hit is a real selling point for me. Also how comfortable I am with the club, and how frequently I hit it "bad" in comparison to other choices. For example - the Nike Split Cavity is one of the best feeling irons I've hit, but I tend to hit them incorrectly much more frequently than a true cavity back. Too much club for me. The Mizuno MX-200 feels almost as good, but is a much easier club for me to hit.

Aesthetics also play into it, as does brand to an extent. There are a few brands that I just don't care to have in my bag. Price can play a role as well. I'm really interested in the Cleveland CG-7BP's aesthetically, but the older CG-7's I hit felt like whapping the ball with a rolled up newspaper (compared to the Nike Split's, Adams A4's, and Mizzy MP-52 and MX-200) - very little reward for a good shot.

But what the heck do I know? I'm still on my first set of irons (Mizzy MX-19) and looking at my second set.

For me, the very first thing has to be the way the club looks at address. If I don't like what I see as I'm looking down the shaft, I don't care if it's made of gold - I'm not going to buy it. Thick topline's, for example, are tossed back onto the rack immediately. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's a thick topline. Another "deal breaker" is a too-wide flange that peeks out past the topline. If I look down and I can see the back of the flange, forget it.

If it passes the "looks" test, the next thing is forged versus cast. I've played forged clubs all of my life and to me there is no better feel than a forged iron. I know that many people will say that with today's technology, there's virtually no difference, but I don't buy that.

Next is feel. How does the club actually feel in my hands? Does it feel "thin" or too light, or does it have some heft to it? (I like a somewhat heavy iron - at least a D-5).

The next to last thing is of course performance; the ball flight, sound and the way the ball feels coming off the clubface. If all of those things are positive, then the very last thing I look at is price.

I'm aware of what the general price range is for the type of clubs I like, but if a set of clubs look, feel and perform to my expectations, I'd have no problem going over budget to get them (within reason). But I'm not made of money, so even if they seem to be the best clubs I've ever seen, if the price is ridiculously high, then I'd have to move on.

But that price will come down - usually within a year when next year's models come out, so I can wait.

-JP

What JP said, exactly.

puttin it out there JP has 15 clubs

That's because the hybrid and the 4-wood are interchangeable.

There's also a 2-iron in the mix, but I hardly ever bag it except for really tight courses and/or very windy days (which is why I don't list it).

-JP

When deciding to invest in new sticks i think it's very important to go into the process with a very open mind. I think it can be detrimental to your cause if you walk into an equipment shop with an idea of what brands you want to play.

I invested in new irons early this year and went through a good couple of day fitting session. I had always been partial to PING irons and played them for the past 4-5 years but walked out with a set of Callaway's b/c they were the clubs the perfomed best for me. I don't have a problem with Callaway's but honestly, they weren't on my short list.

I guess it's important to trust people who have been trained and fit clubs for a living. It's hard to do on your note though.

When deciding to invest in new sticks i think it's very important to go into the process with a very open mind. I think it can be detrimental to your cause if you walk into an equipment shop with an idea of what brands you want to play.

I invested in new irons early this year and went through a good couple of day fitting session. I had always been partial to PING irons and played them for the past 4-5 years but walked out with a set of Callaway's b/c they were the clubs the perfomed best for me. I don't have a problem with Callaway's but honestly, they weren't on my short list.

I guess it's important to trust people who have been trained and fit clubs for a living. It's hard to do on your note though.

That is a great way to look at things. Many golfers are 100% brand loyal and hey, its their choice. However there is not a single brand out there that is tops in every category. That is the reason fittings come in handy. But if people would go in with an open mind, we would see far more people playing clubs that bettered their game.

The #1 thing for me is availability. I need to be able to demo different things and see what I like the best. Club XYZ might be the best club ever made and perfect for me, but if they don't have it in distribution locally where I can hit it, I will not buy it. There is no way I will make a $800 guess and order online. If it turns out I only have 4 or 5 choices then so be it. I will make the best decision I can with those choices.

#2 is looks. I want it to be pleasing for me to look at.

#3 is feel. Does it have a good feel in my hands?

#4 is performance. Does it have a solid feel when I hit the ball? Am I able to hit the ball how I want with it?

I know I might be shortchanging myself by putting #2 & 3 ahead of #4, but that is just how it is. Price really isn't a big factor for me. I know how much I have to spend and will eliminate anything before I even start if I don't think I can get it for that price. If it comes down to a couple of models that are equal to me and I can go either way, I will pick the one that has a lower price.

I try and have an open mind when I start the process. Unfortunately, I don't live in a huge golf area where everything is available so the options are sometimes limited. Like I said before, if I am not able to hit it, I won't buy it.

I would agree with Cards Fan, if I can not hit the clubs on the range to see the ball flight. I learned from that mistake when I bought CG Reds a few years back. The brand is not important to me, I just want the best sticks I can afford that suit my game. I have never for some reason been able to hit Titleist or Callaway worth a damm. After hitting several demo days I found the TM burnners were the irons for me.

Back