Standard size grip vs. the midsize...

My Bros. in law made a change for a couple days. He plays standard size and plays a draw, and miss hook. He uses a pretty strong grip as well. Changed to a mid-size thinking he'd tighten his miss but it turned out terrible. He was pushing and missing everything right. He was unhappy with it.

I play a midsize in my driver, and standard and 2-3x wraps in my hybrid/woods. I'm really not that sensative to grip changes. I play standard size in my irons and wedges. It just feels more comfortable for me having larger grips on the longer clubs, for whatever reason.

When I made the switch back in 2002 from standard to just below midsize, it was a weird transition. I gain more control and lost a great deal of movement. It will work for some and not others. Try it out on a spare club first and make sure you like it.

I actually prefer +3 wraps on a std grip but happened to purchase a driver shaft that had a midsize +2 wraps and while it is huge, I absolutely LOVE the feel and have never hit a drive as long or straight as I have with this combo. I also need to add that it is a high end shaft and could be playing a part in my success, but regardless, I enjoy the feel of it.

thank for answering! Cause i have the http://boccierigolf.com/secret-grip/original/ on my driver, and its the safest club in the bag (behind my 3 wedges) That grip is a bit thicker then a normal standard size. Also being an ex-hockey player, i guess im used to a bit thicker stuff in my hands ^^

I use a midsize +2 wraps. I have large hands and it feels comfortable for me.

I haven't lost any distance of which I'm aware, but I'm not a great golfer and not sure I'd really notice unless the change was dramatic.

If I may though, despite apparently being a good golfer, you seem to be fishing for a magic solution. There is no magic. Go verify with a fitter that your current clubs are right for you. If not, have them adjusted. Once that's done, have confidence that your clubs are not the problem. From there, take lessons from a pro to improve your swing. That and hard work are what it's going to take to improve. And by hard work I'm mean hard, focused practice on drills, on the range, short game area and putting green - not just beating balls.

I should probably use a midsize grip. Instead I just use 3 wraps of tape. Builds the grip up properly. It isn't hard to be fitted for a grip. In fact, all you really need is Lamkin's grip sizing tool on their website and a tape measure.

I use a midsize +2 wraps. I have large hands and it feels comfortable for me.

I haven't lost any distance of which I'm aware, but I'm not a great golfer and not sure I'd really notice unless the change was dramatic.

If I may though, despite apparently being a good golfer, you seem to be fishing for a magic solution. There is no magic. Go verify with a fitter that your current clubs are right for you. If not, have them adjusted. Once that's done, have confidence that your clubs are not the problem. From there, take lessons from a pro to improve your swing. That and hard work are what it's going to take to improve. And by hard work I'm mean hard, focused practice on drills, on the range, short game area and putting green - not just beating balls.
Do you use that grip size on all clubs or just your driver?

I have midsize grips in every club I use. My hands are huge. from the base of my wrist to the tip of my middle finger is 10". A jumbo grip just feels too big for me. I like a grip that is a little smaller anyways.

I should probably use a midsize grip. Instead I just use 3 wraps of tape. Builds the grip up properly. It isn't hard to be fitted for a grip. In fact, all you really need is Lamkin's grip sizing tool on their website and a tape measure.

Interesting, I just use midsized grips. Do you think it's more consistent your way?

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Interesting, I just use midsized grips. Do you think it's more consistent your way?

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Usually it just feels different in the hands. I think midsize has a much more noticeable taper, vs. building up a standard grip.

I played with a mid-size and quite enjoyed it. I had no problems at all. I'm currently using a standard with 2 wraps and found switching back took a long time to adjust to.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

There might be a little less taper in the lower part of the grip. Thruthfully, the reason I did it is because there are more grip options in standard.

I have big hands and going to a midsize grip (Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize) really helped me feel more in control of the club.

Ken

There might be a little less taper in the lower part of the grip. Thruthfully, the reason I did it is because there are more grip options in standard.

Interesting, maybe that's why I like Lamkin's performance plus so much.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Interesting, maybe that's why I like Lamkin's performance plus so much.

~Joseph~
Via Tapatalk

Maybe. I will say, I did not think of the taper when I chose to go that route. I really liked the look of the Z Chord grips. They were available in midsize, so I created a solution.

I went midsize a few years ago and won't go back. Midsize grip with 1 layer of thick tape (kind of a clear duct tape) on the bottom hand, plus 1 layer of masking tape and double sided tape on the whole grip. Kind of a chore to grip a set but they feel perfect in my hands and the extra tape adds a bit of weight to grip end.

Do you use that grip size on all clubs or just your driver?

All my woods and irons. I did leave the +2 wraps off of my wedges. I wanted a slightly smaller grip just to emphasize feel. That's the thinking anyhow.

that settles it! going to try standard with 3 layers of tape (lamkins grip-fitting system)... whats the easiest way to get your grips off without ruening them?

that settles it! going to try standard with 3 layers of tape (lamkins grip-fitting system)... whats the easiest way to get your grips off without ruening them?

A lot of folks use an air compressor with an attachment. Otherwise, I know some of the shops around here use a syringe to inject solvent under the grip in order to salvage them when they're doing repair work.

A lot of folks use an air compressor with an attachment. Otherwise, I know some of the shops around here use a syringe to inject solvent under the grip in order to salvage them when they're doing repair work.

i did that once with one of my old clubs, and the grip blew up to a huge bubble... maybe i have to heat up glue from the tape before i use the air compressor?

I switched to mid-sized grips a few years back with all my clubs. Not only was it more comfortable on my hands but I felt that I gained more control. I'm glad I made the switch. Some things in golf can be trial and error at times.

I regripped all mine last year with midsize and I don't think it made much difference. In fact, my scores have been higher since doing it, but I have no idea if it was the grips or something else. I'm going back to what Lamkin recommended for me, standard with one extra wrap. The reason I went with midsize was because I didn't like the feel of the stock Tour Velvets and I'm starting to get a little bit of arthritis, so I thought I'd give them a try. Since I love my irons, grips are all I have to play with right now.

Grip size and effects on the swing?

Grip size and effects on the swing?

Hey all, I've always played with standard sized grips. When I went to try the Amp Cell Pro irons out the guys in the shop suggested I order them with an extra wrap of tape. I thought, fair enough you guys probably know more than I do. Anyway, clubs arrived and I've been having issues hitting them consistently. I worked out I was standing fractionally too far from the ball but am still having consistency issues. I've been at the range a fair bit and things are starting to come back to me. I tried the demo both indoors and outdoors and was hitting it perfectly with standard size grips. Anyway, I feel like I am struggling to release the club and apply the head to the ball square. My wedges have standard size grips, so do my hybrid and fairway wood and I hit them brilliantly. That may sound weird but does anyone have anything else to add ?

One extra wrap will not affect your swing. I'd chalk it up to an off day

*merged with like thread

Back