To all the club builders, how do you change lie?

dpgator33

Reaction score
Handicap
I've not seen this explained really. t's my understanding that when you build a club, the "standard" characteristics, with a standard length shaft, average height person, etc., is to have a neutral lie. But what happens when you build a club and it's too flat or upright? I've read about clubs being "bent" but is that really the process? Just clamp the sucker in and apply extreme pressure? Is it something else?

I'm becoming mildly interested in possibly putting together a club or two just to see how I like it and if I can continue to do so confidently, at least for myself.

Yes, they actually bend. My instructor uses this >>> http://www.mitchellgolf.com/TourGAUGE-Digital-Irons-Machine.html

TGDIM-FMS-01.jpg

yup that's what we used at golf galaxy too Hawk

Thank for the responses

Find a good club builder in your area and have them do it. Most only charge $5 - $10 for a wedge and if you get to know them, they may not even charge you if you spend some other cash there.

The machine noted is top notch, but build a relationship with a local RESPECTABLE outfitter and let them do it for you.

Nasty things can occur when one attempts to adjust a club without prior knowledge (more important than that is actual experience). The club makes a big variable and it's ability to be adjusted, both in ability to adjust and it's sustainable variance.

I've had mine adjusted/checked a couple of times and it ranges from 3$/club and up. Lie boards work great, but it's on course reality that will show you what needs to occur.

Build a relationship with someone close and go from there. Nowadays I can go in for an adjustment and they will only charge me for 3-5 clubs if I know (Or think I know) where I want them to be at. I've learned that fitting on an indoor facility is MUCH more different than being on the turf. Long iron vs. short iron and your swing can also add into the equation. Club by club on a good day is where it's at. That never occurs for me, so I've been experimenting and looking long term with those aforementioned relationships. Just my .02

Back