2013 Callaway X-Forged Irons Preview

Is it possible to really be in love with irons? Yes....yes it is. After 36 holes a few days ago, I just went back and thought about the irons I hit into greens from my PW-4i. Of the 36 holes, which included a few par 5's going for the green in 2, I was 15 of 20 in greens hit when using my forged irons!! I had no idea it was that good! A few were just off the edge by and inch or 2 in the fringe but I gave me those as hits.

So happy with my decision to choose these irons. Yes, I'm in love.

Those are some stellar numbers Nate. Glad you have found some early comfort and success with these

Is it possible to really be in love with irons? Yes....yes it is. After 36 holes a few days ago, I just went back and thought about the irons I hit into greens from my PW-4i. Of the 36 holes, which included a few par 5's going for the green in 2, I was 15 of 20 in greens hit when using my forged irons!! I had no idea it was that good! A few were just off the edge by and inch or 2 in the fringe but I gave me those as hits.

So happy with my decision to choose these irons. Yes, I'm in love.

That's what we call "cheating" in PA Nate. Don't know how you guys do it in TX, but I don't know if I like it....

Lol. Shoulda seen your face. Awesome job man. You are a dangerous dangerous man with those things by the sounds of it.

That's what we call "cheating" in PA Nate. Don't know how you guys do it in TX, but I don't know if I like it....

Lol. Shoulda seen your face. Awesome job man. You are a dangerous dangerous man with those things by the sounds of it.

Ha! Yea, our "fringe" is like putting from the green here. But when I have a 10ft putt just off the fringe to the hole, I'm going to count that as a green hit. Meaning, my iron shot did exactly what I wanted it to do and was in the area I wanted it. And I just threw that together in about 2 minutes in thinking it over. I could be off + or - 1.

Those are some stellar numbers Nate. Glad you have found some early comfort and success with these

Sadly enough, it's my wedges that are killing my numbers and I must get that turned around here shortly.

Took the 4 iron out today. Hit it on the range and couldn't believe how easy it was to hit. Also used it several times during the round. Unfortunately my final shot was the only bad one of the round, but it was definitely the Indian and not the arrow - hit any 4 iron an inch and a half fat and it will mean trouble.

Anyway, I'm very, very close to pulling the trigger on these in 4-9. I will likely go with SCOR for the PW.

These are very impressive irons...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Another round in the books yesterday and went 6 for 8 in greens hit when using these irons. I am just so impressed with what Callaway has done with their forged irons this year. For me, they are super forgiving and I'm finding on a few that I feel were mishit, they are still finding the green or fringe around the hole which is a super plus! I am just falling in love with the PW and what the ball does off the club face. Such a good feeling to have.

I'm wondering if I have the wrong shaft. I went with C-taper S and am finding my distances at the bottom of the set to be in the toilet. I'm accustomed to my 8 going 155-160 and my 9 going 145-150. Now the 8 goes a max of 145 with a center face nutted swing.

Even my 5, that used to be my 200-210, is now going 185ish.

Maybe I'll take my 6/7 iron to a LM and compare with the stock PXi

Another round in the books yesterday and went 6 for 8 in greens hit when using these irons. I am just so impressed with what Callaway has done with their forged irons this year. For me, they are super forgiving and I'm finding on a few that I feel were mishit, they are still finding the green or fringe around the hole which is a super plus! I am just falling in love with the PW and what the ball does off the club face. Such a good feeling to have.

Pretty impressive. Just looking at these inspires a lot of confidence, I'd love to hit these at some point.

Can you explain why with a soft shaft you would gain 10yards? What club is carrying 165?
The 6 iron in the 6.0... And that was my educated guess based on similar gains between 6.0 and 5.5 in the Mizuno MP-59 (155 average carry to 164 average carry in the PXI).

I can't wait to swipe these out of a couple guys bags on Media Day. Really looking forward to hitting these on a range!

Going for a fitting tomorrow. Have to make a final call on shafts (PXi or KBS Tours) and then these babies will be mine!

I have played a lot of golf and played a lot of irons in that time. The xforged are the latest and these irons are just so solid and offer up a degree of satisfaction on every shot. Make no mistake, they are forged, small profile and small sweet spot. But these possess something I have yet to find in any other blade, perimeter forgiveness. Not as much as a cavity back or GI but more than any other blade I have gamed.

I can't stress enough a proper fitting. I had to have all the lie angles adjusted after they arrived and it has made all the difference in the world. My distances, trajectory and workability are all presence. Can't wait til my next round.

I have played a lot of golf and played a lot of irons in that time. The xforged are the latest and these irons are just so solid and offer up a degree of satisfaction on every shot. Make no mistake, they are forged, small profile and small sweet spot. But these possess something I have yet to find in any other blade, perimeter forgiveness. Not as much as a cavity back or GI but more than any other blade I have gamed.

I can't stress enough a proper fitting. I had to have all the lie angles adjusted after they arrived and it has made all the difference in the world. My distances, trajectory and workability are all presence. Can't wait til my next round.

Freddie is going to be a force at the MC no doubt. Interesting about the lie angles. Cause I'm green to all this equipment tweaking, doe the memory of the forged steel ever go back or away from where you had them bent to? How often to you check them or need to have them checked?

Freddie is going to be a force at the MC no doubt. Interesting about the lie angles. Cause I'm green to all this equipment tweaking, doe the memory of the forged steel ever go back or away from where you had them bent to? How often to you check them or need to have them checked?
I usually will have them checked twice a year. Just to be sure. They don't move much but you never know.
I requested 1* flat and not one was correct. I had them all adjusted to the proper lie angle and lofts. Made a huge difference in trajectory and distance .

I usually will have them checked twice a year. Just to be sure. They don't move much but you never know.
I requested 1* flat and not one was correct. I had them all adjusted to the proper lie angle and lofts. Made a huge difference in trajectory and distance .

Interesting that you had to have them all bent. Were they all wrong the same way, or inconsistent? Makes me wonder, as I expect to need mine 1· up, if I shouldn't just order them standard and then have them bent after they arrive.

I have plans to bend the 4 iron a degree or two strong to better fill my gap to a 2h, so I'll have work to do anyway...

Made the call today and have submitted an order for 4-PW. Pretty pumped up about it.

Congrats my man! Best irons ever.

Worst part is I really like my current irons, but loved hitting the X Forged. So much butter.

Worst part is I really like my current irons, but loved hitting the X Forged. So much butter.

I loved my TM MC's as well but this took it up a couple of notches! Enjoy these bad boys!

I made a custom order to have them set to 1* flat and the lie angles were off on all but my 7i. I also requested the lofts be strengthened and several were off.
Interesting that you had to have them all bent. Were they all wrong the same way, or inconsistent? Makes me wonder, as I expect to need mine 1· up, if I shouldn't just order them standard and then have them bent after they arrive.

I have plans to bend the 4 iron a degree or two strong to better fill my gap to a 2h, so I'll have work to do anyway...

Yesterday was an interesting day with these irons. I saw first hand what a poor swing will produce. To date my misses have been lateral and I was still getting good results. Yesterday I was miss a few grooves low and even though I kept the ball in front of me, they we not pretty. This was more with the long irons but still...The next 10 days will be dedicated to staying down and through with the irons.

Now, on center strikes I don't think I've hit anything better. The trajectory for me is perfect with the S400 I have in them. There is some girth behind the shots and I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get that extra length to stretch an iron. Stock swings are producing very close yards that I used to play. And from a Vanoty stand point, they are beautiful to look at.

Yesterday was an interesting day with these irons. I saw first hand what a poor swing will produce. To date my misses have been lateral and I was still getting good results. Yesterday I was miss a few grooves low and even though I kept the ball in front of me, they we not pretty. This was more with the long irons but still...The next 10 days will be dedicated to staying down and through with the irons.

Now, on center strikes I don't think I've hit anything better. The trajectory for me is perfect with the S400 I have in them. There is some girth behind the shots and I'm not swinging out of my shoes to get that extra length to stretch an iron. Stock swings are producing very close yards that I used to play. And from a Vanoty stand point, they are beautiful to look at.

Good stuff. Mine arrived yesterday and I'm on the way to the course to pick them up and give them their first run right now. Looking forward to putting some good swings on them.

One thing you said that I definitely found when demoing them was the kind of distance I was getting from a "smooth" effort. It was very impressive.

Fantastic first outing (71) with the new sticks. Hit a lot of very good iron shots (including a 5 iron from 210 to 6 feet) and absolutely loved the feel and effortlessly high ball flight. I hit a few away from the middle of the face and still got reasonable results. First run was very good. Now I just need my wedges to come in and the package will be complete.

bujuzyde.jpg

gorgeous. 5 iron from 210? Damn that's impressive in it's own right

Back