TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs Putter - Forum Review

Thanks War. Thanks again to THP and Taylormade for this opportunity, this will my gamer for the foreseeable future, and ill have an update from yesterdays round tonight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Appreciate the opportunity from THP and Taylormade. This putter has opened my eyes up to a part of my game I struggle with and one I will be using for awhile.

Testing of the Daddy Long Legs putter is now closing, but, I will file one more review. I played a little hidden gem of a course in Clayton, GA called Kingwood Country Club. It's a mountain course with some dramatic elevation changes and really fine greens. It's not long, but requires accuracy and patience.

Putting Stats:

8 One-Putts
10 Two-Putts
28 Total Putts

That was my best day putting since starting with the Daddy Long Legs. So, you see why I wanted to do this last report. :act-up:

The one-putts were 8, 12, 7, 5, 8, 10, 1 (almost holed out for an eagle), and 6 feet in length. My two-putts were of varying lengths 6 feet to 40 feet and the 6-footer was the only short putt I missed and it stopped just short. All of my second putts were tap-ins. It was just a great day with the DLL and I felt like I could jar the putts from anywhere. Oh, and I shot 34, 41 for 75. An errant tee shot on hole #17 cost me a double bogey or it would have been a personal best.

Since this is my last report of the testing, I'll try to summarize my observations about the DLL here.

- The 35 inch DLL fit me perfectly. I had used various putters in 33 inches previously, and choking up as recommended with the 35 inch DLL yielded perfect balance and feel.
- The counter balance in the grip of the putter facilitates a straight back and straight through putting stroke. I am still astonished at how easy it is to make a smooth, controlled stroke with the DLL.
- The size and weight (when just holding it) of the DLL might deter some from trying it. But, it was easy to adjust to the size (look) of the putter and the weight, because of the counter balancing, is unnoticeable when putting.
- My misses with the DLL are generally mis-reads, either line or, more often, speed (short). It is so easy to putt a ball on the chosen line with the DLL that I rarely miss inside 10-12 feet if my read is good.
- My trouble with speed on some putts comes from occasionally not being "deliberate" (aggressive) enough with my stroke. The stroke with the DLL is so effortless that I sometimes forget to make it, if that makes sense.
- I had early trouble with long lag putts, but, that was solved with a couple of practice sessions. Again, I was not being aggressive enough with those putts. Perhaps it was the size of the putter initially making me feel like I was going to hammer it.

I sincerely thank THP and TaylorMade for the opportunity to test and review the Daddy Long Legs putter. I really had a blast doing it. I've had the added good fortune that the DLL just seemed to suit me perfectly and has definitely improved my putting. I'm looking forward to gaming this beauty for quite a long time.

v.man, you absolutely killed this testing. Very, very well done, sir!

Thanks man, I loved every minute of it.

I would like to Thank TaylorMade and THP for the opportunity to test Daddy Long Legs! I know testing is coming to a close but I do have one more full write up coming this weekend.

Thanks to the testers for posting your comments/experiences. I purchased mine shortly after the first couple of comments were posted, due in-large-part to some of the feedback.

I'm still pretty happy with the putter, and my overall putts-per-round average is lower than prior seasons (not as low as I really want, but progress is progress). I am certain that I need the lie angle to be just a bit flatter, though, so hoping I can get that taken care of this week.

I finally got to use the DLL at the practice green on Friday and then for a round on Saturday. On the practice green the problems I had while carpet putting didn't exist and I was putting a good roll on the ball almost always whether I did a forward press or not. I hesitate to say that short putts of 3-6 feet were "automatic" when it came to putting a good roll on the ball. In my mind I knew that the way the putter swings due to the added weight in the head and overall ballance of the putter I wasn't worried about line and instead could concentrate on distance control instead. For longer putts I still put a pretty good role on it but there was a little variance off line, nothing dramatic though and I would expect that since I'm taking a longer swing. Distance control on the long putts was great and I would say I would have near perfect weight about 8 out of 10 times with the misses almost always being short on downhill putts and long on uphill putts. With some more practice with it I'm sure I will be able to get the weight control even better. As for the round on Saturday I am not even going to describe it as the greens were horrible. On a scale of 1-5 I would have rated them a 2 at best. The greens themselves weren't splotchy or anything it was just impossible to actually roll the ball without it having bounce the entire way to the hole. On top of that the greens all seemed to have different speeds so trying to guage my performance with the DLL is a waste of time for that round.

Overall I really like the DLL and while I was putting well with the Spider Ghost previously the DLL makes me feel ever more confident standing over putts. I want to try and average 30 putts or less per round this year and I think with a little bit of practice I hope to be able to attain that this year with the DLL.

You guys did an incredible job on your testing. Thanks for all your hard testing.

I have played 72 holes since Friday. The plan Saturday was to play 18 with Daddy and then 18 with my old putter that plan didn’t come through as I wanted another shot at the greens with Daddy to finish off my thoughts. I played 18 today and broke out my old putter to get some closing thoughts on what works and what doesn’t for me.

About the Putter-
Daddy Long Legs is a mallet style putter very similar to that of the older style line with tons of tech put into it. Its a High-MOI multiple material head with a heavy grip to counter act the head weight.

The counter balancing with the heavy grip creates a stable putter and seems to anchor the putter in mid-air.

Looks-
The looks fall inline with the mallet spiders of the past and is a very good looking putter when looking down at it. The contrast of white and black works nicely. I

Alignment-
Daddy Long Legs sets up to the ball really well and the white portion in the middle split by the black line. This set up definitely helps line up on your intended line.

Feel-
The PureRoll insert makes a quiet thud and dampens the vibrations from making contact with the ball. The soft feel of the putter doesn’t mean it has no feel at all, as you can still feel a center, toe or heel hit. The soft feel is quite pleasing to the hands and ears.

Distance Control-
This is where I saw a ton of success with Daddy Long Legs. Lag putting with this putter was a breeze and I had all the confidence in the world that I would put the ball in the “good good” range and quite possibly sink it. The distance 15,20, 25 or even longer didn’t matter to me when I went to roll the ball. Short putts I saw great distance control as well.

Final Thoughts-
I really liked the feel and distance control with Daddy Long Legs, but my continued struggle was with short putts 6ft and in. I would miss them on both sides of the hole even on straight putts. I spent a lot of time working on this and just couldn’t get any consistency with it where making the putt really counts.

With my continued struggles on making the putts that count the most I don’t think that Daddy Long Legs is the putter for me. I played my old putter today and hit almost every line I picked, I missed several putts because the greens just weren't breaking the way my group was reading them.

I would like to Thank TaylorMade and THP for the privilege of getting to put Daddy Long Legs to test.

Played 2 rounds over the last two days shot some of my lowest scores in a long while i only had 3 three puts in 36 holes which might have been less if i had taken my time on them but i am very happy with how the DLL has preformed

Thanks to all the testers! Great job! You guys wrote some great reviews. I've enjoyed following along. I'm very intrigued by the DLL and I've rolled it a few times at the bigger retail stores in my area. My current gamer is performing very well but I'm still tempted by the DLL. It's felt so stable in my hands the times I've rolled it.

Hi guys,

I'm totally new to this website and having forum users testing new products. What a great concept - I hope all other manufacturers are following suit as there is no better advertising of your product than a glowing review from an everyday person. Also I want to thank all the testers for their feedback - I was in the market for a new putter (previous putter - Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider) and heard about the DLL but didn't pull the trigger until I read what the testers had to say on this website.

I played my first round with the DLL yesterday on my home track after having 30 minutes practice to get used to the speed. In summary this putter is incredible - it's been a very long time that I have actually looked forward to reaching the green and trying to sink some putts. I would class my putting as average at best and this putter gave me more and more confidence as the round went on.

Lag putting was great which was my main worry. The putter is a lot heavier than my previous gamer and I really thought I would be sending my putts metres past but the solid feel and face just rolled it perfectly. Short putting was the big improvement, the single black line on white head was so clear compared to my previous putter's busy alignment lines and made setting my putter face so easy. And the counterbalance system just kept everything on line when usually my takeaway is a bit erratic.

Unfortunately I had the worst driving performance ever (zero fairways hit !!) but because of my putting, I still managed to place quite well in the tournament. Well done Taylormade, this is the putter I have been waiting for.

Thanks for posting Leroy, and glad your loving your new DLL. I had a blast testing and reviewing this putter and the confidence it has given me will guarantee that it will be in the bag for a long time.

Stop over at the "Check In" thread and introduce yourself, and welcome to the forum. You're going to like it here.

Read all 23 pages and went to get mine yesterday, thank you for all the testing and reviews! Now my Scotty will go to fleabay.

I bought one of these bad boys today and just by playing around with it on the putting mats at GS, I was very impressed. I have (had) a Nike Method Drone and the mallet balance on it was great, the DLL feels a lot more sturdy, balanced, and feels like it's preventing me from turning my wrists giving me a more accurate shot.
I really can't wait to test it out this weekend on the course. New wedges, new putter, new confidence in my short game:smile-big:

Tried out both the Daddy Long Legs and Taylormade Spider S last week. Have now bagged the Spider S as I found it was overall more consistent for me. Used it for the first time this week and didn't three putt once. Anything inside 5ft it just oozes confidence. Step up, straight back and through and bang it in for sure. Great feel and weight. Brand new grip feels a bit slippery for now but no doubt that will change with a bit of use. Long putts have been no problem getting it up there close so far. Really happy with it but early days!

Driver: :ping: G15 10.5
Fairway wood: Ping G15 15.5
Hybrid: :cleveland: Mashie 2
Irons: :adams: Pro A12 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland: CG 15 56 degree :titleist: Vokey 60 degree
Putter: :taylormade: Spider S
Ball: Srixon soft feel

Review on daddy long legs putter 38 inches

Review on daddy long legs putter 38 inches

I bought this putter last week and tried it a few times and hated it so much. The distance control was really hard to get down. The fell was ok but at sometimes felt like you weren't even hitting the ball. On short putts the top look was a bit much and kinda got my mind going to quick. Not a great fit for me but may be for others.

I bought this putter last week and tried it a few times and hated it so much. The distance control was really hard to get down. The fell was ok but at sometimes felt like you weren't even hitting the ball. On short putts the top look was a bit much and kinda got my mind going to quick. Not a great fit for me but may be for others.

JASH. you're just a horrible putter, that's why you've gone through three different ones in the last few weeks.

Finally pulled on the trigger on the DLL. Bought one used--should arrive sometime next week.

Looking to sell it?

Took the DLL out for the first time today for about an hour on the putting green. So far, so good. It's stable and when I focused on hitting to a certain, it was easy to hit it exactly where I wanted to. Most of my misses were because I read it wrong. I pulled and pushed a few but most of my short putts were right on target. Didn't have any issues distance control or longer putts. The putting green was very sloped so there were no easy putts. I am looking forward to getting out on the course and testing it out.

I went out and played my first round with the DLL today. I would consider myself a good putter. Not great but pretty solid. What attracted me to the DLL was the heavier head and back weighting--something to help me keep stay on track. After playing one round with the DLL, I can see my putting going to the next level.

I was hitting the ball pretty well today so I had more than my usual opportunity for birdies. I made about a testy 5 footer for birdie on 2 and a 10 foot fast, downhill putt on 3. I had about a 8 footer on four, hit it right on my line but it didn't break like I wanted. I made another 7-8 foot putt on 7 on a slick right to left putt that usually would give me trouble. I didn't make every makeable putt today and don't expect to but I can see my percentage of 5-10 footers going up. Anyway, good day with the DLL. Looking forward to more course time with it.

Which length did you go with Jeff?

Which length did you go with Jeff?

I ended up going with the 38". It felt kind of odd at the store and putting green, but I didn't notice the extra length on the course today.

Back