Anybody wearing flat cap rather than bball style?

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
Saw a few today while browsing, anybody favour these (as worn by Payne Stewart) over trucker/bball/billed style?

Are they effective for shielding sun from eyes?

i have one i wear from time to time on the course works fine for the sun... never had any issues with it.

I've tried a few on but I look goofy as all get out in them so I stick to baseball caps.

I've been eyeballing some but don't think I could pull it off.

My wife and I wanted to do the whole classic/Payne Stewart get up, flat hat/plad/knickers, when we first started dating. Never happened. Thought it would be kind of fun. Don't think I could seriously pull off a flat hat though.

You need a certain kind of head shape in order to pull that off. Doesn't work for me.

I own several of these caps and wear them regularly both on the course and off. I prefer them over baseball hats any more. As for sun protection, they aren't bad...not quite as good as a baseball cap, but still works.

My mrs pointed out I also use the brim of caps to keep rain of my glasses, will a flat cap do that as well?
I find the ability see reasonably clearly helps my game....

I used to. It keeps the sun off the head, and I liked the shorter bill more than the baseball-style cap.

Unfortunately, that flat cap got ruinously covered in beer celebrating at a football match. Totally worth it.

dcustands.gif

I haven't gotten around to buying another.

I wore one in the late '90s. I also wore plus-4s/knickers too. I was a big Payne Stewart fan back in the day and it inspired me to dress like he did. Just be forewarned, if you dress like that and dont have some serious game, people will hassle you about it and tell you that you shouldnt dress like that.

I have several Flat/Ivy caps. I wear them mostly in the Winter. They are a bit warmer than other hats. Bill does a reasonable job keeping the sun off eyes. Bottom Line: I wear them because they are unique and feel they are a reflection of our predecessors.

I love these hats. I always called them cabbie hats. Some people know I really like the traditional attire and while I haven't brought myself to go full knickers/argyle vest and socks, I do really enjoy wearing these hats.

I love these hats. I always called them cabbie hats. Some people know I really like the traditional attire and while I haven't brought myself to go full knickers/argyle vest and socks, I do really enjoy wearing these hats.

I loved going old school but am seriously considering getting a traditional outfit for future THP outings.
Considering all the Puma and Loudmouth gear other people were rocking at the Ohio outing, I wouldn't look any more ridicules than anyone else did.

You'd look dapper lol people can't hate on someone looking good right? : )

I'm gonna do it, will pick something up this weekend!

Check golfknickers.com they have some great outfits and you can pick and choose whatever you like. Ive been pondering some for a long time

Definitely, a little pricey but so is all golf clothing haha. Ill have to check out that local stuff

Well actually on that uk site they are even more expensive haha. Looks like you may be going for the “loud" colors huh?

Like them myself, need to find one that breaths a little better.

LtEvOtApPeD B4

Like them myself, need to find one that breaths a little better.

LtEvOtApPeD B4

Yeah some can be a bit toasty, especially the wool ones. Never pleasant in hot weather haha. Gotta find that fabric combo. Check that golfknickers.com site I posted they have a good selection and Im pretty they are a combo and not 100% wool

I'm gonna do it, will pick something up this weekend!

Was in the store with my wife, tried one on, got a very emphatic no. As in - no, not now, not ever. So I'm over it I guess :)

I look stupid, but I love my Nike flat brim visor. It is my go to hat right now

Bought two flat cap hats (a Herman Boston010, and a Stetson Brooklin) while we were in France. They are quite comfortable. Going to the golfcourse to play with the Herman tomorrow.

Back