Sposey549

Golfaholic
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I am finding it somewhat difficult finding the correct ball. I try to go from putting to driving and when I do I find the ball for everything except my woods. I have been trying the Callaway Hex Chromes and they are great for me except for my woods. For some reason I balloon them. I have tried the new Srixon Q Stars and they are good with my woods but don't like them around the green. I'm going to try the Nike One RZN next. If anyone has any opinions it would be great. I have tried GolfBallSelector.com and I'm trying some of their suggestions.

Have you tried the Z-stars? The 2012 model is available through a lot of places for $29/doz. I like the Q-stars from the tee, but the Z-stars have it better on the green. I was skeptical about the difference playing a "tour" ball, but I'm really happy with the this ball so far. This week I managed to get 27 holes out of one, and it still didn't need to go in the shag bag.

If you're truly a 20 handicap, I think you're worrying too much.

There's probably a dozen balls that will be just fine. Hex Chrome, E5, E6, Nike 20XI. If you're ballooning your drives, it's likely a swing fault moreso than a problem with the ball. I'm about the same handicap level and play the Hex Chrome too. I have no problems with ballooning.

I am a true 20. My average on 18 holes is a 92. I have shot a 83 and have shot 100 but my average weekend to week out is 92. I have tried the E5 and ballooned them. I can hit a Q Star, E7, and a couple others without ballooning but was not happy around the green. My spin around the green is high so I am a one hop and stop with the Hex Chrome but the woods balloon. I have not really tried many Nike balls except the Mojo when I first started playing again and they were awful balls. So now I'm giving some other Nikes a try.

A lesson to have a pro diagnose your ballooning might be the best money/time you can spend.

Not being unappreciative but how could it be a swing issue if I don't balloon all different balls I hit? I have a pretty consistent swing. I hit my driver with a slight draw to a slight fade. I am starting to think I shouldn't be using urethane covered balls.

Sounds like you've tried a good assortment of balls. I found the Lethal penetrated through the wind better than any other ball I've played of late.

I have tried many different balls lately. If I honestly thought going to a pro to help me from ballooning I would but I don't balloon but the urethane cover balls I've tried so far. I really like urethane for the green play but I spin them a lot being I ca not hit with a driver to keep it down. I might give the Bridgestone RX a try and the Nike 20XI.

What about getting a mixed box of lake balls, inexpensive way to try a variety and you might find the perfect match..?

I have tried many different balls lately. If I honestly thought going to a pro to help me from ballooning I would but I don't balloon but the urethane cover balls I've tried so far. I really like urethane for the green play but I spin them a lot being I ca not hit with a driver to keep it down. I might give the Bridgestone RX a try and the Nike 20XI.

you can lead a horse to water....

I said in another thread that I found the q star and one rzn to play identical. Maybe give the Velocity a chance.

While it sounds like you are getting more spin than you should off the driver, a couple balls to consider would be the Hex Chrome+ and the Black, Srixon Z-Star XV, and the Bridgestone B330. All of these are designed to spin a bit less off the driver, while maintaining greenside spin. They will spin a bit less than their spinnier counterparts, but still more than a non-urethane ball.

If you can't hit any urethane balls without excessive spin, then you might take the other advice in this thread and see if a swing flaw is producing that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not being unappreciative but how could it be a swing issue if I don't balloon all different balls I hit? I have a pretty consistent swing. I hit my driver with a slight draw to a slight fade. I am starting to think I shouldn't be using urethane covered balls.

As a true 20 hdcp how can you say it's not a swing flaw. It's not the ball it's an inconsistent swing path and tech unique around the greens. I would really seek the advise of a live lesson or a true ball fitting via Bridgestone.

Nike One RZN X (13)
Bridgestone e7 (13)
Nike One RZN (13)
Titleist Velocity (12)
Nike 20XI X (13
Srixon Z-Star (11)
Titleist Pro V1x (13)
Titleist NXT Tour (12)
Wilson Staff FG Tour X (12
Nike 20XI (13)
Callaway HEX Black Tour (12)
TaylorMade Lethal (13)
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX (12)

This is the top ball suggested by GolfBallSelector.Com. Maybe this will get me to the correct ball or closer. I have not hit but 4 Urethane balls, Callaway Hex Chrome, Srixon Z Star SL, Bridgestone E5, and Bridgestone B330 RX. The RX was a good ball for me but 45.00 plus tax is what I'm trying to find a cheaper ball.

If you're truly a 20 handicap, I think you're worrying too much.

There's probably a dozen balls that will be just fine. Hex Chrome, E5, E6, Nike 20XI. If you're ballooning your drives, it's likely a swing fault moreso than a problem with the ball. I'm about the same handicap level and play the Hex Chrome too. I have no problems with ballooning.

Agree, but in addition another reason...

I am finding it somewhat difficult finding the correct ball. I try to go from putting to driving and when I do I find the ball for everything except my woods. I have been trying the Callaway Hex Chromes and they are great for me except for my woods. For some reason I balloon them. I have tried the new Srixon Q Stars and they are good with my woods but don't like them around the green. I'm going to try the Nike One RZN next. If anyone has any opinions it would be great. I have tried GolfBallSelector.com and I'm trying some of their suggestions.

Quit worrying about woods and focus on the ball that enhances your short game. This is where you'll gain or lose the most strokes in a given round. Play what works for you spin-wise and performance-wise from the 150-and-in yardages and you'll begin to improve your scores very quickly.

I am a true 20. My average on 18 holes is a 92. I have shot a 83 and have shot 100 but my average weekend to week out is 92. I have tried the E5 and ballooned them. I can hit a Q Star, E7, and a couple others without ballooning but was not happy around the green. My spin around the green is high so I am a one hop and stop with the Hex Chrome but the woods balloon. I have not really tried many Nike balls except the Mojo when I first started playing again and they were awful balls. So now I'm giving some other Nikes a try.

FWIW, your index is not your average score, but score potential. I know that is not what this thread is about, but some people go based on average and it is not accurate.

I would find a Bridgestone Ball fitting (they have plenty in your area) and get real life results. You can find out if you are truly ballooning (too much backspin causing a loss of distance) or if there is a ball in your price range that works perfectly for you. We watched THPer after THPer go through a live ball fitting at the outing in May and many were astonished at the results.

FWIW, your index is not your average score, but score potential. I know that is not what this thread is about, but some people go based on average and it is not accurate.

I would find a Bridgestone Ball fitting (they have plenty in your area) and get real life results. You can find out if you are truly ballooning (too much backspin causing a loss of distance) or if there is a ball in your price range that works perfectly for you. We watched THPer after THPer go through a live ball fitting at the outing in May and many were astonished at the results.

What this man said. I can't wait for the one here in a few weeks

Try the top flight gamer

Well went to my local golf shop today to hit some balls in the launch monitor. After warming up I hit 3 different balls. First was the Nike 20XI-X, on the launch monitor my readings were launch 15, balls speed 127, and back spin 3575. Second was Callaway Hex Chrome, launch 15, ball speed 128, and back spin 3850. Last was the Nike One RZN, launch 14, ball speed 130, and back spin 3050. I also bought a sleeve of each and hit them out doors at the local range. As before the Hex Chrome ballooned, the 20XI-X was ok, but the One RZN was a lot better with no ballooning. Now I need to hit the course and see about the green play with the RZN. Urethane covers do add more spin to the ball, and some more than others.

Back