Has Rory sold his soul ?

Did he play more events last season up to this point?

and he's missed the cut in Dubai and Irish Open this year, right?

I'm sorry, I was thinking PGA Tour only. But you are right about Dubai and the Irish. I think he has played more this year on the PGA Tour.

Did he play more events last season up to this point?

and he's missed the cut in Dubai and Irish Open this year, right?

Blu must be speaking only of PGA Tour. He has two missed cuts this year I believe (the ones you mentioned).

Blu must be speaking only of PGA Tour. He has two missed cuts this year I believe (the ones you mentioned).

You are right. Ever get tired of hearing that?

No he didn't sell his soul. He took the money and run and anyone who wouldn't do the same is a liar. Equipment isn't everything and I don't believe it has anything to do with his current struggles.

I've been watching with interest his demise and it makes me wonder, did he make a conscious decision and say to himself, "Well, $300 million is a ton of money and worth throwing away the chance at more majors".
Everyone remebers when Tiger switched from Titleist to Nike and how he struggled. It took him ages to come right, I can't see Rory coming back from the doldrums he's in, not Sith the equipment he's using. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with Nike as golf club manufacturers but he obviously has no confidence in them. In my opinion he's gonna get to a point and realise how bad a choice he made and use an opt out clause in the contract. There surely must be one. If not it'll be a great shame to see him start sliding down the rankings to who knows where?
Anyway, that's my questions and thoughts. Anyone have more to add?

There's not much of this I can agree with. 300 million IS a lot of money. That's about it.
Obviously he wants the money AND the majors. Rory's still young and he could well return to form (my belief) or sure, he could slide down the rankings. He starts shooting scores like me, I'll worry about him.

It isn't the equipment. EVERYBODY has good stuff. Add in the enormous amount of customization available to him, and you could recreate anything he wants with a Nike logo.

I think Rory believes what he said in his press conference yesterday. He knows it's going to come back, and he's just going to keep working until it does.

I feel like this is a thread every time Rors tees it up. Rors just needs a TW lesson on playing golf and handling his 'love' life while he's in his 20s. Just don't, under any circumstances, put a ring on it.

I feel like this is a thread every time Rors tees it up. Rors just needs a TW lesson on playing golf and handling his 'love' life while he's in his 20s. Just don't, under any circumstances, put a ring on it.

Ironically just 2 years ago (and for the last few years), quite a few said Tiger needs a lesson from Rory on playing golf.

I think his life outside of golf is distracting him a lil also. (girlfriend & vacations & such)

tappin from my big as note2

Exactly, I really believe it's a lack of focus that's hurting him this year. He has other things on his mind, that most early twenty something's are distracted with.

And it continues, he's +6

tappin from my big as note2

Changing equipment is part of the game for tour pros. Almost all of them do it on a regular basis. Rory's problems are Rory, not the gear.

Giant piles of money. Hot, fit girlfriend. Still makes millions on tour and through endorsement deals. Young guy with a technically sound swing that doesn't crush his body.

He'll get there. It's not just the equipment.

People struggle, and Rory is no exception. Rory also has Phil's mentality, which is that a missed cut isn't going to bring him down (although several missed cuts probably does). If Rory doesn't play well the second half of the season like he did last year, look for him to make a coach change.

He shouldn't have switched to Nike, but a top golfer like him shouldn't be effected for that long by it.

~Rock

I wish a crappy year for me yielded 1.4 Million at the halfway point. And that's just on the course.

Rory just needs a better mental coach/sports psych to get out from under his curly lock and have FUN playing golf again... until that happens there wil be no magic like last year.

Looks to me like he needs to reset his goals. Without them you have nothing to measure against and nothing to strive for. It is hard to stay with the top 1% of the top 1% when you are not driven to win. Right now he does not appear driven to win.

IMO, everyone is making waaaaaay too much out of Rory's slump. Its got nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with Rory's mental state and his preparation.
Just look at Rory, he isnt in the same shape that he was last season. Last year, he was kind of buff and this year he just looks like a normal dude.
IMO, its just a matter that he is a young man who is in love and spending time with his girlfriend is just more important to him than golf right now.
It makes me kind of laugh that some people are such Nike haters that they cant resist trying to use this as some kind of proof that Nike sucks.
As for him, "selling his soul", whats wrong with making as much money as you can, while you can? Should Rory feel bad for being offered so much money by Nike and taking it??? I think not!

IMO, everyone is making waaaaaay too much out of Rory's slump. Its got nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with Rory's mental state and his preparation.
Just look at Rory, he isnt in the same shape that he was last season. Last year, he was kind of buff and this year he just looks like a normal dude.
IMO, its just a matter that he is a young man who is in love and spending time with his girlfriend is just more important to him than golf right now.
It makes me kind of laugh that some people are such Nike haters that they cant resist trying to use this as some kind of proof that Nike sucks.
As for him, "selling his soul", whats wrong with making as much money as you can, while you can? Should Rory feel bad for being offered so much money by Nike and taking it??? I think not!

Lol I really don't think that's what people are thinking at all. No one said Nike sucks.

He knows it's not the equipment. What's the difference between Titleist blades and Nike blades, especially for a player of his caliber. It's not the equipment, just a lack of confidence. He's in a slump and he'll find his way back soon enough. Taking a contract of that size just focuses the eye and the scrutiny of the public on you. He knew what he was getting into. When his putting comes around the rest will follow. "Show me the money!"

Lol I really don't think that's what people are thinking at all. No one said Nike sucks.
Youd be surprised. There have been many people who have drawn the conclusion that Titleist must be better than Nike since Rory is suddenly struggling so much.

He knows it's not the equipment. What's the difference between Titleist blades and Nike blades, especially for a player of his caliber.
Especially since they are both forged by Endo. The notion that somehow the performance or quality of Titleist is superior is laughable, at best.

The only piece of equipment that is failing Rory right now is his putter, and he has tried both his Scotty and his Nike this year.

He's a kid, he got a huge payday, hes's dating a major sports celebrity, he's constantly being questioned about his equipment change. It's no wonder he's a little distracted.

He will get through it. He is too talented not too.

I don't think he sold his soul. He can't putt right now and if I'm not mistaken he did recently use his old Scotty. His swing with the driver is off way off. He will get it back and I don't think it's a big deal that a young guy has his struggles.

Back