iPhone GPS - Golfshot or MobiTee?

ChrisHatesTuna

English Rookie
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to pick up some GPS software for my phone as it seems the most cost effective way to use this tech. I played at a club with built in GPS on the buggies and it really helped my game so definitely looking to get a bit of kit.

After a bit of research it appears that Golfshot and MobiTee appear to be the best two, just wondering if anybody has any experience with either?

Ideally I'd like to get whichever is the simplest to use on course, the main features I would use are shot tracking as I have no idea currently my average yardage for each club in my bag and I'd like to be able to know the distance to any point on a given hole (not just the green) so I can know specific distances to set up a 100yd lay up etc. Simple and quick scoring and handicap (CONGU UK) features would be ideal too.

Cheers guys.

Try PGA Tour Caddy. The free 30 day trial is pretty cool and after it's up it's still a very accurate GPS with a picture lay out of each hole

I use golfshot. I really like it. It's easy to use.

I seem to remember Jman saying FunGolf was the best one he'd reviewed of them all.

I tried the smartphone gps thing and didnt like it so much... its not as accurate and most smartphone screens are hard to read under the sun.

But the most annoying for me was that it kills the battery, you need near to a full charge if you want to play 18 holes, and forget the 27-36 holes days.

one other thing i didnt like is to carry it and having to go in the bag before every shot to look at the yardage. and i ended up buying a Garmin S2 GPS watch. It has a little bit less features, but it is very accurate and quick to read.

my advice would be to try it before buying a 30$ app, after which you might want to look at a "real" GPS device

I seem to remember Jman saying FunGolf was the best one he'd reviewed of them all.

Was his review on the $19.99 pro app or the lite app?

Hawk is wise.

Much better options than both of those out there IMO.

Also, I've never had an app drain my battery out in all my reviews like some apparently have, yes, the usage is high, but never to the point of making the battery die. I play days of 18 and 36 with all of the apps I review.

I tried the smartphone gps thing and didnt like it so much... its not as accurate and most smartphone screens are hard to read under the sun.

But the most annoying for me was that it kills the battery, you need near to a full charge if you want to play 18 holes, and forget the 27-36 holes days.

one other thing i didnt like is to carry it and having to go in the bag before every shot to look at the yardage. and i ended up buying a Garmin S2 GPS watch. It has a little bit less features, but it is very accurate and quick to read.

my advice would be to try it before buying a 30$ app, after which you might want to look at a "real" GPS device

I tend to agree with this, at least with the S3 phone. That or buy an extended life battery of some sort.

Hawk is wise.

Also, I've never had an app drain my battery out in all my reviews like some apparently have, yes, the usage is high, but never to the point of making the battery die. I play days of 18 and 36 with all of the apps I review.

You may be right Jman, it is probably device related or something

I had the same complaint, but there are options. If you have the right smart phone, you can use the Franken Battery at www.zerolemon.com or you can use what was reviewed here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=19731 if you have an iPhone.

I still have a standalone GPS but I am beginning to make the switch to the phone apps.

You may be right Jman, it is probably device related or something

I've played 36 many times with both Golfshot and PGA Tour Caddy, and never run out of battery.

See I'm still old school when it comes to my phone on a course. If I keep it on, it's on silent in my valuables pouch in my bag and I leave it there until the turn and then when I'm done. I just don't wanna think about anything but golf when I'm playing. So I love having my gps. It's small enough to keep in a pocket and not really notice it or just keep it in the cart. One button and I get my yardage

I've played 36 many times with both Golfshot and PGA Tour Caddy, and never run out of battery.

Me too, and I used the GPS on GolfShot since too I never played the course before.

See I'm still old school when it comes to my phone on a course. If I keep it on, it's on silent in my valuables pouch in my bag and I leave it there until the turn and then when I'm done. I just don't wanna think about anything but golf when I'm playing. So I love having my gps. It's small enough to keep in a pocket and not really notice it or just keep it in the cart. One button and I get my yardage

^^^^^THAT!^^^^

isnt it annoying when your golf partners answer the phone on the course too?
i know there are ways, like plane mode with gps enabled, but its just not for me

Hawk is wise.

Jman - I'm pretty sure I already asked, but which app do you currently use? Or want to use the most? Tracking shot distances is critical to me.

Thanks for the reviews!

FunGolf is my go to of all the ones I've reviewed, love it.

Hawk is wise.

You would recommend FunGolf then? I'm open to any to be honest as long as it's simple and quick to use whilst on course and I can touch anywhere on the hole and get a distance to set up different lay up shots.

You would recommend FunGolf then? I'm open to any to be honest as long as it's simple and quick to use whilst on course and I can touch anywhere on the hole and get a distance to set up different lay up shots.

Chris, for the pure tap and get distances feature Mobitee might be the one for you as it's clean and easy to do so. I prefer FunGolf because I like to track all of my distances for each club.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Golfshot GPS. I've been using it for a couple of years, and really like the interface and the stats that are kept.

I tried TourCaddie, and did not like the interface at all.

Chris, for the pure tap and get distances feature Mobitee might be the one for you as it's clean and easy to do so. I prefer FunGolf because I like to track all of my distances for each club.

I appreciate the input Jman. Does Mobitee not offer distance tracking then? This would also be an ideal feature for me as I have no real concrete stats on how far I hit each club in my bag, I wouldn't be after anything too in depth but just a general distance for my full swings would be great.

Another vote for GolfShot. I find it easy to use and accurate. I have also added GolfPlan and GolfScape to my apps. Golfplan analyzes your statistics from GolfShot and provides video instruction on your weak areas. It's been helpful for me.

Back