The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a bunch of rain today so both ranges I attempted to visit tonight were closed...grrrr. However, I got to spend some time chipping/pitching with the MD2's and they're really starting to feel good. I can feel some low numbers coming with those.

Which wedges did you have before?

Which wedges did you have before?

Adams Puglielli. They were a lot heavier than the MD2's, so it's been a bit of a transition to get used to the new feel.

Adams Puglielli. They were a lot heavier than the MD2's, so it's been a bit of a transition to get used to the new feel.

I think the MD2 even feels lighter than the 588s I've got. I was quite surprised. However I think it feels good.

I understand why it would take some time to get the feel for them.

I don't know what I was doing today at the range but I need to put it out of my head. I couldn't make solid contact with anything and I felt like I had undone 2 years of work. Grrr

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Looks like my pre-vacation swing is starting to come back. I have had 3 nice range sessions this week. Ball flight is getting back where it should be. Just need to keep hands soft. This weekends round might turn out to be decent. Looking forward to them.

This week in the golf swing of dhill
Tuesday Range – irons good. Driver bad. Worked on putting for 45 minutes.

Wednesday Golf Lesson:
It was great to get back to a lesson this week.
We talked about the Morgan Cup for a bit and then we got to work. I was fighting getting steep again.
Went and looked at some video and got to work. One of my biggest struggles is getting the hands turned over as its something I’ve never really done. He had me aiming way right and working on hitting a hook. Wanted to over exaggerate the feeling so it would start to click with me. It was hard but I started hitting them much straighter. Kelley is one of the most acclaimed teachers in the area and I feel so comfortable taking lessons there. I never question, is this right for me. The combination of video and being outside is incredible.
He said, now we’re gonna have some fun. Now that your tournament is over, I know you’ll work hard to really “get” this. Our next checkpoint so to speak is how good you can be by the start of next golf season. That doesn’t mean I’m not playing anymore in 2013, just I’m not super focused on the score and don’t have a team relying on me right now. I can really drop my handicap if I can become a good driver of the golf ball. My irons have been really solid lately, still room for improvement but good.

After we hit a lot of drives, he wanted to see my 7i again before we finished. I took a practice swing and stepped up and stripped the ball. He was just laughing and I looked back puzzled. He said he was really enjoying teaching me with how passionate I was and how much I’d already improved in the 2 months we’ve worked together. He said after that many driver swings a lot of people will top that shot. I hit another 3 or 4 with nice high tight draws. Just have to keep working to see that come out in the driver. I know its easy for bad habits to come back into play when you start pressing. I practiced for another 30 minutes before leaving and felt pretty good. I’m really excited to see where I can get with my game if I can keep working hard for the next 6 months. Kelley had already told me with newer students he liked to set up 6 month and 1 year check points to see what kind of progress they were making. I will probably try to get a lesson every 3-4 weeks for the foreseeable future.

Thursday Putting - Realized that I was decelerating the putter on shorter putts by trying to take the putter back to far. Shorter back swing and just get a good roll on the ball. Don’t stop at the ball. Really rolling it solid when I left the range and headed to the PT job.

Driving Range Session Friday – hit the ball fairly well. Started with putting and some wedges. Feeling better with the putter in hand.

Dhill, I am somewhat jealous of your practice regimen. And by somewhat, I mean extremely.

Dhill, I am somewhat jealous of your practice regimen. And by somewhat, I mean extremely.

I won't be able to get in that much starting soon unless I really pull some strings.
My schedule's gonna look something like this.

Grad school kicks back in here in 2 weeks and some of my practice time is going to have to move to lunch hour, so I'll do 30-60 minute sessions but I think they will be focused and not a full bag practice like I get to do now sometimes.
Driver
Long Clubs
Mid Irons
Short Irons
Wedges
Putting

Have to figure out how to get some time with all of them.

Not that I get out to practice much anymore, but I always find the shorter and more focused the session, typically the better the result. Seems when I'm focusing on a particular club, or one move or change in particular, tunnel vision sets in and the results come easier and more quickly.

Lesson tonight. Either my instructor is a genius or I'm an idiot (we know which one it is) because after about five minutes all is well in the world. I wrote it down this time for future reference.

Lesson tonight. Either my instructor is a genius or I'm an idiot (we know which one it is) because after about five minutes all is well in the world. I wrote it down this time for future reference.

Hard part is hanging on to it. Easy to slip into bad habits

Had a really good session at the range today. The goal of the range was to test out a few new clubs, but what is a trip to the range without hitting driver. I started hitting my usual fade/slice, and then decided to tweak a few things to see if I couldn't get different (better) results. I changed a few things and was very pleased. I have no grasp of distance (carried at least 220, the farthest flag, but don't know beyond that), but I was hitting it straight or even a little draw pretty consistently. I was able to prop up my phone on my bag and get some video that I'll be pouring over for clues on what I did right.

Next I switched to my new 49* GW and was immediately pleased. The weight was closer to my irons instead of my wedges, which is what I was going for, and I was able to consistently hit it into a decent breeze about 95, which is right where I wanted it. Was taking consistent divots (something I don't usually do), and was getting a great straight ball flight. I even hit the flag that I was aiming for; never done that before.

After my GW, I went to the short game area and to try out a Titleist SM4 56* SW that my boss is looking to sell, and comparing it to my current 56* wedge. I was amazed how much heavier it was from my current wedge, and then noticed how much quicker the ball checked up off of a quality wedge. My current (soon to be old) SW is from the classic Tom Watson set, and it would roll out about 3-5 feet on 20 yard chips. On the same chips, the SM4 would stop in about 2 feet. So much easier to control than my cheapo Watson wedge.

Finished up and got home just in time to start watching golf. What a great day it has been.

Last edited:
Worked at the range on my driver; have struggled off the tee with it the past few rounds. I need to bring my driving range game to the tee boxes and I'll save 4-6 strokes a round.

Focused on a nice slow tempo going back and getting my weight forward in my downswing. Will get some video done tomorrow at my lesson but have just been too inconsistent with it as of late.

Hit some balls for the first time since the mc. Wasnt bad at all hit the driver well and killed my brother in a closest to the pin contest from 90 yards

Hit some balls for the first time since the mc. Wasnt bad at all hit the driver well and killed my brother in a closest to the pin contest from 90 yards

I plan to bring my J40 driver to Vegas just to see you hit it with the correct shaft.

I plan to bring my J40 driver to Vegas just to see you hit it with the correct shaft.

Sounds good
...and full disclose it was my brothers driver i hit well today lol

Hit a couple of buckets of balls today, worked on flattening my swing plane. Had gotten way too steep, especially with the driver and long irons. End result is that the draw setting on my Cobra Amp Cell is just not working anymore. For every sexy looking draw there's two snap-hooks. The neutral setting produces a pretty reliable 3 to 5 yard off center-line fade, which I'm pretty happy with. Then headed over to the practice green and put a lot of time into my lag putting. Getting better at embracing the idea of hitting into the "grog bowl" from 20+ feet away and setting myself up for a tap-in.

I don't care if I go double bogey all day tomorrow, so long as I don't have any 3-putts, I'll be fine. Then again, if I don't have any three putts and I hit similar shots as last week, I'll be something like 6 over 9, which would have me so stoked. But with the distance and accuracy I'm gaining with the new driver, might be even better.

Feels good to have this much confidence going into a new round. Just need to keep this attitude

Hit a bucket tonight at the range and had some chipping/pitching and putting practice. A very productive night indeed.

Hit a bucket this morning. Aside from the few warm up shots with my wedges and irons I hit only my driver. It was bad and of course I have a fitting in 5 hours with my driver. I can feel myself coming over the top and because I know this when I try to fix it I start to try to control the club face with my hands which makes everything worse and makes my swing feel tense. I see it as I have five hours to relax and forget about what just happened or I will waste another fitting.

Blah. That just about sums it up this week. Won't have much time for practice after today. Gotta get ready for visitors and a birthday party this weekend.

Taking the boy with me to the range. No clue what I want to work on, so I'll probably just bang a few balls and watch him.

Blah. That just about sums it up this week. Won't have much time for practice after today. Gotta get ready for visitors and a birthday party this weekend.

Taking the boy with me to the range. No clue what I want to work on, so I'll probably just bang a few balls and watch him.

Come on Hawk. Get it together buddy. Just take a wedge or a single club out there. Have some fun man

Come on Hawk. Get it together buddy. Just take a wedge or a single club out there. Have some fun man

Well dang! I might have needed that lol. I will. Do need to work on the shorty putts and could use a shot of confidence, so I'll pull out the Swingyde and do some iron work.

Well dang! I might have needed that lol. I will. Do need to work on the shorty putts and could use a shot of confidence, so I'll pull out the Swingyde and do some iron work.

There you go! Putting contest against the little guy. He makes one for every 3 of yours or something.

There you go! Putting contest against the little guy. He makes one for every 3 of yours or something.

He's so cool. Best practice partner ever. Every shot I hit is great to him haha.

I took him to the pitch and putt on Saturday and he drained a 10 footer. Called himself Phil Mickelson and asked me if he got a trophy now.

I've fallen off this wagon too. I really ground hard at the start if the season getting myself into tournament shape and ready for the Outing. I had a sort of mental letdown after that. Got out of the habit of getting up and practicing early and taking advantage of time after work before Kristen got home. Going to get back into working on it again. Have one more tournament left in the IGA season that I can still play in along with random event here and there. So I'm getting back on it. Back to the practice grind. Also I think I'm going to upgrade my practice balls to my usual gamers as well. Just some grade 4A or even 3A Bridgestones. It should make my practice more effective for real life on the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back