TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

You might consider talking to TM customer service about this. They are extremely helpful, you never know what they might do for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I might have to give that a try. All of the Golf Towns here are listed as select fit locations for TM but for whatever reason the don't get the shafts for the drivers for fittings.

I've got an urge to go out and get an R1 now after my recent acquisition. I've looked around a little to try and find a proper fitting center here but nobody seems to have the additional shafts for me to try out, just the stock and TP RIP. The RIP Phenom 65 feels nice but it would be preferable to try some of the other options if I'm going to spend the money since everybody seems to love this driver and that has been a struggle for me the last few years.

GolfTec Edmonton
8.8 kilometers
17556- 100 Avenue
Edmonton, Edmonton T5S 2S2

Phone: 877-446-5383

Yikes, I went to the site to sign up for a fitting and the cost was going to be $130. That seems a little high to me for a fitting for 1 club or is that normal.

Yikes, I went to the site to sign up for a fitting and the cost was going to be $130. That seems a little high to me for a fitting for 1 club or is that normal.

Fairly normal. Some places will credit you the fitting fee if you buy from them. My last iron fitting was $100 IIRC.

Am I the only one not getting a consistent ball flight out of this thing. I have tried the app to get it tuned but a quarter of my shots are low bullets and very short. I have never had this inconsistency with a driver before.

Am I the only one not getting a consistent ball flight out of this thing. I have tried the app to get it tuned but a quarter of my shots are low bullets and very short. I have never had this inconsistency with a driver before.

More recently I think I have started learning that it is important to tee the ball up high. 3 1/4 tee, not in the ground much. The flight is much more consistently high and penetrating now. In fact, I've gone down from 12* to 10.5* and not seen much change (if any) in trajectory.

More recently I think I have started learning that it is important to tee the ball up high. 3 1/4 tee, not in the ground much. The flight is much more consistently high and penetrating now. In fact, I've gone down from 12* to 10.5* and not seen much change (if any) in trajectory.

I again agree with tequila on his R1 insight. I have seen much better results teeing the ball higher. Higher and longer with a nice draw. Tee it high for sure.

Taps away

I again agree with tequila on his R1 insight. I have seen much better results teeing the ball higher. Higher and longer with a nice draw. Tee it high for sure.

Taps away

DEFINITELY helps me a ton to tee it up nice and high. My best drives tend to hit the face about a half-ball above dead center, and can vary about the same distance toward the toe (not the heel, usually). But I find it to be very consistent for me. Long, high and forgiving. Love it.

Another in agreement with the previous three posters. Low is certainly the punishing miss. This club comes alive higher on the face.

Tee it fly and let it fly.

Ok, if I go and pick one of these up which color, white or black?

Ok, if I go and pick one of these up which color, white or black?

I suggest trying both and figuring out if you sense a difference. It's generally personal preference only.

Taps away

Copied from the R1 Black thread to make sure this club gets its due:

I LOVE this driver. I had my best driving day ever, only missed 1 FW with it today and that was blatantly a bad swing. Everything else was just awesomely in the short stuff. I didn't catch a couple of them but they were in the middle of the fairway. I caught most of them flush and thanks to tee'ing them up higher and lower the loft, I have found more distance. And best of all I had TOTAL confidence today that the right side of the fairway was simply out of play. I literally would stand over the ball and think to myself "Fire away, this ball is not going right." It was awesome. Seriously, before R1Black driver was the weakest part of my game.

Picked up my R1 last night with my black tie shaft installed. Looking forward to hitting the range tonight with it and dialing it in.

Picked up my R1 last night with my black tie shaft installed. Looking forward to hitting the range tonight with it and dialing it in.

Congrats on the purchase! What settings are you going to start at? What do you think you'll end up with?

Going to start neutral and depending on the ball flight I will go from there. I have always had draw settings before but will configure it for whatever flight is best.

Sweeeeeet! I still remember picking mine up when I had the Red Tie installed! Have fun and send us a pic if you can!

Yeah, well the range never happened tonight. Showed up to find the had it closed down for the night. They said it happens every Wednesday night but I'm sure I have been there Wednesdays before. I hope I get out with it before the Alberta THP get together this Saturday or it might be an interesting round. ;) The weather forecasts here for the next couple of days are thunderstorms so we shall see.

Yeah, well the range never happened tonight. Showed up to find the had it closed down for the night. They said it happens every Wednesday night but I'm sure I have been there Wednesdays before. I hope I get out with it before the Alberta THP get together this Saturday or it might be an interesting round. ;) The weather forecasts here for the next couple of days are thunderstorms so we shall see.

Don't worry dude I will offer mulligans just so you can hit it in different settings.

Don't worry dude I will offer mulligans just so you can hit it in different settings.

It's not the mulligans I'm worried about. It's the poor squirrels that will be running for cover that should be worried. :beat-up:

I've had my new black R1 out to the range a couple of times and am very pleased with how I am hitting it. I started hitting it just as it came.....I like the flight without making changes. Is it odd that I don't want to mess with it? I guess it's good I have the ability......

It's great if the stock settings are working for you but I would still tinker with it. You never know, you might gain 17 yards. ;)

I'm going to do some reading on the settings and maybe watch some youtube videos on the set up.......who knows. The ball flight is already higher than my old Titleist.......but I'm fine with that because it seems I'm getting considerable more carry....but I think anything higher might be problematic in any wind whatsoever. The ball flight is pretty straight......the ball looks like it just falls left.

I'm going to do some reading on the settings and maybe watch some youtube videos on the set up.......who knows. The ball flight is already higher than my old Titleist.......but I'm fine with that because it seems I'm getting considerable more carry....but I think anything higher might be problematic in any wind whatsoever. The ball flight is pretty straight......the ball looks like it just falls left.

That's what I was getting at 12* and 11.25*. 10.5* gives me more rollout and so far it is still straight. Go back to page 85 or 95 of this thread for a list of the natural open/closed settings based on loft settings. If you move off of 10.5 (natural true neutral) you need that info as a baseline for getting your open/closed setting right.

Back