Stand Bag Shopping - Thoughts?

Buckeyeduffer

Reaction score
Handicap
Work
I'm in the market for a new stand bag. I have an older Ogio that has been extremely durable, but the functionality of some of the pockets to me has been irritating. I'm looking to update it. What features have you guys found invaluable in newer bags? The Cobra Amp Bag has caught my eye as far as appearances go, does anyone have experiences with that particular bag to share? My last question is does it make you a golf nerd to carry a branded bag the same as your sticks? What's your opinion there?

The Ogio bag that Wake just got is gorgeous - wish I didn't just get a new stand bag in December.

I just bought an Ogio Nebula that I am becoming quite fond of. I used to have a 2010 Sun Mountain Three 5 prior. Went for the Ogio because:

(1) wanted to stay away from club brand bags
(2) wanted at least 5 full length dividers but not 14
(3) needed a bigger top opening due to my use of primarily Midsize or built up grips.

So far my thoughts on the bag are really positive. The larger top has been great to reduce clubs sticking and I like that I still have a 6-way divider. Chatter seems lower with the upside down u-dividers. A lot of people have been fussing about Ogio's marketing of this being 3.8lb bag though. I can verify that is BS, but it still only came in weighing 0.2lbs more (4.8lbs) than my Three 5 (4.6lbs). I keep my bag super organized and with a lot of stuff throughout. The Ogio bag was a step up in almost every way from Sun Mountain with exception of style. The only negative is I think the color ways are sort of mediocre. I went with the white personally.

The Ogio bag that Wake just got is gorgeous - wish I didn't just get a new stand bag in December.

I'm considering a newer model OGIO as well. Which one does Wake have? I noticed the weights of the different models can vary a number of pounds. I don't carry a tremendous amount of extra stuff, and typically only walk when playing 9.

I've never thought a lb or two makes that big of a difference... I carry my Hoofer (not recommended) with a lot of extra crap in it, so what's another couple of lbs?

I for one am looking at sun mountains hybrid or 3.5? They offer two stand bags with 14 full length dividers that I will from now on wil require in whatever bag I get. My current bag gives me hell everytime I pull/put in a club.

I'm considering a newer model OGIO as well. Which one does Wake have? I noticed the weights of the different models can vary a number of pounds. I don't carry a tremendous amount of extra stuff, and typically only walk when playing 9.

I believe he got the Ozone

Make sure whatever bag you buy has FULL LENGTH club dividers. I get so annoyed with my grips coming together and my clubs never sitting right when I put them in their place without a ton of fidgeting.

Yep I got a Ogio Ozone XX, and have been extremely happy with it so far. IT has very functional pockets, great legs on the stand, the padding on the carry straps are excellent. The best part of the bag, and the thing that seperates it from the pack for me, was the Woode divider system. It is just excellent, best I have used. The one downside I have come upon is the slot it has for a cart strap to go through. This is an awesome feature that I really appreciate, but it only works if you have it on the drivers side of the cart. It doesn't work properly on the passenger side. It is also made from a slightly heavier material, which to me gives it a higher quality appearance and feel. The only downside is the bag is SLIGHTLY heavier than some of the others, but by the time you put clubs and balls in I doubt you could tell the difference.

I really like the Sun Mountain bags, but unfortunately they only seem to be offered in 4 way or 14 way, nothing in between. I've had 14 way and it is a giant hassle, while 4 way is just not enough. A standard 6 way is fine, but the Woode is perfect.

I'll post some pics in a bit.

Personally I love my bags to have 14 full length dividers. I have been looking for a new stand bag but have not found one that fits my needs or my eye.

I dont think there is anything wrong with carrying the same brand golf bag as you have clubs or carrying a bag that you have no clubs of. Go with the bag you like the looks and function of. The people that are wrapped up if I play matching gear/bags/clothes/staff bag etc are not the ones I care to play with. I play what I like sometimes it is matching sometimes it is not sometimes I play with a staff bag at times a carry bag at times and a normal cart bag at times. I am in the boat that you should never let other peoples perception of things alter what you like and what makes you happy.

I really like the Sun Mountain bags, but unfortunately they only seem to be offered in 4 way or 14 way, nothing in between. I've had 14 way and it is a giant hassle,

Can you comment on why the 14 way is a hassle? My friend has the Ogio Gromm XX and it seems sweet. One of the things I really liked (not having used it) was the 14 way divider. It seemed nice to have a spot for each club. But if it's a hassle, I don't want to fork over all that money for something I want to replace the next day!

Thanks in advance!

I grabbed a Ogio Vapor stand bag a month ago. Switched from a Cobra GT cart bag.

Upsides: Much smaller size (great for trying to take it with me when on camping trips and trying to fit two cart bags in the back of a cart can be a pain at times), carry much less gear and balls, great for the range having the bag steady itself.

Downside: Wish the pockets were a bit larger, and the legs themselves can be a bit of a problem when securing to a push cart.

Overall I have no real regrets about switching... aside from the fact my cart bag matched my ClicGear much better color wise.

Can you comment on why the 14 way is a hassle? My friend has the Ogio Gromm XX and it seems sweet. One of the things I really liked (not having used it) was the 14 way divider. It seemed nice to have a spot for each club. But if it's a hassle, I don't want to fork over all that money for something I want to replace the next day!

Thanks in advance!

I don't like the 14 way because when I take a bunch of clubs from the cart to a shot, I have to put them back in the right spot. With a bag with a 6 way or 5 way (or whatever) divider system, I just have to get it in the right area. And a lot of times most of the clubs are from one of the areas so I can just take three clubs and put them in in one motion. I'll never get another 14 way bag.

For those of you with the OGIO's, did you shop at the store or online? I ask this in terms of the bag's appearance and color schemes. I'm partial to certain colors and yet some of the designs seem to have funky patterns to them...at least from the "stock" photos.

Last edited:
I used to have a Sun Mountain but switched over to Ogio Grom. I think the legs are sturdier on the Ogio. Styling is personal preference, but I really like mine (black, with white pinstripes in some spots and orange accents).

I really like the Woode System on the Grom. The clubs group nicely, but I also have some "spare" space. I often carry more than 14 clubs to the range when I am testing things and a bag that is 14 slots and 14 only just doesn't work for me.

I personally prefer to get a bag that is not branded like any club in my bag. That way I can swap clubs out without worrying about mismatch (or the cheesiness of matching).

I'm currently looking at the Ozone or the Recoil. I have no issues with the 14 way top. Anyone use the Recoil? The only catch is with the Recoil, I can only get it in the red at the right price. I like red, I'm just a bit unsure about Ogio's Madrid pattern.

I pretty much agree wtih smalls and Ryebread. With 14 way dividers, it takes a while to grab and put away clubs if you are taking a few over to your ball, and having the ability to carry a few extra clubs is very nice when testing out clubs. I also found that you had to make sure to pull the club straight out with a 14 way divider,a nd if you pulled it out as you were walking away, it would tend to get stuck, annoying.

Like I said, I don't like a 4 way divider, where they are all jumbled together, but with the Woode system it is perfect. It is organized, but you still have wiggle room.

I've used 4 way, 6 way, woode and 14 way, and I like the 6 way just fine, but I am loving the Woode so far.

Wow, thanks for the comments on the 14 way versus the woode system. I frankly didn't even consider it. I'm not as concerned about the 'bringing a few clubs' issue as I'm either in a cart or have the bag with me. Sure, I have to cross a fairway once in a while and have my partner meet me but choosing the wrong club hasn't ever been a constraint for me. I'm casual enough that if I do, I just hit it anyway. :)

But the having to pull it all the way up would be a significant issue, especially in a golf cart and it's something I had not considered. Plus, I never heard of the Woode system until now. I'll have to head over to Golfsmith and take another look.

I don't like the 14 way because when I take a bunch of clubs from the cart to a shot, I have to put them back in the right spot. With a bag with a 6 way or 5 way (or whatever) divider system, I just have to get it in the right area. And a lot of times most of the clubs are from one of the areas so I can just take three clubs and put them in in one motion. I'll never get another 14 way bag.

I pretty much agree wtih smalls and Ryebread. With 14 way dividers, it takes a while to grab and put away clubs if you are taking a few over to your ball, and having the ability to carry a few extra clubs is very nice when testing out clubs. I also found that you had to make sure to pull the club straight out with a 14 way divider,a nd if you pulled it out as you were walking away, it would tend to get stuck, annoying.

Like I said, I don't like a 4 way divider, where they are all jumbled together, but with the Woode system it is perfect. It is organized, but you still have wiggle room.

I've used 4 way, 6 way, woode and 14 way, and I like the 6 way just fine, but I am loving the Woode so far.

I thought about it, and you know, if you are getting a stand bag, that generally means you are carrying your bag, or at lest have a pull/push cart, so you won't be pulling out a bunch of clubs to go make one shot. In that case, a 14-way would probably be OK. But I use a stand bag on a riding cart, which is why I won't use a 14-way.

I thought about it, and you know, if you are getting a stand bag, that generally means you are carrying your bag, or at lest have a pull/push cart, so you won't be pulling out a bunch of clubs to go make one shot. In that case, a 14-way would probably be OK. But I use a stand bag on a riding cart, which is why I won't use a 14-way.

I ride way more than I carry, but I went ahead and went with the stand bag because I was tired of my bag taking up my entire trunk space, tired of lugging a heavy bag around, AND I like that walking is now an option even if I don't have my push cart with me. And actually when I do walk is when I grab a few clubs the most. On my home courses there are alot of places where I will leave my bag between two fairways after my approach shot. Grab my wedges (if I missed) my putter, and my driver and start walking. I can then finish the whole, tee off, and then retrieve my bag on the way to my tee ball. Makes life much easier.

In the end bag configuration is a preference, go to the store and play around with them, you can also goof off with buddy's bags to figure out what you like.

As promised a few pics

My ogio ozone xx
a4u3y8y6.jpg

5aha3y8y.jpg

Another color in the ozone
2ugu5u9a.jpg

The Callaway XTT that the staffers received is a sweet bag. I checked them out and they seem to be a flat out performer. Perhaps they one of them can weigh in on those as well.

As promised a few pics

My ogio ozone xx
a4u3y8y6.jpg

5aha3y8y.jpg

Another color in the ozone
2ugu5u9a.jpg

How does that red really look in person in your opinion?

I currently have a Ping Hoofer (six way top) and a Sun Mountain Hybrid (14 way top) and I am not crazy about either. And now reading this thread and seeing Wake's Ogio makes me wish I still had my Ogio Grom with the Woodie top that I had 7 years ago................

How does that red really look in person in your opinion?

It looked great, I was really close to getting it. The blue/plaid that I picked up is definitely very loud, but I love it. I heavily considered the Red though, I let my wife decide and she liked the blue.

Back