Blue and green is going to look awesome.

ive always used Testors but im waiting on some Tamiya clear orange, green and blue to arrive. Interested to see how they look

I'm sure this has been asked, but I see the paint overflowing the groves of the paint job. How does the lines come out so crisp, when I see paint over the ridges of the #s

after your done and it dries for about 10-20 mins i take nail polish remover and a paper towel folded over and quickly go over the spot you have painted and ba da bing ba da boom nice clean paint fill

Alright here are the final pics:

WP_20130813_022_zps1e3c73c2.jpg
WP_20130813_026_zps4b5bdb30.jpg

WP_20130813_031_zps44b437cf.jpg
WP_20130813_035_zpsf7e79337.jpg
WP_20130813_036_zpsdaa70e4f.jpg

I think it came out great, I am loving the woods, and the drivers face paint!

And to ghost, all I do when I paint fill is over fill the grooves I am painting and when the paint starts to dry (you can visibly tell the paint has sunken into the grooves) I take a paper towel, and dab it in either nail polish remover, or in my case today, isopropyl alcohol (92%) and rub over it. it take off the excess and leaves nice tight lines.

Alright here are the final pics:

WP_20130813_022_zps1e3c73c2.jpg
WP_20130813_026_zps4b5bdb30.jpg

WP_20130813_031_zps44b437cf.jpg
WP_20130813_035_zpsf7e79337.jpg
WP_20130813_036_zpsdaa70e4f.jpg

I think it came out great, I am loving the woods, and the drivers face paint!

And to ghost, all I do when I paint fill is over fill the grooves I am painting and when the paint starts to dry (you can visibly tell the paint has sunken into the grooves) I take a paper towel, and dab it in either nail polish remover, or in my case today, isopropyl alcohol (92%) and rub over it. it take off the excess and leaves nice tight lines.

Looking Good

Looking good lately guys!

Austin those look great. Nice combination of colours. Also like to see what other guys have done to their SeeMore putters

This is not near what Vegan has done, but here was my first venture into club building, painting and paint filling about a year or so ago.

This was a trial run. Ended up giving it to my bro as he still loves the Launchers. It is shafted with the red and white R9 driver shaft.

I thought it turned out pretty good, ferrule has since been turned down.

This is not near what Vegan has done, but here was my first venture into club building, painting and paint filling about a year or so ago.

This was a trial run. Ended up giving it to my bro as he still loves the Launchers. It is shafted with the red and white R9 driver shaft.

I thought it turned out pretty good, ferrule has since been turned down.

I presume you also did the crown? Looks great. I still have one of those in my garage. Might have to give it a similar treatment.

Of all the fills I have done, I always feel like it just doesn't look right. Only one I have stayed with is my Vokey that I did in Green/Orange.

Seemore I did in blue this week, finished it all, then took it all back off again because I didn't like it.

Must be OCD or something, if it doesn't look right, its coming back off again.

well the testors paint held up i played a round friday afternoon and i was impressed of how well this paint hold up.

So I'm at the local Wal-Mart on some errands and I come across this in the craft section while looking for something for my wife:
Spoiler

28id.jpg

Now I know that normal people don't see paint pens and immediately think, "Paint-fill my golf clubs!" But normal people are not Hackers like you & me. Plus, it has orange & blue, two colors I had thought about doing for my clubs.
So I did some experimentation on an old Tommy Armour iron I've got laying around, and then naturally leap to the most ambitious project possible and grab my Vokey. I figure I'm going to have this sand wedge pretty much forever, so I don't really mind experimenting on it appearance wise (see my "Rusting up a Wedge" thread elsewhere).

I used nail polish remover and a wire brush to get the old paint fill out, then put a light layer of nail polish remover into the paint fill targets, then laid into it with the paint pens.
Spoiler

v3qb.jpg

The blue took really well, the orange took a couple of coats to get suitably bright. About a half hour later I went back and ran over the club with a micro-fiber cloth with some more nail polish remover in a buffing fashion, learned the hard way that you don't go with the long lines, tried a second time, redid the paint, buffed it out a second time, and this is the end result:
Spoiler

8qvb.jpg

I'm pretty darned happy with it. So I then went and began the process of doing my irons, which will all eventually end up something like this:
Spoiler

cfzw.jpg

It's been a fun way to do some golf stuff without getting on the course or hitting a whole lot of balls.

Last edited:
Very nice! That orange and blue turned out awesome!

Paint Fill Tools

DSC_0524_zpsa76d33f2.jpg

Preeeeeeeetty...

Jman may I ask where and how much you attained the putter display for? PM if necessary.

Last edited:
Emboldened by my recent success, I hit up my fairway woods & hybrid.

8gmy.jpg

after paint filling all my clubs, decided to do a nice matte black paint job on the set of 910 woods:

IMAG0025_zpsd7a3e2b1.jpg
IMAG0027_zps20cf7465.jpg

IMAG0028_zps428fb482.jpg
IMAG0029_zps9601e693.jpg
IMAG0033_zpsf4f3a408.jpg

Up next is my Scotty Cameron 2012 Select Newport 1.5 in the black finish.

Love the black on those. If I decide to keep the R1 it may get a makeover as well.

Those 913's look awesome, I might do that to my RBZ

NICE, Austin. What paint did you use?

Great job Austin ! How many coats did you use? How much prep did you do on them in terms of sanding etc?

Great job Austin!

Alright, here were my supplies for the job:

IMAG0036_zps170e0bd9.jpg

I bought Rustoleum brand automotive pro grade painters tape ($4 at walmart), 3M brand 800 Grit wet/dry sandpaper ($3.5walmart), Rustoleum brand spray paints (primer and flat black, $3.5 ea. walmart), 91% isopropyl, and an X-Acto knife I had in the office.

Here are some pics of the process:
IMAG0018_zpsd28b16a5.jpg
IMAG0019_zps084c4b6e.jpg
IMAG0020_zpsb3ffc1aa.jpg

IMAG0021_zps0b52fd9b.jpg
I used the 3m tape to mask off the head, and used the xacto knife to trim around the edges of where I was painting (took some time and patience, went around at the end and put smaller pieces of tape in the crooked parts to make the edges smooth.

IMAG0023_zps32f6aeb6.jpg
IMAG0030_zps5ce1f4f8.jpg

next I took the sandpaper and scuffed the finish of the area I was painting, and tried to smooth out the knicks and scratches (bag fell off the cart while playing....). don't sand to the point you're getting to the bare metal. once its sanded, take a paper towel and wet it with the isopropyl alcohol and clean off the sanded part. this ensures that the paint dust and oils are removed prior to painting.

Next, apply ONE thin coat of primer. the primer coat doesn't need to be thick for the paint to stick. I then waited 10-15 minutes and sprayed 3-4 very light coats of my flat black paint, again waiting 10-15 minutes between coats.
the biggest mistake people make when spraying their clubs is spraying too much. if you do 3-4 light coats the paint wont be dripping down the head and ruining the smoothness of the paint.
Wait 30-45 minutes and pull the tape off and you have a beautiful matte black (or your color choice) finish.

My last bit of advice is to wait AT LEAST a week before hitting the club or putting headcovers on. this gives the paint plenty of time to cure and harden, making it more durable.
also, a clear coat isn't necessary and wont actually give you any benefits what so ever over just plain paint.

if you have any questions feel free to ask :D

Quick question guys. Previously I've just paint filled over the factory paint. Well we have crappy weather here today so after work I'm gunna pick up some citristrip and redo them the correct way. Questions are how do you apply the citristrip? It's like a gel right? And how long does it need to sit for?

Before.
edamusyr.jpg

After.
7ehu3a5a.jpg

The top I did awhile ago.
apu9a9y4.jpg

Back