Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

Tough break...take it easy. We will have to get out another time! Get well!

Thanks, LB, and sorry for missing-out on tomorrow. Hope you really enjoy that rare, mid-week round. I'm wondering if I have overdone it in my vacation-week? 5 rounds in 3 days, 4-and-a-half were walking. Maybe. I was planning on 36, today, too. :banghead:

Thanks, LB, and sorry for missing-out on tomorrow. Hope you really enjoy that rare, mid-week round. I'm wondering if I have overdone it in my vacation-week? 5 rounds in 3 days, 4-and-a-half were walking. Maybe. I was planning on 36, today, too. :banghead:

dang it Rambler, you will do anything to avoid golfing with me wouldn't you? Seriously though, hope you get well soon. Are you icing it? A bucket with icy water for that foot could be the ticket.

Still room for two more at Golf Club of Illinois at 4:00 tomorrow!
Byron

How busy is it out there at that time? Can you get 18 in before dark? Sounds really tempting to sneak away and join you guys. I've got the golf pass too... 2 for 1!

Last edited:
Wow Rambler! That's hitting it pretty hard. I have a vacation week next week, but I won't be getting that much in. (If anyone is interested). I hope that you feel better by the 17th. I was hoping to get up to Kansasville.
Unfortunately I won't be available this weekend. Something about 33rd. anniversary or something. :D

dang it Rambler, you will do anything to avoid golfing with me wouldn't you? Seriously though, hope you get well soon. Are you icing it? A bucket with icy water for that foot could be the ticket.

As I told the ex-GF... It's not you, it's me. Honest. :alien:
Really bummed - was filling this week up with golf, including a couple of THPer rounds. D'oh!! Several ice sessions, so far, and a couple of anti-inflammatory doses.

Wow Rambler! That's hitting it pretty hard. I have a vacation week next week, but I won't be getting that much in. (If anyone is interested). I hope that you feel better by the 17th. I was hoping to get up to Kansasville.
Unfortunately I won't be available this weekend. Something about 33rd. anniversary or something. :D

Congrats, Lance! Hope you and the missus have a great weekend. Regarding Brighton Dale Links, I plan on being able to play the 17th. Also, I played both 18-hole courses this weekend. Much more "traditional" courses - tree-lined, with some hilly terrain. I like both of them, as they are much different from my typical "prairie links" style course (I do lean towards the White Birch course for design, though). I have a big gripe, though... The bunkers on the White Birch course were pretty inconsistent, and on one hole was relatively hard - I elected to chip it out (thankfully, it wasn't a deep bunker, and I had enough green to let the ball roll-out). In case anyone gets up in the Kenosha/Racine area, I also had a blast playing the other Kenosha County course, Petrifying Springs. It's a short course (5900 yards), but is really traditional - lots of trees, hilly, and many postage-stamp-sized greens. I had fun with a couple of elevated tees, and a few completely blind shots.

You might have to count me out for the 17th. I've got a lot going on currently, and just don't know that I'll be able to swing it now. I'll let you know if that changes.

Good luck in your recovery Rambler. Sounds like you've been putting in a lot of rounds!

How busy is it out there at that time? Can you get 18 in before dark? Sounds really tempting to sneak away and join you guys. I've got the golf pass too... 2 for 1!

Finishing 18 should not be an issues...pretty tight routing. I have never played over 4:15 there. Don't really know what weekday afternoons are like but I would assume quicker than weekend.
Let me know if you are in, and I'll call and make a tee time....dropped it to one when Rambler went down.

Finishing 18 should not be an issues...pretty tight routing. I have never played over 4:15 there. Don't really know what weekday afternoons are like but I would assume quicker than weekend.
Let me know if you are in, and I'll call and make a tee time....dropped it to one when Rambler went down.

Are you still planning on playing with rambler dropping out?

Are you still planning on playing with rambler dropping out?

Yes, I am going. I only get to play about 5 midweek rounds a year.. If you can make it happen ill call and make a tee time. As of now I'm a single.
Byron

Yes, I am going. I only get to play about 5 midweek rounds a year.. If you can make it happen ill call and make a tee time. As of now I'm a single.
Byron

I can't very well leave a THPer to go it alone on a precious midweek round. Ok, count me in. Fair warning, I'm going through some swing changes and my game is a mess right now. Be prepared. It's that bad.

I can't very well leave a THPer to go it alone on a precious midweek round. Ok, count me in. Fair warning, I'm going through some swing changes and my game is a mess right now. Be prepared. It's that bad.

My best friend is doing the same thing...he has put up some numbers in the 120's 130's and this is a guy who could shoot high 80's in april....we still manage to have fun!

yeah, Im super inconsistent...I could should 85 or 95 or worse for that matter.....I will have fun! awesome see you at 4, and you will be the first THP'er I have met.

Who's up for a get together this fall still have a few vac. left iam open to a fri, sat round??

407336329.jpg

Who's up for a get together this fall still have a few vac. left iam open to a fri, sat round??

My Saturdays are pretty open other than the Taylormade weekend. When are you thinking?

Pretty open i just checked lake geneva has fall rates sept.23-oct.13 $79-$59 just throughing it out there??
like to get out once more with some thper's before:snowman: the snow flys again haha...

http://www.grandgeneva.com/golf-lake-geneva/index.asp

Another option at Lake Geneva, GN has a all you can play rate as well. For the same money I far prefer Geneva National. Three really solid courses. They also run really reasonable stay and play if anyone needs lodging. Good location, pull chi and wi guys!

http://www.genevanationalresort.com/page.php?page_id=5525

Agreed nice course 36 + holes $120 bucks iam in any one else???

I don't think I could do the unlimited Mon- Thur, but I could probably play on a Sat or Sun.

Maybe sat. sept,28??

Hmmmm. That would mean sacrificing the Fighting Irish v. Oklahoma. That's hard, but I think I could swing it.
Every week is big in college football.

Just played Blackstone in Marengo. Really impressed, fast greens. Enjoyed the layout, nice mix of holes. Anyone else been, what were your impressions?

i just played White Hawk Course (Crowne Point , IN) yesterday ... this was my first time playing the course. Its about 1 hour south from Chicago Loop.

I heard really good things about this course based off previous reviews, but i was not very impressed. There are 4 9's there and i played the Black/Silver combo.
Silver is their newest 9 there (which has only been open to non-members for 2 years). The slope on Silver is 140 from the tips and 137 from the blues. Courses that are this difficult are fun sometimes, but this course was not fun. On most par 4's (most over 400 yards), you couldnt even hit driver because the fairways had enviormentally protected wetlands running through the middle of the course. (i would say 5 of the 9 on silverhawk 9 required a carry of about 150 yards-200 yards over wetlands) You had to hit hybrid to 200 yards (which is where the wetlands would begin), then hit a 3w to get to the green in 2.
I was also playing with my GF who can really drive the ball well. However, even from the red tees, you had the choice to muscle a drive 220 over the wetlands, or hit a PW 100 yards then be left with 200 to carry which is nearly impossible for average women. Terrible design.

Another huge complaint of mine is that the GPS units in the Cart were inaccurate and very old. MY GPS had to be reset 3x during the 18holes. Followed by this, the proshop does not offer yardage books for sale! Seriously??? .... The greens were true and the fairways were maintained, but this course is set up very poorly. I wont be back. Our round took about 5 hours as it seems members will rotate from one 9 to the next 9 without any order. We had a 3some playing behind us who was on their 4th set of 9holes today...

i just played White Hawk Course (Crowne Point , IN) yesterday ... this was my first time playing the course. Its about 1 hour south from Chicago Loop.

I heard really good things about this course based off previous reviews, but i was not very impressed. There are 4 9's there and i played the Black/Silver combo.
Silver is their newest 9 there (which has only been open to non-members for 2 years). The slope on Silver is 140 from the tips and 137 from the blues. Courses that are this difficult are fun sometimes, but this course was not fun. On most par 4's (most over 400 yards), you couldnt even hit driver because the fairways had enviormentally protected wetlands running through the middle of the course. (i would say 5 of the 9 on silverhawk 9 required a carry of about 150 yards-200 yards over wetlands) You had to hit hybrid to 200 yards (which is where the wetlands would begin), then hit a 3w to get to the green in 2.
I was also playing with my GF who can really drive the ball well. However, even from the red tees, you had the choice to muscle a drive 220 over the wetlands, or hit a PW 100 yards then be left with 200 to carry which is nearly impossible for average women. Terrible design.

Another huge complaint of mine is that the GPS units in the Cart were inaccurate and very old. MY GPS had to be reset 3x during the 18holes. Followed by this, the proshop does not offer yardage books for sale! Seriously??? .... The greens were true and the fairways were maintained, but this course is set up very poorly. I wont be back. Our round took about 5 hours as it seems members will rotate from one 9 to the next 9 without any order. We had a 3some playing behind us who was on their 4th set of 9holes today...

That's a shame. Sucks to have potential for a great challenging course, and then the course is just over designed.

That's a shame. Sucks to have potential for a great challenging course, and then the course is just over designed.

Exactly. But some of the features of White Hawk were really nice. I did enjoy the greens and fairways/teeboxes were immaculate.

Hey, all. I've been laying low, letting my foot heal-up. Unfortunately, I'm now dealing with a slightly ailing back - no real pain, but stiffness and soreness. Have never had any back issues, previously, so I'm being very conservative with my activities. Not going to golf until next Saturday, assuming continued improvement. Hope everyone else is getting some time on the range/course; weather has been beautiful.

Hey, all. I've been laying low, letting my foot heal-up. Unfortunately, I'm now dealing with a slightly ailing back - no real pain, but stiffness and soreness. Have never had any back issues, previously, so I'm being very conservative with my activities. Not going to golf until next Saturday, assuming continued improvement. Hope everyone else is getting some time on the range/course; weather has been beautiful.

Sorry to here that Rambler. Good luck in getting better!

Back