Chicago area thread (Northern IL, Milwaukee, Northern Indiana too)

Stony Creek in Oak Lawn has an executive course and grass hitting stations. I played there with some buddies and it was a pretty good park district course. The Golf Center of Des Plaines has 3 levels of mats, grass areas, a short game area, and a lighted par-3 9 hole course. I don't know which one would be closer for you, but I grew up in Oak Park, and I agree that Fresh Meadows isn't a very good range.
Des Plaines is nice. The short game area is awesome, and only $7 for the whole day! Too far for me now, since moving.

anybody played Bowes Creek before? Its located in Elgin, IL.... Im teein it up for the first time there tmrw for the holiday. Its got a "member for a day" type green fees so im hoping to play 27 or 36 tmrw ...

Bowes is very good...I Just don't get there often cause i can walk The Highlands for 46 on weekends....You will like Bowes!

Just played it 3 weeks ago. We played 36. You will love the course, one of the best in the area IMO

Make sure you get there early enough so you can take advantage of the awesome driving range and short game area

nice! how did you shoot? i heard that the fairway pot bunkers can be brutal ...

pretty excited to get up this way for the THP event this weekend.
Certainly wish more in this thread were coming, but getting to meet 28 THPers or so is never a bad thing.

pretty excited to get up this way for the THP event this weekend.
Certainly wish more in this thread were coming, but getting to meet 28 THPers or so is never a bad thing.

i would have loved to play, but i only just joined the forum a few weeks ago. After i settle in here a bit i plan on making a roadtrip/vaca to a THP event soon. i noticed the Las Vegas event is closed as i have a condo in Henderson and spend my winters golfin in LV.... should be a great event at the highlands of elgin (5 star course IMO)

i would have loved to play, but i only just joined the forum a few weeks ago. After i settle in here a bit i plan on making a roadtrip/vaca to a THP event soon. i noticed the Las Vegas event is closed as i have a condo in Henderson and spend my winters golfin in LV.... should be a great event at the highlands of elgin (5 star course IMO)

New or not, you are always welcome to join an Invitational. Should be a great time with lots of new faces.

Hi Wolfy and alb0t! I'm glad to see some newer local guys here on THP. Hopefully we can tee it up sometime soon. If you aren't playing in the invitational then maybe in the following weeks.

Stony Creek in Oak Lawn has an executive course and grass hitting stations. The Golf Center of Des Plaines has 3 levels of mats, grass areas, a short game area, and a lighted par-3 9 hole course.

I'll give them both a try next time. As long as I can hit there after dark I'm a happy guy. I'm always open to recommendations to break the cycle of abuse fresh meadows does to my clubs. I have noticed some increased scuffing on my faces from hitting there.

I've been looking over the pictures and info on the highlands and I'm getting worried now. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to break 100.

man golf in vegas in the winters sounds great. I would love to go somewhere warm like once a month in the winters to play but sadly my friends either don't golf or have kids and all that so they can't get away for that kind of thing anymore.

Oak Meadows in Addison has grass tees and a chipping area. Only about 10 minutes from O'hare buckets are $5 and $8. The place is usually empty in the afternoon was there yesterday around 4 I was the only one there. The practice balls are nice and new lol. BTW the course is pretty good also weekdays are $38 to ride I believe. I live in Des Plaines and I prefer that over the Des Plaines Golf center only cause its quieter
Oakmeadows.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
course_photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I usually play mid week so if anybody can get out drop me a pm. Would be glad to play with a fellow THPer

Oak Meadows in Addison has grass tees and a chipping area. Only about 10 minutes from O'hare buckets are $5 and $8. The place is usually empty in the afternoon was there yesterday around 4 I was the only one there. The practice balls are nice and new lol. BTW the course is pretty good also weekdays are $38 to ride I believe. I live in Des Plaines and I prefer that over the Des Plaines Golf center only cause its quieter
Oakmeadows.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
course_photo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] I usually play mid week so if anybody can get out drop me a pm. Would be glad to play with a fellow THPer

oak meadows does have a nice wide range. i am actually playing their sister course friday for a twilight (maple meadows)... i prefer maple over oak, but both are quality tracks. unfortunately we already have a 4some, but i will keep you in mind....

Never played Maple have to give it go. Played at Woodruff in Joliet today. Nothing special, nicely kept course, but no range so the the first few holes were a challenge to find some rhythm.

Oakmeadows.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
course_photo.jpg

I live 5 mins from the course... have played it many times.... If you're ever looking for a round, send me a pm... I'm usually free to play in the afternoons during the week.

good tip on oak meadows, will have to try that out. Anyone take lessons? The pro I've been seeing since I was a teenager moved to AZ so I need a new person. Been considering golftec or this other guy Tim Overman I've heard about from a friend.

On a separate note, anyone want to play Friday or Saturday?

good tip on oak meadows, will have to try that out. Anyone take lessons? The pro I've been seeing since I was a teenager moved to AZ so I need a new person. Been considering golftec or this other guy Tim Overman I've heard about from a friend.

I would if I could.... maybe next time.

i take a lesson or two every here or there. THis summer i have taken 2 lessons thus far. Both at Oak brook Golf Club by their head pro there Trey Van Dyke. He is a great teacher but hes currently not taking many new students on because he is moving into a more administrative role instead of teaching in the near future ...
ive never triend GolfTec myself, but i have only heard positive things .... good luck

any chitowners got some ttimes lined up for this weeked? Should be a nice cool weatherd weekend for a change (might even bust out some pants action) .... i am playing hilldale on saturday then links of carillon on sunday.

Hello people, didn't see a Chicago area thread and thought I would start one so people can talk all things local and maybe play some golf together. I'm always up for a round, especially on Saturdays and occasionally the sneak-out-of-the-office-weekday round. :)

Also, where do you guys hit the range? I've been going to Fresh Meadow of late because of grass tees and late hours and I guess not too bad a drive from downtown. Diversey is awful and I try to avoid that at all costs.

On a side note, Go Hawks!

I go to Diversey most often... I live about a mile from it. I also have become pals with one of the guys there, so I get free balls from time to time. Otherwise I hit the practice area down at harborside.

any chitowners got some ttimes lined up for this weeked? Should be a nice cool weatherd weekend for a change (might even bust out some pants action) .... i am playing hilldale on saturday then links of carillon on sunday.

I am venturing up north and playing thunderhawk on Sunday. It is one of my favorite Chicagoland courses.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for instructors in the North Burbs? I thought maybe some Chicago THPers would know. I'm practically into Wisconsin, so anyone in Southern WI might work too.

I am venturing up north and playing thunderhawk on Sunday. It is one of my favorite Chicagoland courses.

ive never played thunderhawk, how long a drive is it from diversey driving range to thunderhawk? (i also live close to that range at halsted/diversey) ...
my favorite public course in chicago is defintely Harborside

I might play this weekend if I find a game. Never played thunderhawk. First time I've ever heard of it actually. I've only played one of the Harborside courses. I played Cog Hill #2 a few weeks ago. That's a really nice facility over there. One day when I feel like torturing myself I'm going to play #4. People tell me it's brutal... and it's $155.

Thunderhawk is gorgeous! For the guys that said you haven't been there, it's definitely worth checking out.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for instructors in the North Burbs? I thought maybe some Chicago THPers would know. I'm practically into Wisconsin, so anyone in Southern WI might work too.

Sorry, no tips from me on instructors, haven't had any lessons. Just curious where you're at in northern Illinois? There's a couple of us up here; Rambler is also on the IL-WI border. I haven't had a chance to meet up with any THPers yet.

I'm in Spring Grove, about 10 minutes from the border.

Thunderhawk is the one Lake County Forest Preserve course I haven't played. I've always wanted to try it, maybe some time this year.

Ahh very close. I love Pro Circle. I haven't actually gone there in years, but high school and before, I went there all the time. I live in Ingleside. What courses do you like to play around here?

Back